PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trouble with unity

cmwhidmore
June 15th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I am running ubuntu 11.04 (narwhal), and on my first login, the system complains that I do not have the hardware to support Unity.

Previously, i had ubuntu studio (also narwhal) installed, and Unity ran without issue. It even worked I ran it on a live USB. Is there something I'm missing?

collisionystm
June 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM
studio may ship with a different kernel than 11.04

cmwhidmore
June 15th, 2011, 08:11 PM
let me rephrase- is there somethig I can do? I've run unity before with narwhal- and nothing has changed since..

Muskegman
June 15th, 2011, 08:13 PM
It just means that you dont have the hardware drivers activated yet, go to "system settings" "additional drivers" let it do a search for additional drivers and then choose the recommended driver. Click on "activate" then close the window. Reboot your pc and all should be good.

cmwhidmore
June 15th, 2011, 08:45 PM
"no proprietary drivers are in use on your system". Damn, i thought that would've done it.

Wild Man
June 15th, 2011, 10:16 PM
"no proprietary drivers are in use on your system". Damn, i thought that would've done it.
Hi, run this is a terminal

/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p and post it back here by clicking on new reply and click # and paste the information between the brackets.

cmwhidmore
June 15th, 2011, 10:45 PM
bash: /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test: No such file or directory

Okay... now I finally got it to work.. needed a full shutdown... but now i can't see any of the icons on the left... and all my windows go nuts when i mouse over them...

they flip/rotate/pixelate/white out...

help?

Wild Man
June 16th, 2011, 12:04 AM
bash: /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test: No such file or directory

Okay... now I finally got it to work.. needed a full shutdown... but now i can't see any of the icons on the left... and all my windows go nuts when i mouse over them...

help?
Hi, run the command just as I wrote it no bash in from of it.

cmwhidmore
June 16th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Hi, run the command just as I wrote it no bash in from of it.

I did. That last post was me showing you an error reported by bash..

And to repeat my point (because i'm not sure you got it the first time around):

I finally got it to work.. needed a full shutdown... but now i can't see any of the icons on the left... and all my windows go nuts when i mouse over them...

help?

Wild Man
June 16th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I did. That last post was me showing you an error reported by bash..

And to repeat my point (because i'm not sure you got it the first time around):Hi, does it have a windows 95 look? Can you post a screen shot it would be helpful.

cmwhidmore
June 18th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Sure- here's what the problem looks like

Wild Man
June 19th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Sure- here's what the problem looks likeHi, run this command in a terminal

sudo lshwand post the outcome here by clicking on new reply and click # and paste the information between the brackets.