PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] SMPlayer won't play .iso (video)

TunaCanTommy
June 15th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Funny . . . . SMPlayer is a front-end for MPlayer, I can play an .iso video on MPlayer but not on SMPlayer.

I've used the Mplayer PPA to install MPlayer . . . .

Do I need to set something in the SMPlayer 'Preferences' . . . ?
I looked but didn't see anything related to .iso files ? ?

harrylucas1
June 15th, 2011, 11:58 PM
.Iso file is a virtual disc file. Did you mean you could mount the iso and run a video off that?

TunaCanTommy
June 16th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Didn't try to mount the file . . . if I right-click on the .iso file, I get the choice to open with SMPlayer or MPlayer. If I open it with MPlayer it starts. If I select to open it with SMPlayer - nothing. The SMPlayer GUI comes up but nothing after that.

harrylucas1
June 16th, 2011, 12:08 AM
ISO is not a video file..

harrylucas1
June 16th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Its like trying to bake cookies without any ingredients

TunaCanTommy
June 16th, 2011, 12:20 AM
I made the .iso using DeVeDe. It plays in VLC and MPlayer . . . . looks like a video, smells like a video, barks like a video.

If not a video, what is it ? ?

harrylucas1
June 16th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Oh, so it's a DVD .iso? Didn't realise Player could do that.. Just use VLC, it's the best out of the 3 anyway.

TunaCanTommy
June 16th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Thanks, Harry . . . . not a biggee for me, I was just wondering why it'll play in MPlayer but not SMPlayer.

I'll mark this thread solved.

harrylucas1
June 16th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Probably codec issue, or maybe its unsupported

andrew.46
June 16th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks, Harry . . . . not a biggee for me, I was just wondering why it'll play in MPlayer but not SMPlayer.

I don't suppose that the iso has spaces in its filename? On my own system this and another problem with opening files with SMPlayer from right click was fixed by altering the exec line in the 2 desktop files. Perhaps the easiest way is to drop the two attached desktop files into $HOME/.local/share/applications, they will then take precedence over the system desktop files and hopefully then your iso will play :).

TunaCanTommy
June 16th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Thank you Andrew, I'll give it a try and get back to you.

Edit: No change Andrew. Dropped the files you attached, logged out, the back in. Then I right-clicked on the file - nothing ! Then I tried loading the .iso from the SMPlayer GUI and again it wouldn't play - wouldn't even load. Did the same in Mplayer, with the same .iso, and it loaded and played. Thanks again for the suggestion. I'll look around at some other forums. As I say, this isn't a biggee - just curious.

andrew.46
June 17th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Sorry that did not work for you :(. Seems a little odd, I created an iso of the American version of Solaris and it plays perfectly with SMPlayer, both from right click and from File.. Open... (screenshot attached). Does the filename have spaces?

TunaCanTommy
June 19th, 2011, 01:32 AM
No spaces in the file neme . . . . see attached.

Tryed to play an .iso file called BOL.iso

andrew.46
June 19th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Hmmm... then there is a problem with your copy of either MPlayer or SMPlayer. Could you have a look at the 2 logfiles generated by SMPlayer under Options --> View Logs and see if there is a problem. I attach my own logs with a successful playing of iso file.

TunaCanTommy
June 19th, 2011, 04:36 AM
@Andrw.46: I've looked at yours and at mine . . . nothing pops out as an aberation.
Mine attached . . . .

When I first installed SMPlayer a window opened asking (as best I can remember): "SMPlayer cannot determine your version of MPlayer". I selected the most recent version because I've downloaded MPlayer from the PPA. Could this have caused a problem ? ?

Off topic: By the way. Can't thank you enough for the guidance and toutorial on ABCDE. I use it to rip my audiobooks to ogg-vorbis and it works very well, especially ripping to "one continuous file" - Thanks!

I've also read up on LAME and have adjusted my ABCDE config files to get exactly what works well for my player.

TunaCanTommy
June 19th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Here's a couple of screen-shots of one of my DVD .iso files playing in MPlayer . . . !

andrew.46
June 19th, 2011, 09:08 AM
@Andrw.46: I've looked at yours and at mine . . . nothing pops out as an aberation.

Mind you your successful player is actually the Totem player rather than MPlayer itself. One thing I note in your logs is:

Playing dvd://.
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.

which is a little odd when Totem has no trouble, but I know not a great deal about Totem and iso playback/encrypted DVDs. But certainly the logical thing to do from an MPlayer / SMPlayer perspective is to run the following single command:

sudo apt-get install libdvdread4 && \
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

which might be enough to kickstart SMPlayer into life :). That is quite a modern MPLayer you have btw, is it from the MOTU PPA? I guess they don't use the internal libdvdcss.....

Off topic: By the way. Can't thank you enough for the guidance and toutorial on ABCDE. I use it to rip my audiobooks to ogg-vorbis and it works very well, especially ripping to "one continuous file" - Thanks!

I've also read up on LAME and have adjusted my ABCDE config files to get exactly what works well for my player.

A very popular page that one an I am always glad to hear that it has been of use!

mc4man
June 19th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Maybe try just using mplayer on the iso itself and see if it plays - smplayer passes a lot of options.
What is a bit different than a 'normal' dvd is the audio - mpeg1, even though that's ok for dvd_video all commercial dvds have to include an ac3 stream so likely this was an acquired dvd or file of some sort

You could playing just with mplayer itself to test (choosing title 2 because it looks playable, title 1 may just be a menu

mplayer -dvd-device /home/tom/BOL/BOL.iso dvd://2

If it plays you may want to try to persuade smplayer not to use floatle, ie. turn off equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 (-af scaletempo,equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0

TunaCanTommy
June 19th, 2011, 06:03 PM
The DVD ISO plays fine in (Totem) MPlayer . . . . no problems.

I ran the command suggested by Andrew: libdvdread4 is at current version, libdvdcss2 was installed. Tried again to run the DVD ISO in SMPlayer with no success.

BTW the DVD ISO is one I made from an .avi with DeVeDe.

SMPlayer log attached . . .

@Mac4man I'll get into the SMPlayer config file and see if turning off the equalizer does it. Am right at I can use this option by adding it to the options SMPlayer sends to MPlayer using the SMPlayer GUI ? ?

TunaCanTommy
June 19th, 2011, 06:31 PM
@mc4man: Tried to put the option to turn off the equalizer into the MPlayer options in SMPlayer GUI but they won't stick. Every time I run SMPlayer and come back to the options GUI all the options boxes are empty. (See attached.)

Am I using the correct code:

-af scaletempo,equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0

Am I using the code at the right place ? ?

mc4man
June 19th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Actually I'd just try mplayer itself (meaning mplayer, not Movie Player
I don't think it's the floatle - just remembered I had a dvd with mpeg audio - smplayer plays it fine.

Attached mplayer log - There are 2 small differences from what you get, - concerning the audio stream

Edit: the one that stands out is " [mp2float @ 0xc11320]incomplete frame "

The other reason for trying just mplayer is it looks like smplayer is trying to play title 1, w/ mplayer you can specify a title, title 1 may not be playable

TunaCanTommy
June 19th, 2011, 06:54 PM
@ Andrew.46 and mc4man: Gentlemen, thanks for your interest and assistance. But this seems to be more an issue of my curiosity, as to why the DVD ISO would play in MPlayer and not SMPlayer. And I think my curiosity has been satisfied - "don't know', and I don't think it worth your time and effort to chase it any further.

I can play DVD ISO files in both mplayer and Movie Player, and VLC for that matter.

If I happen to come upon a reason/solution I will post back or PM you gentlemen.

Thanks . . . . . Tom

andrew.46
June 19th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I ran the command suggested by Andrew: libdvdread4 is at current version, libdvdcss2 was installed. Tried again to run the DVD ISO in SMPlayer with no success.

BTW the DVD ISO is one I made from an .avi with DeVeDe.

Oops, I thought you had made an iso from a commercial dvd.... unlikely to need libdvdcss for a simple avi of course :).

TunaCanTommy
June 20th, 2011, 03:10 AM
But of course . . . . .:P

rvm4000
November 8th, 2011, 03:58 AM
smplayer tries to play title #1 by default, but that title may not be the movie itself. You can select another title in the menu Browse -> Title.

Although I'd suggest to turn on the option "Enable DVD menus (experimental)" under Preferences -> Drives.