PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] slow glxgear and render

xeyos
June 20th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Hello, i've used ubuntu as main system from a few months to now and i'm finding my first big problem.
I can use games and see movies without any problem, even using wine i can play wow at 40+ fps with medium/high options.
Recently i've downloaded and instaled ogre and found that, if i try to render the sample model.. it slows down. It says it is showing about 2kfps, but the model moves as if it was at 1 or 2 fps. By chance, i saw that if i open wow and then render the model of ogre, suddendly it goes smooth.
Trying to find the problem, i went to the system test option of ubuntu11, when i arrieved glxgears test, it showed a really slow performance. Tried with wow opened and... magic!, it runs like hell XD.
Then i tried calling glxgears from console, it says 9k+ fps, but again it went really slow! don't know whats happening.

My specs:
Intel Quad core processor
Nvidia 8800GTX
4 GB ram

I've installed the recommended Nvidia drivers. The xconf section looks like this
Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

I saw that, in the "other drivers" application says that Nvidia driver is installed but not in use. I've readed arround the red that it is a known bug but doesn't matter. Anyway i tried to remove the driver and install int via apt-get, but it seems that if i install it via Apt, the system cannot restart, so i return to the old driver via ubuntu rescue.

¿Any clue of whats happening?
Hope you can help, thank you and excuse my bad english

Temüjin
June 20th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Is vsync on?

xeyos
June 20th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I was working arround this about now... i don't know exactly what that option is but it is posible to change it so.. i was trying. Originaly it was deactivate but, if i check it on the nvidia control panel, glxgears run smooth, but other render programs (such as ogre) continue with the problem.

On this time i have deleted and reinstall all Nvidia drivers. Now i'm working with the ones you can download directly on Nvidia website.

I have now 3 computes with different hadware running now in ubuntu, all of them were installed identically by me. 2 of them are using Nvidia and 1 use ati. The problem exists in this (nvidia) and the one with ATI. The third computer seems to work properly. I can say that on this computer and the other with an Nvidia there are some software installed by me or my brother but, the one with an ati... is almost a fresh install.

New info: By now trying to test glx from the system testing option of ubuntu, do not show the window. The orgre project i was using to test... is not opening anymore...
I forget to say before that the glxgears seems to freeze the computer, not completely but it takes some second to do anything, even move the cursor.

xeyos
June 20th, 2011, 07:07 PM
i've installed nvidia-cg-toolkit so the ogre project runs again, the same problem remains. The glx teststill not working and now glxgears from console goes slow even with the vBlank on.