PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ASUS X53S - things that won't work

elodsson
June 15th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Hi there!

I just bought a new ASUS X53SV laptop with Windows 7 on it. But ever since i have my own computer, i have a dual boot system with Ubuntu, so why change it this time. I decided to go for the 64 bit. After installing my favorite stuff i tried to simply enjoy it. These are the things, that are still giving me a headache:

1. The Nvidia Geforce GT 540M video driver is not working. I have crummy image, things like Compiz, TORCS etc. won't run, AWN looks like stone age.
I have downloaded the proper Nvidia driver (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-275.09.07-driver.html) from Nvidia homepage, and tried to run it as root, but i got the following message: ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing. For further details please see the section INSTALLING THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
I tried to google it, but no luck.

2. Some functions of the Fn key are not working. Till now it only reacted to the brightness buttons, the SRT/VGA switcher, and the Insert button. But i cannot set the sound for example, or switch the touch pad on or off.

Well, that's it for now. If anyone could help me with these, i would be really grateful.

cucisan
June 25th, 2011, 09:51 AM
hello there,

i got myself a A53SV yesterday... which is the same as the K53SV (i5, gt540m, ...)

for nvidia to work you'll need bumblebee which is something similar to "nvidia optimus"...

it worked for me to use intel/nvidia simultaniously but when i install it, my fan starts to go mad and run fullspeed all the time.. no fix yet.. though yours might work :)

cucisan
June 26th, 2011, 06:04 PM
i tried to do a howto on how to get these things working you described

take a look here :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1791081

Sylslay
June 26th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Is more likely that he will get same issu wtih fun.

Same laptop+ same mobo =same sensors.

Why nvidia does't suppot opitmus for linux?

Not fair.:confused:

cucisan
June 30th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Is more likely that he will get same issu wtih fun.

Same laptop+ same mobo =same sensors.

Why nvidia does't suppot opitmus for linux?

Not fair.:confused:

well there seem to be some differences.. i didnt find many k53sv users who have fan problems.. but i already found a cure for it, as well as touchpad multitouch, and also for the fn keys... all posted in my thread. hope it helps

Mindrage
September 7th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I can also say that bluetooth doesnt work, as i have it functional in my Windows 7, but not in my Kubuntu 11.04

Ender516
November 15th, 2011, 08:14 PM
HI, I also own a Asus X53S, with nvidia gt540M.

With Ironhide I can manage the application that requires the card but I'd like to get an higher resolution of my screen. Actually I've 1366x768, but if I run nvidia-settings under Ironhide I read 1920x1080!

Somebody knows how to set it?

johnc@crosslink.net
November 17th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I just got a deal on an i7 x53s from Microcenter. Install of 11.10 is so far pretty stable: both hib & suspend work without issue, for instance. May need to custom kern for control of the processors (battery at 2hrs), and some key copying for he f keys, but this seems stable.

thumaszz
November 18th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I got the exact same problem as you, I have a Asus K53SV with an nVidia GT540M.
And when I try installing the nVidia Driver I get the server error, and when I use another driver unity just doesn't start and all the other openGL software. But Ubuntu thinks I have a GT555M, you can check it with "lspci -v | grep -i vga" in Terminal, I get this:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF106 [GeForce GT 555M] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
It thinks I have an nVidia GeForce GT 555M, but I have a nVidia GeForce GT 540M.

lorebett
December 4th, 2011, 12:45 PM
any update about ubuntu on this ASUS X53S series?

tillie
December 6th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I got this laptop as well.

Please, people at least answer with something (like "ergerwstryjtye") to let us know that at least you saw our problem! Not saying anything is rude.

Lekensteyn
December 21st, 2011, 10:46 PM
HI, I also own a Asus X53S, with nvidia gt540M.

With Ironhide I can manage the application that requires the card but I'd like to get an higher resolution of my screen. Actually I've 1366x768, but if I run nvidia-settings under Ironhide I read 1920x1080!

Somebody knows how to set it?
The resolution visible under ironhide is not usable. It's written in a configuration file just in case someone happens to use a monitor that supports this resolution.