PDA

View Full Version : Virus threat appeared on ubuntu for windows

richa5300
June 18th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I was just surfing online something and the threat infection page appeared suddenly. I didn't get , how it is possible. It is showing Windows security for mozilla in Ubuntu. HOw ?
what should be done?
The screen shot shows the details .
Anyone knows help plz.

nomko
June 18th, 2011, 12:35 PM
You got this when you was browsing on the internet? Then i think, this is a pop-up for some commercial software.

amauk
June 18th, 2011, 12:37 PM
The website mimics windows XP in visual look, and is designed to try and scare you into downloading and running a trojan

Ignore it

lisati
June 18th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

This kind of thing is not new, and references to it crop up in the forums quite regularly.

23dornot23d
June 18th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I think these pages are aimed at windows users ..... to get them to then click onto other links ......

What webpage is it ..... ?

richa5300
June 18th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks to all for reply.
I was trying to download a picture to post on facebook.
I think it was to scare or so as to divert user to download.
@dornot-The web pages were to click on anti virus protection .

richa5300
June 18th, 2011, 12:53 PM
But I have clicked on start protection. :-(

amauk
June 18th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Just ignore it
you're not using windows
therefore the trojan / virus won't work

Just close the site and do something else...

CharlesA
June 18th, 2011, 01:02 PM
It's an advert. Ignore it.

richa5300
June 18th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Oh thax a lot ...to all of u.
I got good knowledge also.
:)

I know red hat linux , ubuntu is new for me. so .

screaminj3sus
June 18th, 2011, 06:51 PM
This is a very common piece of windows malware, known as a "rogue security application" I've actually seen this exact one before, it often shows up in google image search results. It doesn't effect ubuntu at all so you can just close the page.

MonolithImmortal
June 20th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I've gotten this before. I wanted to see if I could make the fakeAV/trojan run in wine so I could see what happened, but no matter what I did I couldn't get it to work. I spent about an hour trying to get it to run, had to track down some dll's. Still couldn't get it to work.
I figure if I can't get it to run with considerable effort, then it's not even remotely a threat.