PDA

View Full Version : [edubuntu] "Accidently" installed edubuntu, want to revert to ubuntu 11.04

SIkelelaS
July 3rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
I am very much the absolute beginner having just installed ubuntu 11.04 onto a laptop just a few days ago. I've loved doing it and am enjoying exploring this world.

I was browsing the software centre and found edubuntu which looked great for our kids. After restarting the computer for something else I found that it was now running as edubuntu rather than ubuntu.

My preference would be to run ubuntu rather than edubuntu. This may not be an issue and if so please feel free to say so. Alternatively could someone explain how to revert to the standard ubuntu?

wolfen69
July 3rd, 2011, 05:50 PM
Just do

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
then log out and select ubuntu desktop session.

createdcreature
July 3rd, 2011, 05:53 PM
Use command sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop, like they said. Or reinstall.

srisharan
July 3rd, 2011, 05:55 PM
Edbuntu runs with the Ubuntu desktop doesn't it?I thought it only has a few extra educational packages,so it should not matter

arochester
July 3rd, 2011, 05:56 PM
On the sign in page, where you put in your username and password, you should be able to choose "session". Choose Gnome.

To remove Edubuntu altogether look at http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

SIkelelaS
July 3rd, 2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks everyone, that seemed to solve it.

I still have the edubuntu screen at login with no option for a different session. However the actual desktop has reverted back to what I wanted.

Thanks for taking the time to respond

wolfen69
July 3rd, 2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks everyone, that seemed to solve it.

I still have the edubuntu screen at login with no option for a different session. However the actual desktop has reverted back to what I wanted.

Thanks for taking the time to respond

For future reference, at the login screen click your name first and then you will see the sessions at the bottom. Switch it there, then give your password.