PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] ffmpeg to .flv quality issues

richie bee
June 24th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I am using this simple command to convert to .flv

ffmpeg -i test.mp4 -sameq -acodec libfacc -s 480x320 test.flv

the sound is o.k. but not great how can I improve it,

I have seen somewhere that libfaac is not the best audio codec.

andrew.46
June 24th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Can you post the complete terminal output from your command?

richie bee
June 25th, 2011, 11:36 AM
link to playing test files (http://wiziwiz.com/test.html) :popcorn:

Code:

ffmpeg -i test.mp4 -sameq -acodec libfaac -s 480x320 test.flv

Output:

$ ffmpeg -i test.mp4 -sameq -acodec libfacc -s 480x320 test.flv
FFmpeg version 0.6.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
built on Dec 4 2010 15:35:31 with gcc 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-48)
configuration: --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --shlibdir=/usr/lib64 --mandir=/usr/share/man --incdir=/usr/include --disable-avisynth --extra-cflags='-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic -fPIC' --enable-avfilter --enable-avfilter-lavf --enable-libdirac --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaadbin --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libx264 --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --enable-shared --enable-swscale --enable-vdpau --enable-version3 --enable-x11grab
libavutil 50.15. 1 / 50.15. 1
libavcodec 52.72. 2 / 52.72. 2
libavformat 52.64. 2 / 52.64. 2
libavdevice 52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0
libavfilter 1.19. 0 / 1.19. 0
libswscale 0.11. 0 / 0.11. 0
libpostproc 51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'test.mp4':
Metadata:
major_brand : isom
minor_version : 1
compatible_brands: isomavc1
Duration: 00:01:57.36, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 2672 kb/s
Stream #0.0(und): Video: h264, yuv420p, 1280x720 [PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 2513 kb/s, 30 fps, 30 tbr, 30k tbn, 60 tbc
Stream #0.1(und): Audio: aac, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16, 157 kb/s
Unknown encoder 'libfacc'
[richie@web1 testing]$ ffmpeg -i test.mp4 -sameq -acodec libfaac -s 480x320 test.flv
FFmpeg version 0.6.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
built on Dec 4 2010 15:35:31 with gcc 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-48)
configuration: --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --shlibdir=/usr/lib64 --mandir=/usr/share/man --incdir=/usr/include --disable-avisynth --extra-cflags='-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic -fPIC' --enable-avfilter --enable-avfilter-lavf --enable-libdirac --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaadbin --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libx264 --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --enable-shared --enable-swscale --enable-vdpau --enable-version3 --enable-x11grab
libavutil 50.15. 1 / 50.15. 1
libavcodec 52.72. 2 / 52.72. 2
libavformat 52.64. 2 / 52.64. 2
libavdevice 52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0
libavfilter 1.19. 0 / 1.19. 0
libswscale 0.11. 0 / 0.11. 0
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'test.mp4':
Metadata:
major_brand : isom
minor_version : 1
compatible_brands: isomavc1
Duration: 00:01:57.36, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 2672 kb/s
Stream #0.0(und): Video: h264, yuv420p, 1280x720 [PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 2513 kb/s, 30 fps, 30 tbr, 30k tbn, 60 tbc
Stream #0.1(und): Audio: aac, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16, 157 kb/s
Output #0, flv, to 'test.flv':
Metadata:
encoder : Lavf52.64.2
Stream #0.0(und): Video: flv, yuv420p, 480x320 [PAR 32:27 DAR 16:9], q=2-31, 200 kb/s, 1k tbn, 30 tbc
Stream #0.1(und): Audio: libfaac, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16, 64 kb/s
Stream mapping:
Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
Press [q] to stop encoding
frame= 3518 fps= 97 q=0.0 Lsize= 56871kB time=117.28 bitrate=3972.3kbits/s dup=0 drop=1
video:55815kB audio:917kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.245238%

thanks for looking (listening)

andrew.46
June 25th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks for posting the details. Your existing mp4 contains h.264 video and aac sound, both of which live quite happily an an flv container. So perhaps in this case all that is required is:

ffmpeg -i test.mp4 -acodec copy -vcodec copy test.flv

Perhaps this will be enough?

richie bee
June 25th, 2011, 06:31 PM
thanks for the response

I should explain I am trying to perfect this to convert most file types with good quality,

I had tried -acopy and works fine for .mp4 but for a test.mpg didn't work...

FakeOutdoorsman
June 25th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I should explain I am trying to perfect this to convert most file types with good quality

More information would be useful to give example commands more suited for what you want. Why flv? What are using these output files for? I'm assuming you're going to be using them on a web site with a Flash player such as JW Player of Flowplayer, but I can only guess.

richie bee
June 25th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Hi,

good question - the .flv format is for a videosite using latest jwplayer - the idea being that the files have low file sizes equal or lower than the original but still retaining good quality for good streaming speeds, (served by a cnd)

we are also encoding 2 versions in .mp4 for ipod and a higher res for ipad that is not a problem.

but surely tweeking the flash is possible

I have seen some of your other posts and even if it takes a more complex command code I am prepared to go down that path.

FakeOutdoorsman
June 25th, 2011, 11:07 PM
we are also encoding 2 versions in .mp4 for ipod and a higher res for ipad that is not a problem.
How are you encoding the iPod and iPad videos? Can you show your commands? JW Player can handle H.264 in .mp4, so perhaps you can use the iPod or iPad video as the web video too.

I once encoded videos for a client that wanted their videos online using JW Player and a downloadable version that worked on iPod. I just made one output per video that satisfied both requirements instead of making several versions, but your requirements may be different.

richie bee
June 26th, 2011, 12:19 AM
You are right my requirements are different,

I notice also that vimeo.com have chosen the .mp4 route and html5 video also requires multiple format - but then why do the majority youtube.com still use .flv?

FakeOutdoorsman
June 26th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Most YouTube videos I encounter these days are in the MP4 container, and the Wikipedia entry on Youtube (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youtube#Quality_and_codecs) seems to support that assumption.

richie bee
June 28th, 2011, 06:07 PM
O.k. you are right - looks like they have moved towards .mp4

staying on .flv I have tweeked my .flv conversion to something I am quite happy with,

ffmpeg -i test.mp4 -vcodec libx264 -vpre fast -crf 26 -acodec libfaac -ab 256k -ar 48000 tues2.flv

however I have not set a width or height as I want to convert all types of sizes and keep their aspect ratio...

however I do want to scale them to about 720 px how do i go about doing this with ffmpeg?

FakeOutdoorsman
June 28th, 2011, 08:30 PM
however I do want to scale them to about 720 px how do i go about doing this with ffmpeg?

The best way to do this would be with the scale filter in FFmpeg. Unfortunately, as of Natty, the repository FFmpeg does not include filters (at least last time I checked), so you will have to compile FFmpeg to gain this functionality. Here are some easy to follow instructions:

HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095)

Your command will need to be updated because the syntax has changed when using libx264 with a newer FFmpeg, and because you can now use scale. By "720" I assume you mean height?

ffmpeg -i test.mp4 -vcodec libx264 -preset fast -crf 26 -threads 0 -vf scale="trunc(oh*a*2)/2:720" -acodec libfaac -aq 100 tues2.flv
This should scale everything to be 720 pixels high while (mostly) preserving the aspect ratio. The output width will vary depending on the width of the input. I also added -threads 0 which will tell libx264 to use an appropriate value of "threads" for your CPU and will decrease the encoding time. I changed -ab 256k to -aq 100 which I assume is the equivalent of faac -q 100 and should end up being variable bitrate (VBR) audio.

Depending on your flash player, you may need to run the FFmpeg output through flvtool++, flvtool2, flvmeta, or any other similar tool (otherwise the player may not show a correct duration or may not even play it). I'm not sure how important this step is these days since I never use flv.

richie bee
June 28th, 2011, 10:54 PM
thanks for that, glad there is a solution...

so my install FFmpeg version 0.6.1 won't cut it for the scaling feature?

I am going for a 720 width for web

FakeOutdoorsman
June 28th, 2011, 11:27 PM
so my install FFmpeg version 0.6.1 won't cut it for the scaling feature?
No.

I am going for a 720 width for web
That's important information. If you want this then your command will change:

scale="720:trunc(ow/a/2)*2"

richie bee
June 28th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I understand ffmpeg has gone through some big changes in the past 6 months so if I am upgrading is it any different to those instructions from 2008 in your link?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095

FakeOutdoorsman
June 28th, 2011, 11:57 PM
If you scroll down to the bottom of the post you'll see "Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; 5 Days Ago at 05:11 PM".

richie bee
June 29th, 2011, 12:04 AM
wow that's a long thread impressive...

so the latest is called "love" http://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html#release_0.8
maybe they named it that as they have had a bit of falling out internally lately.

richie bee
June 29th, 2011, 09:59 AM
O.k. I am upgrading to latest ffmpeg and will test,

do you know a good place to grab some test files in different formats,?

mov,wmv,mp4,mpg, etc

andrew.46
June 29th, 2011, 10:00 AM
do you know a good place to grab some test files in different formats,?

mov,wmv,mp4,mpg, etc

The definitive collection:

http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/

richie bee
June 29th, 2011, 10:40 AM
wow thanks

there some weird ones out there and so many!:shock:

andrew.46
June 29th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Indeed! Just remember that some of these are broken files put there for testing but it is still a huuuuuuuge collection of very useful media files.

richie bee
June 29th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I'm struggling to get ffmpeg-php to compile. I've tried the release version of 0.8 and the svn version, but I'm getting the following errors:

Any ideas?

/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:74: error: 'MAX_STREAMS' undeclared here (not in a function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function '_php_get_video_stream':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:154: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_VIDEO' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:154: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:154: error: for each function it appears in.)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function '_php_get_audio_stream':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:167: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_AUDIO' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function '_php_open_movie_file':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:260: warning: 'av_open_input_file' is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/libavformat/avformat.h:1086)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function '_php_get_decoder_context':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:486: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_VIDEO' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function 'zim_ffmpeg_movie_getComment':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:533: error: 'AVFormatContext' has no member named 'comment'
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:533: error: 'AVFormatContext' has no member named 'comment'
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function 'zim_ffmpeg_movie_getTitle':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:548: error: 'AVFormatContext' has no member named 'title'
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:548: error: 'AVFormatContext' has no member named 'title'
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function 'zim_ffmpeg_movie_getAuthor':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:563: error: 'AVFormatContext' has no member named 'author'
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:563: error: 'AVFormatContext' has no member named 'author'
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function 'zim_ffmpeg_movie_getCopyright':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:577: error: 'AVFormatContext' has no member named 'copyright'
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:577: error: 'AVFormatContext' has no member named 'copyright'
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function 'zim_ffmpeg_movie_getAlbum':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:592: error: 'AVFormatContext' has no member named 'album'
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:592: error: 'AVFormatContext' has no member named 'album'
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function 'zim_ffmpeg_movie_getGenre':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:606: error: 'AVFormatContext' has no member named 'genre'
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:606: error: 'AVFormatContext' has no member named 'genre'
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function 'zim_ffmpeg_movie_getTrackNumber':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:621: error: 'AVFormatContext' has no member named 'track'
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function 'zim_ffmpeg_movie_getYear':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:634: error: 'AVFormatContext' has no member named 'year'
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function '_php_get_framerate':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:680: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_VIDEO' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function '_php_get_framenumber':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:812: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_VIDEO' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function '_php_get_pixelformat':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:852: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_VIDEO' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function 'zim_ffmpeg_movie_getPixelFormat':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:870: warning: 'avcodec_get_pix_fmt_name' is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/libavcodec/avcodec.h:3406)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function '_php_get_codec_name':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:965: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_VIDEO' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function 'zim_ffmpeg_movie_getVideoCodec':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:991: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_VIDEO' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function 'zim_ffmpeg_movie_getAudioCodec':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:1011: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_AUDIO' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function 'zim_ffmpeg_movie_getVideoStreamId':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:1031: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_VIDEO' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function 'zim_ffmpeg_movie_getAudioStreamId':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:1053: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_AUDIO' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function 'zim_ffmpeg_movie_getAudioChannels':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:1091: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_AUDIO' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function 'zim_ffmpeg_movie_getAudioSampleRate':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:1127: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_AUDIO' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function 'zim_ffmpeg_movie_getAudioBitRate':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:1163: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_AUDIO' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function 'zim_ffmpeg_movie_getVideoBitRate':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:1183: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_VIDEO' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function '_php_read_av_frame':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:1206: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_VIDEO' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:1217: warning: implicit declaration of function 'avcodec_decode_video'
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:1221: error: 'PKT_FLAG_KEY' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function '_php_get_av_frame':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:1248: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_VIDEO' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:1284: error: 'AVCodecContext' has no member named 'hurry_up'
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:1286: error: 'AVCodecContext' has no member named 'hurry_up'
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c: In function '_php_get_sample_aspect_ratio':
/root/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg-php/trunk/ffmpeg-php/ffmpeg_movie.c:1445: error: 'CODEC_TYPE_VIDEO' undeclared (first use in this function)
make: *** [ffmpeg_movie.lo] Error 1

FakeOutdoorsman
June 29th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Sorry. I've never used ffmpeg-php. Just so you know, it's not an official FFmpeg project, so you won't get any help at #ffmpeg or the ffmpeg-user mailing list.

richie bee
June 29th, 2011, 07:48 PM
O.k. a friend think he has fixed ffmpeg-php for me

Back to the video -

I have just tested the new command you suggested

ffmpeg -i test.mov -vcodec libx264 -preset fast -crf 23 -threads 0 -vf scale=\"720:trunc(ow/a/2)*2\" -acodec libfaac -aq 100 test.flv

looks good however the sound is bad - what I could only describe as slipping form fast to normal trying to keep up with the video...

FakeOutdoorsman
June 29th, 2011, 08:07 PM
looks good however the sound is bad - what I could only describe as slipping form fast to normal trying to keep up with the video...

With what player? Your flash one on the web site? Does it play as expected with ffplay?

ffplay input.flv

richie bee
June 29th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I dont have ffplay

I am testing on the web with jwplayer latest version

richie bee
June 29th, 2011, 11:17 PM
tried again and got this

$ ffmpeg -i VID.mov -vcodec libx264 -preset fast -crf 23 -threads 0 -vf scale=\"720:trunc(ow/a/2)*2\" -acodec libfaac -aq 100 test.flv
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

FakeOutdoorsman
June 30th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Remove the backslashes:

scale="720:trunc(ow/a/2)*2"

richie bee
June 30th, 2011, 08:19 AM
O.K. that works,

still got that "slipping" sound issue though -sort of breaking up trying to catch up...just a bit.

its the same in different players.

ffmpeg -i VID.mov -vcodec libx264 -preset fast -crf 23 -threads 0 -vf scale="720:trunc(ow/a/2)*2" -acodec libfaac -aq 100 wed4.flv
ffmpeg version 0.8, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
built on Jun 29 2011 13:47:11 with gcc 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-50)
configuration: --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --shlibdir=/usr/lib64 --mandir=/usr/share/man --incdir=/usr/include --enable-shared --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-pthreads --enable-x11grab --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-zlib --enable-swscale
libavutil 51. 9. 1 / 51. 9. 1
libavcodec 53. 7. 0 / 53. 7. 0
libavformat 53. 4. 0 / 53. 4. 0
libavdevice 53. 1. 1 / 53. 1. 1
libavfilter 2. 23. 0 / 2. 23. 0
libswscale 2. 0. 0 / 2. 0. 0
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x1e151400] max_analyze_duration 5000000 reached at 5013333

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 5000.00 (5000/1) -> 25.00 (25/1)
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'VID.mov':
Metadata:
major_brand : qt
minor_version : 537199360
compatible_brands: qt
creation_time : 2011-06-29 20:36:34
Duration: 00:01:39.37, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 17989 kb/s
Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264 (Main), yuv420p, 1440x1080, 17672 kb/s, PAR 4:3 DAR 16:9, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 2500 tbn, 5k tbc
Metadata:
Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 313 kb/s
Metadata:
Stream #0.2(eng): Data: tmcd / 0x64636D74
Metadata:
[buffer @ 0x1e1758e0] w:1440 h:1080 pixfmt:yuv420p tb:1/1000000 sar:4/3 sws_param:
[scale @ 0x1e196fa0] w:1440 h:1080 fmt:yuv420p -> w:720 h:538 fmt:yuv420p flags:0x4
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] using SAR=4/3
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 FastShuffle SSE4.2
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] profile High, level 3.0
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] 264 - core 115 r2008 4c552d8 - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec - Copyleft 2003-2011 - http://www.videolan.org/x264.html - options: cabac=1 ref=2 deblock=1:0:0 analyse=0x3:0x113 me=hex subme=6 psy=1 psy_rd=1.00:0.00 mixed_ref=1 me_range=16 chroma_me=1 trellis=1 8x8dct=1 cqm=0 deadzone=21,11 fast_pskip=1 chroma_qp_offset=-2 threads=6 sliced_threads=0 nr=0 decimate=1 interlaced=0 bluray_compat=0 constrained_intra=0 bframes=3 b_pyramid=2 b_adapt=1 b_bias=0 direct=1 weightb=1 open_gop=0 weightp=1 keyint=250 keyint_min=25 scenecut=40 intra_refresh=0 rc_lookahead=30 rc=crf mbtree=1 crf=23.0 qcomp=0.60 qpmin=0 qpmax=69 qpstep=4 ip_ratio=1.40 aq=1:1.00
Output #0, flv, to 'wed4.flv':
Metadata:
major_brand : qt
minor_version : 537199360
compatible_brands: qt
encoder : Lavf53.4.0
Stream #0.0(eng): Video: libx264, yuv420p, 720x538 [PAR 4:3 DAR 480:269], q=2-31, 200 kb/s, 1k tbn, 25 tbc
Metadata:
Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: libfaac, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 64 kb/s
Metadata:
Stream mapping:
Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
frame= 2484 fps= 50 q=-1.0 Lsize= 14920kB time=00:01:39.28 bitrate=1231.1kbits/s
video:12999kB audio:1795kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.853988%
frame I:59 Avg QP:20.53 size: 22467
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] frame P:1676 Avg QP:24.42 size: 6453
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] frame B:749 Avg QP:27.24 size: 1561
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] consecutive B-frames: 54.1% 14.7% 6.6% 24.5%
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] mb I I16..4: 20.2% 61.2% 18.6%
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] mb P I16..4: 6.8% 11.7% 2.1% P16..4: 23.9% 9.7% 4.3% 0.0% 0.0% skip:41.4%
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] mb B I16..4: 1.0% 1.9% 0.4% B16..8: 10.6% 3.8% 0.5% direct: 5.0% skip:76.9% L0:36.5% L1:49.8% BI:13.7%
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] 8x8 transform intra:57.3% inter:72.4%
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] coded y,uvDC,uvAC intra: 47.8% 54.1% 20.0% inter: 13.8% 13.4% 1.2%
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] i16 v,h,dc,p: 34% 43% 4% 19%
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] i8 v,h,dc,ddl,ddr,vr,hd,vl,hu: 19% 20% 21% 5% 7% 7% 7% 6% 7%
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] i4 v,h,dc,ddl,ddr,vr,hd,vl,hu: 24% 23% 16% 5% 8% 7% 7% 5% 5%
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] i8c dc,h,v,p: 57% 20% 16% 7%
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] Weighted P-Frames: Y:2.0% UV:1.4%
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] ref P L0: 83.1% 16.9%
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] ref B L0: 88.8% 11.2%
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] ref B L1: 97.6% 2.4%
[libx264 @ 0x1e158420] kb/s:1071.65

richie bee
June 30th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I think that -aq is only for libmp3lame (vbr mp3, values 1-9, where 9 is highest compression). FFmpeg says...
Code:
-aq quality set audio quality (codec-specific)
For aac do I need other settings?

FakeOutdoorsman
June 30th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I dont have ffplay
FFplay should be built if you followed the compile instructions or if you use FFmpeg from the repository. Did you compile this on a headless machine or omit the sdl dependency?

still got that "slipping" sound issue though -sort of breaking up trying to catch up...just a bit.
It's hard to say what is going on. Do you have a sample you can provide? Did you try flvtool++ or any of the other flv metadata tools I mentioned? Perhaps a different audio encoder will have better results:

ffmpeg -i VID.mov -vcodec libx264 -preset fast -crf 23 -threads 0 -vf scale="720:trunc(ow/a/2)*2" -acodec libmp3lame -aq 5 -ar 44100 wed4.flv

Or maybe .mp4 as the output container will perform as expected:

$ ffmpeg -i VID.mov -vcodec libx264 -preset fast -crf 23 -threads 0 -vf scale="720:trunc(ow/a/2)*2" -acodec libfaac -aq 100 wed4.mp4
$ qt-faststart wed4.mp4 output.mp4
qt-faststart will re-arrange some data in the .mp4 so the video can begin to play before it is completely downloaded, otherwise the whole video must download before it will start playing in the flash player.

its the same in different players.
Which different players?

I think that -aq is only for libmp3lame (vbr mp3, values 1-9, where 9 is highest compression). FFmpeg says...
Code:
-aq quality set audio quality (codec-specific)
For aac do I need other settings?

You can use -aq with libfaac too, but the values differ between encoders. -aq 100 should be similar to "faac -q 100", an -aq 5 should be similar to "lame -V 5". See "man faac" and "man lame" for more info on those options and values.

richie bee
June 30th, 2011, 10:48 PM
libmp3lame fixed it thanks

richie bee
July 1st, 2011, 09:05 PM
I now have a new issue since upgrading to ffmpeg 8

my iphone command dosen't work now because of libfaac

ffmpeg -i *INPUT FILE* -vcodec libx264 -vpre hq -vpre ipod640 -b 250k -bt 50k -acodec libfaac -ab 56k -ac 2 -s 480x320 *OUTPUT FILE*.mp4"

FakeOutdoorsman
July 1st, 2011, 09:59 PM
Please provide enough information that the problem can be duplicated by others. By "doesn't work" do you mean FFmpeg isn't working, or the iPhone isn't working, or something else? Any actual errors you are receiving would be useful to know.

richie bee
July 1st, 2011, 10:50 PM
the video was outputted but was really small and not even a second long

the error was -vpre hq not recognised so took it out

ffmpeg -i VID.mov -vcodec libx264 -vpre ipod640 -b 250k -bt 50k -acodec libfaac -ab 56k -ac 2 -s 480x320 iphone.mp4

now it is converting but the video quality is bad and resized and no audio.

so really need to start again from scratch and do this properly.

would like to use the libx264 scaling... however open to recommendations

would really appreciate it if you could suggest a better command for good iphone .mp4conversion

FakeOutdoorsman
July 2nd, 2011, 01:19 AM
I now have a new issue since upgrading to ffmpeg 8
I assumed you followed this guide: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095).

This provides FFmpeg from Git, and not FFmpeg 0.8 as you say you're using. Are you even using Ubuntu? I saw "Red Hat" in one of your previous posts.

the video was outputted but was really small and not even a second long

the error was -vpre hq not recognised so took it out

ffmpeg -i VID.mov -vcodec libx264 -vpre ipod640 -b 250k -bt 50k -acodec libfaac -ab 56k -ac 2 -s 480x320 iphone.mp4

now it is converting but the video quality is bad and resized and no audio.
When you are having problems with FFmpeg, always show the complete terminal output with your FFmpeg command. The FFmpeg output provides useful information. Otherwise, I would have to guess what your issues are.

would like to use the libx264 scaling... however open to recommendations
Do my previous scale examples not work for you?

would really appreciate it if you could suggest a better command for good iphone .mp4conversion
I don't own an iDevice to test with so my suggestions may not work for you.