PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dist upgrade from 9.04

TheMightyGirth
June 21st, 2011, 01:11 PM
Hi All,

I am trying to upgrade a server from 9.04 to the 10.04. Basically as it was running so well it got forgotten about until now and I don't seem to be able to do it.

I understand that I have to update 9.04 to 9.10, then 9.10 to 10.04 however when I follow the "From 9.04 to 9.10" instructions found here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes)I get the following error;

An upgrade from 'jaunty' to 'lucid' is not supported with this tool.

It looks to me like it's trying to do the update in one big jump. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about doing this update.

Thanks in advance

Gareth

brettg
June 22nd, 2011, 03:35 AM
"An upgrade from 'jaunty' to 'lucid"

You clearly have lucid instead of Karmic in your sources.list file.

Fix this with;

sudo sed -i s/lucid/karmic/g /etc/apt/sources.list

Repeat to go to Lucid

sudo sed -i s/karmic/lucid/g /etc/apt/sources.list

Note: If you have references to lucid elsewhere in apt then these need to be removed or changed as well. You can check this with;

grep -r lucid /etc/apt/

You will need to issue an apt-get update command after making these changes of course.

TheMightyGirth
June 22nd, 2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the response Brett,

I have run grep through the sources.lst and checked the rest of /etc/apt and it looks clear. I don't want to risk running this through in the middle of a day (it's 10:15am here) so will give it a shot at the end of the day.

again, thanks for the pointer. I'll post back with my results.

Gareth

TheMightyGirth
June 22nd, 2011, 06:02 PM
Still get the same error after trying the first code. Looking at my sources.list though I only have references to jaunty. I hope that first sed was supposed to be;

sudo sed -i s/jaunty/lucid/g /etc/apt/sources.list

As I'm about to try that instead.

TheMightyGirth
June 22nd, 2011, 06:40 PM
Ok, so that didn't work either.

I have now been through this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades) process and all was going well until it suggested runing do-release-upgrade and I got the same error. Still looks like it's trying to jump a version.

Now running
grep -r lucid / to see what that pulls up

TheMightyGirth
June 22nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
Nope, I got nothing.

I need a way to tell do-release-upgrade to get Karmic not Lucid.

TheMightyGirth
June 23rd, 2011, 11:58 AM
Hi All,

Finally managed to get this to work late last night.

I ended up doing the following;

created new /etc/apt/sources.list as per this page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades/Jaunty) but replaced "old-releases" with "archive" and "jaunty" with "karmic"

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

reboot

lsb_release -a
This then had me at v9.10

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install update-manager-core
(just to be sure)

reboot

do-release-upgrade