PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] a couple of noob ssh questions

CaptainMark
June 15th, 2011, 07:06 PM
ive just started dabbling in ssh as ive just got a netbook and need to transfer files between that and my desktop and i have a couple of questions

does the ssh server start on login, to make it safe i only want it to start when i tell it to,

is it connected to the internet or only over local network, im using the default settings although i changed the option so it doenst accept passwords and uses a key instead, i dont want to leave myself open to attack because i havent researched enough into it yet

any good guides would be cool too
thanks
mark

seawolf167
June 15th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Here is a guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH).

It will start on startup and you can access it through WAN if you have the proper port forwarded from your gateway to your computer (22; which you can change if you want too).

CaptainMark
June 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM
if i dont want it to run on start up should i just remove ssh keyagent from startup apps?

seawolf167
June 15th, 2011, 08:02 PM
if i dont want it to run on start up should i just remove ssh keyagent from startup apps?

To stop it from starting on boot, do the following

gksu gedit /etc/init/ssh.conf

comment out the line that starts with "Start on" (i.e. with a '#' symbol), save and close the file.

now every time you want to start the ssh service you need to type

sudo service ssh start

CaptainMark
June 15th, 2011, 08:13 PM
great thanks, im almost set, one more question though, i thought i used the exact same process to set up my pc as a server and my netbook so i can ssh back and forth at will but when i go from my pc(local) to my netbook(remote) i dont need to type the passphrase i made for the public key, however when i go from my netbook(local) to pc(remote) then i have to type the passphrase each time, where is this setting and how do i alter it?

seawolf167
June 15th, 2011, 08:26 PM
This is a little old (http://lani78.wordpress.com/2008/08/08/generate-a-ssh-key-and-disable-password-authentication-on-ubuntu-server/), but should still work just fine - take a look at line 9.1

CaptainMark
June 15th, 2011, 08:30 PM
i have the options listed no, no, yes respectivly but they are the same on both machines