PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Headphone jack not working

n3xsolo
June 25th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Hello, I'm having a problem getting the headphone jack to work, I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 and had the same problem when I was using 10.10. When I plug in a USB headset it recognises that and it works but doesn't work for jack headphones.
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=f1e393fb2595b4525730c1a8831cb8e2f5b78495
^thats the link for the information thing.
Thanks for any help.

n3xsolo
June 25th, 2011, 08:41 PM
bump

lidex
June 26th, 2011, 08:00 AM
This is a relatively rare comp. on these forums and I know I recently saw a thread regarding same. But I cannot for the life of me remember what the fix was. Grrr. Anyway, try this:

echo "options snd-hda-intel model=ref" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf Reboot

n3xsolo
June 26th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I pasted that code into terminal, rebooted and now I've got no sound and the option to change the connector (the one under balance) has gone it sound preferences.

lidex
June 26th, 2011, 10:11 PM
OK. To edit that:

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base .conf
Where you see the line with model=ref change the modelname to each of these in turn:

ref Reference board
dell-m42 Dell (unknown)
dell-m43 Dell Precision
dell-m44 Dell Inspiron
eapd Keep EAPD on (e.g. Gateway T1616)
auto BIOS setup (default)
I'd go from the bottom up. Save each change then reload alsa to initialize:

sudo alsa force-reload

n3xsolo
June 26th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I only get two:
options snd-hda-intel model=ref
which bit do I change?

lidex
June 27th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I'd remove the last line completely and edit the one remaining.

n3xsolo
June 27th, 2011, 12:18 AM
I don't get it:( can you post exactly what the code should look like afterwards? (sorry in advance for being a n00b)

lidex
June 27th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Use the model names from the left column.

options snd-hda-intel model=auto

n3xsolo
June 27th, 2011, 12:46 AM
when I use the Dell Inspirion as a ref I get a bit of sound in the left ear and it's making me start to think that it could possibly be the actually jack that's broken. Only thing is when it's on the speaker connector and I plug headphones into the jack the sound goes off so I assume it's not broken.

lidex
June 27th, 2011, 06:40 AM
when I use the Dell Inspirion as a ref I get a bit of sound in the left ear and it's making me start to think that it could possibly be the actually jack that's broken. Only thing is when it's on the speaker connector and I plug headphones into the jack the sound goes off so I assume it's not broken.

If you get a response then try tweaking settings, preferences, etc, as new options/elements may be enabled.