PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 10.04.02 Install not recognizing pre-existing partitions on primary drive

venom104
June 15th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I'm trying to install Ubuntu 10.04.02 on my hard drive and replace an older version of ubuntu on it that I am having problems with. Whenever I try and install the new version at the partition screen none of my other partitions are viewable! The weird thing here is that if I do an sudo fdisk -l I can actually SEE all the partitions (including my windows and ubuntu partitions).

What can I do? My old version of ubuntu is damaged and I can't repair it (I've tried).

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l594/venom104/?action=view&current=problem.png

venom104
June 15th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I'm trying to install Ubuntu 10.04.02 on my hard drive and replace an older version of ubuntu on it that I am having problems with. Whenever I try and install the new version at the partition screen none of my other partitions are viewable! The weird thing here is that if I do an sudo fdisk -l I can actually SEE all the partitions (including my windows and ubuntu partitions).

What can I do? My old version of ubuntu is damaged and I can't repair it (I've tried).

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l594/venom104/?action=view&current=problem.png

I looked on the Internet on what to do, and while most of the information is unhelpful...most of the posts there qoute output from parted, here is mine

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo parted /dev/sda print
Error: Can't have overlapping partitions.

ppv
June 15th, 2011, 05:51 PM
If you have backed up all the data from the existing hard disk or do not want any data from it and just want a fresh install, you can boot from a live CD and delete all the partitions and then install Ubuntu.

themusicalduck
June 15th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Open a terminal and run this command -

sudo apt-get remove dmraid

Then run the installer again and see if it can see the drives.

venom104
June 15th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Open a terminal and run this command -

sudo apt-get remove dmraidThen run the installer again and see if it can see the drives.

No difference at all

venom104
June 15th, 2011, 06:01 PM
If you have backed up all the data from the existing hard disk or do not want any data from it and just want a fresh install, you can boot from a live CD and delete all the partitions and then install Ubuntu.

I can't delete all the partitions; I can't lose all the data I have and I don't have the means to back up all my data.

ppv
June 15th, 2011, 06:08 PM
ok...so you already have a Ubuntu system running and you want to install a newer version since the older one is damaged. And how are you trying to install using a live CD?

venom104
June 15th, 2011, 06:20 PM
ok...so you already have a Ubuntu system running and you want to install a newer version since the older one is damaged. And how are you trying to install using a live CD?

I don't understand the question, yes I'm trying to install using a Live CD. I'm using the install program that comes on the cd, if that's what you mean.

venom104
June 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I solved this problem by downloading fixparts (http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/) running the tool and simply saving the results. It was done almost automatically.

Thank you to those who have helped