PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Looking for the most ubuntu supported wireless pci card for my desktop

Extol11
June 27th, 2011, 01:15 AM
I'm thinking of adding a wireless antenna to my desktop since I want to get rid of the cable going outside my window into the other room. I know some cards have trouble with their drivers or performance in Ubuntu so I was wondering if there's a way of finding the best brand and model to get so I know I won't have any problems with it on my Ubuntu installation. A webpage, a place where people post their cards and how good they perform or something like that which can help me get the easiest one to work with. The card would be installed via PCI and the room with the router is pretty much in front of this one. Thanks in advance.

Talon2
June 27th, 2011, 01:30 AM
The answers I can provide depend on which version of Ubuntu you are running. If you are still running 10.04, the best I can do is recommend g hardware. I'm sure others would need this info also.

nm_geo
June 27th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I'm thinking of adding a wireless antenna to my desktop since I want to get rid of the cable going outside my window into the other room. I know some cards have trouble with their drivers or performance in Ubuntu so I was wondering if there's a way of finding the best brand and model to get so I know I won't have any problems with it on my Ubuntu installation. A webpage, a place where people post their cards and how good they perform or something like that which can help me get the easiest one to work with. The card would be installed via PCI and the room with the router is pretty much in front of this one. Thanks in advance.

Don't have a specific recommendation, but I would make sure is not the latest card out there and that it is manufactured by Intel (not broadcom :)). if you were looking for a laptop wireless card I would recommend the same. Intel wireless are usually built in to the kernels and work right out of the box.

Extol11
June 27th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks a whole lot. I'm currently using Ubuntu 11.04 on this desktop but on my main one I have 10.04. I'll make sure to get one made by intel then and I had heard that (for some reason) they drop some drivers to add new ones in each version.

lelandnielsen
September 24th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Hi Extol11,
I'm looking to do the same.
What did you get and does it work?
Thanks!