PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox 4 not displaying video on Vimeo and DailyMotion

vbasic321
June 25th, 2011, 01:27 AM
I essentially have all of the latest updates for the Ubuntu 11 Natty OS. I've installed media players and plug-ins and the latest Adobe Flash Player. I could install some media player plugin-ins while others I couldn't. I cannot figure out what else to to. Please help.

My Firefox 4 add-ons are:
Adobe Reader 9.4; DivX Web Player; DivX Browser Plub-in; IcedTea Web Plugin; iTunes Application Detector; mPlayer (Gecko)media player plug-in; QuickTime plug-in 7.6.4 & 7.6.6; RealPlayer 9; Shockwave Flash; VLC multimedia plug-in; Windows Media Player Plug-in and Windows Media Player Plug-in 10

My media players are: Totem, GNOME MPlayer; SMPlayer
My music players are: Banshee; Rhythmbox; GMusicBrowser.

Thanks,
vbasic321

lovinglinux
June 25th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Install Flash-Aid (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flash-aid/) and run the extension wizard. It will detect installed flash plugins, remove them and install the best option according to your system architecture and version. Additionally, it will apply some tweaks that should improve performance.

lambart
November 21st, 2012, 08:57 PM
I just tried Flash-aid. Embedded Vimeo still doesn't work. Videos on vimeo.com will play but sometimes embedded is the only kind available.

lambart
November 21st, 2012, 09:00 PM
P.S. Ubuntu 12.04, Firefox 16.0.2

lambart
November 21st, 2012, 09:14 PM
Update: Although the Vimeo flash player was loading with a click on the player (i.e. to tell Flashblock to load the .SWF file), it apparently needed to load further flash crapola from vimeo.com.

Adding player.vimeo.com to my Flashblock whitelist fixed the problem. I realize this won't help the original poster since s/he did not report having Flashblock installed. But hopefully it will help someone else. And if you don't have Flashblock installed, you should! Unrestricted Flash is a security issue not to mention an invitation to obnoxious advertising nightmares.

Wild Man
November 21st, 2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks for sharing and please do not post in threads that have not had activity for a year or longer, since this is an old thread it has been closed.