PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do i extract/move a file into a directory from a usb stick??

edisonmax
June 15th, 2011, 04:15 PM
My previous thread asked this but got no proper answer, so i will try and ask it again.

How do i extract/move a file into a directory from a usb stick??

And can anyone direct me to a website that shows you how to navigate around the BASH Linux command line interface, i dont know how to find the file which is on the USB stick??

sanderd17
June 15th, 2011, 04:16 PM
http://linuxcommand.org/

The best site (IMHO) for learning the basic shell commands.

After you read that, extracting can be done with the tar program. type

tar --help

to see the possible options of tar.

_0R10N
June 15th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Well, when plug and external device to your system Ubuntu mounts it under /media/ by default. So you could execute

ls /media

and see your device already mounted.

So, let's assume it's been mounted as /media/disk1, if you run

ls /media/disk1

it will list the files and folder you have in the USB stick.

Therefore, once you've located where Ubuntu mounted your device, operating with it is as simple as with any other folder (since Ubuntu will treat it as a regular folder).

Regards!

ajgreeny
June 15th, 2011, 05:26 PM
My previous thread asked this but got no proper answer, so i will try and ask it again.

How do i extract/move a file into a directory from a usb stick??

And can anyone direct me to a website that shows you how to navigate around the BASH Linux command line interface, i dont know how to find the file which is on the USB stick??
You can probably do it more simply with nautilus, the file manager of ubuntu, or is this a server with no GUI?

edisonmax
June 16th, 2011, 04:18 PM
You can probably do it more simply with nautilus, the file manager of ubuntu, or is this a server with no GUI?

Yes this is a server, sorry I should have said this in the original post, and yes there is no GUI

sanderd17
June 16th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Did you read the tutorial I gave? And did it work?

If you have any questions, just ask them.