PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't get it to install !

hulland
June 19th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I want to install Ubuntu 11.04 on an old Sony VAIO.

I have a previous XP Pro installed on it already ( This machine has been reformatted about 12 times over the years--each time flawlessly).

I got the Ubuntu 11.04 iso and burnt it to CD ( after previously checking the MD5 and also verifying the burn).

I boot from the CD--after seeing a tiny logo at the foot of the screen, I then get a row of small flashing dots for some 10 minutes, then I see a microscopic line of text, that mentions " Unexpected error" -- then nothing. No windows of buttons, no choices, no help, no explanation, no advice.

My question is, do I need to format/ remove the partitions on my HD BEFORE trying to install Ubuntu?

What is an " unexpected error" and how do I overcome it?

There seems to be loads of advice about dual booting, VERY LITTLE on line, about running a machine exclusively on Ubuntu, IS THIS NOT RECOMMENDED ? Am I totally - mentally sub-normal, or am I doing something very stupid please?:(

JRV
June 19th, 2011, 07:42 PM
If you can't install from the live desktop CD the first thing to try is the alternate CD.

hulland
June 19th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I just had a vacant pc that I wanted to try Ubuntu on--that was all. --Assumed it would be a relatively simple operation...

Do I need to wipe the hard drive before I install Ubuntu?

Now I have to go looking for an " alternative CD" where do I find that please?

Is installing Ubuntu going to be as simple as a Windows install ( i.e. 20 minutes to up and running) or will I have to become involved in basic software just to get the Ubuntu up and running?:(

Rex Bouwense
June 19th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Wow, I never installed any Microsoft Windows OS in 20 minutes. Anyway, you find an alternate install in the same place that you downloaded the desktop version. It is just a little lower on the list.
You do not need to wipe or format the drive. The installation will do that for you.
Perhaps it is your hardware that is the problem. How old is this old Sony Vaio and what has it got under the hood? It may not be able to take Ubuntu 11.04.

Dutch70
June 19th, 2011, 08:04 PM
It is usually a very simple operation, much simpler than windows. However, it depends on what you're installing it on.

No, you don't need to wipe the hard drive. You will have to format it during the install anyway.

Alternate CD Install is a simple web search away...but I'll give you the link.
http://releases.ubuntu.com/natty/ (http://releases.ubuntu.com/natty/)

hulland
June 20th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Thanks both gentlemen for your prompt reply. As I am new to Ubuntu, I find the list of choices very numerous and overwhelming. I (wrongly) assumed that all Ubuntu versions ran as fast as a rocket on a 356 with 32 MB RAM !

My old steam-driven VAIO is Pentium 3 with 500 RAM-- so perhaps I need to step back several versions to find a less hardware-demanding version? What is a disappointment to me is the complete lack of diagnostic responses from Ubuntu here--no "insufficient RAM", no "hardware below minimum requirements" I mean " unknown error" is so useless, it is worse than no message at all!

Trouble is there are so MANY " experts" out on the net giving Ubuntu rave reviews, and claiming ease and speed unheard of before-making it very attractive. I also have a Pentium 1 laptop with 64 RAM ( honest!) that I manage to run ( a cut-down) XP Professional on, even this machine re formats and installs XP Pro in 30 minutes.It is only used for Skype.

So in a nutshell, which is the most compatible version of Ubuntu that will run happily on a Pentium 3 please?

jtarin
June 20th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Try the Lubuntu (http://lubuntu.net/blog/lubuntu-1004-now-available-download) version. Not as full featured but you can add as you go along.....dependent on your hardware of course. This is a link to the 10.04 version. You can upgrade as you feel like.

Redblade20XX
June 20th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Thanks both gentlemen for your prompt reply. As I am new to Ubuntu, I find the list of choices very numerous and overwhelming. I (wrongly) assumed that all Ubuntu versions ran as fast as a rocket on a 356 with 32 MB RAM !

My old steam-driven VAIO is Pentium 3 with 500 RAM-- so perhaps I need to step back several versions to find a less hardware-demanding version? What is a disappointment to me is the complete lack of diagnostic responses from Ubuntu here--no "insufficient RAM", no "hardware below minimum requirements" I mean " unknown error" is so useless, it is worse than no message at all!

Trouble is there are so MANY " experts" out on the net giving Ubuntu rave reviews, and claiming ease and speed unheard of before-making it very attractive. I also have a Pentium 1 laptop with 64 RAM ( honest!) that I manage to run ( a cut-down) XP Professional on, even this machine re formats and installs XP Pro in 30 minutes.It is only used for Skype.

So in a nutshell, which is the most compatible version of Ubuntu that will run happily on a Pentium 3 please?

You can try linux distribution called Damn Small Linux. Worked on my pentium 4 with 128mb ram.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/