PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to fix Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to play audio cds?

Waffle-King
June 23rd, 2011, 01:49 AM
Recently, I upgraded to Ubuntu version 10.04 LTS from version 9.04. However, if I put I CD in my computer, the computer doesn't even know that it contains an audio disc. The disc isn't found in any audio music program(obviously). I believe the disc drive/hardware is just fine, as I listened to CDs regularly on my computer when I was still using 9.04. Are there any terminal commands or sequences of terminal commands that can remedy this, likely by installing drivers or something?(sorry. I don't know very much "computer-talk") Or perhaps there is an error in the default preferences of the new distro? Any help is appreciated, but I would ideally like to simply have some terminal code to copy and paste. Thanks to anyone who can help!

andrew.46
June 23rd, 2011, 05:09 AM
This problem has popped up a few times recently. Can you play audio cds from the commandline by installing mplayer:

sudo apt-get install mplayer

and then running the following:

mplayer -cache 2048 cdda://

Hopefully this will at least get some music playing, but I am not sure about the underlying issues if this works...

Waffle-King
July 1st, 2011, 01:02 AM
It does play CDs if I run that program, but it only runs in the terminal, so I can't rip audio tracks. I am BUMPing this thread because I now want to know how I might be able to rip audio CDs. Thanks for any relevant responses.

andrew.46
July 1st, 2011, 01:29 AM
I am BUMPing this thread because I now want to know how I might be able to rip audio CDs.

Perhaps this might help:

HOWTO: Convert music CDs to MP3 using the Command Line.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=535950