PDA

View Full Version : why ubuntu is better than windows 7

culham
June 15th, 2011, 03:35 PM
hi guys I recently went from windows 7 to ubuntu 11.04 on my netbook as I was told it would make my netbook faster and it did, I absoluetly love the os and will be installing it on all my computers. I have a friend who has an older computer and is having trouble running windows 7 but he needs a bit more convincing to put ubuntu on it so if any of you guys could compile a list as to why ubuntu is better than windows 7 and why he should install it on his machine that would be a great help or maybe you think he should not install it either way it should all help him make up his mind

LadySapphira
June 15th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Well depends on what your friend does. If you friend plays games etc that requires windows platform to run you'll have trouble.

~ But for an older computer: ubuntu will run faster.
~ ubuntu is free
~ you can always change your mind and pay for windows, but ubuntu is free so does it really hurt to try?
~ automatically works with printers and most hardware; windows does not.
~ has free software including office program, playing music, internet browsers

Honestly I think the biggest thing for this person will be to point out that it's free to try and if he doesn't like it he can change his mind. Has this person considered dual partitioning so they can choose between the two? That's what I do. I use windows for certain games and programs, and ubuntu for most other things.

8_Bit
June 15th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Ubuntu is known for being a bit bloated than most other Linux distros.

IIf the computer is really old and speed is truly your #1 priority, make sure you give Lubuntu a try first. It is basically Ubuntu with a lighter, faster interface, but with all the benefits that come with Ubuntu (great hardware recognition, extensive software library, etc).

collisionystm
June 15th, 2011, 03:57 PM
hi guys I recently went from windows 7 to ubuntu 11.04 on my netbook as I was told it would make my netbook faster and it did, I absoluetly love the os and will be installing it on all my computers. I have a friend who has an older computer and is having trouble running windows 7 but he needs a bit more convincing to put ubuntu on it so if any of you guys could compile a list as to why ubuntu is better than windows 7 and why he should install it on his machine that would be a great help or maybe you think he should not install it either way it should all help him make up his mind

Because he can be awesome. He can learn about the future of computers. Ubuntu looks awesome, works awesome, and IS AWESOME.

Enough awesome said.

Frogs Hair
June 15th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Very few viruses and little malware for Linux in general .

mikewhatever
June 15th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Here is pretty much all you friend needs to know.
http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

culham
June 15th, 2011, 04:20 PM
cheers for all the replies guys and collisionystm you had me at awsome :D

sanderd17
June 15th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I especially like the freedom aspect.

Don't like Unity. So what? You can switch to Gnome classic, Gnome-shell, KDE, LXDE, XFCE or some others.

parkerskouson
June 15th, 2011, 04:44 PM
As for the old computer aspect... I had an old P4 computer that ran really crappy with Windows 7. I saw ubuntu on youtube and i immedatly tried it. It ran twice as fast a Dual Core running Windows 7. I highly recommend ubuntu to your friend!

Parker

silex89
June 15th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Here is pretty much all you friend needs to know.
http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

^This!! :D

PSP_DEMOLISHER
June 15th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Try Xubuntu, it runs off the XFCE desktop and it uses alot less ram to operate than windows 7, if its an older machine it probably does not have the ram needed to operate 7 efficiently. Not to mention you still have full access to the repositories and and a pretty sleek looking desktop.

FormatSeize
June 15th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Ubuntu is better than Windows because Alien (http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/alien/) exists. I can't think of any other reason than that. It allows you to say "This OS, right here on my machine, is the only one like it in the world."

beew
June 15th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Try Xubuntu, it runs off the XFCE desktop and it uses alot less ram to operate than windows 7, if its an older machine it probably does not have the ram needed to operate 7 efficiently. Not to mention you still have full access to the repositories and and a pretty sleek looking desktop.

+1 to that. Xubuntu seems faster and uses less cpu. While I would prefer Ubuntu on newer and more powerful machines but on older and weaker machine Xubntu seems to perform better.

ssdt
June 15th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Windows 7 takes way more resource than Ubuntu.

-kg-
June 15th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Then you can lay another set of facts on him; "Christmas Past, Christmas Present, and Christmas Future (http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/html5-centric-windows-8-leaves-microsoft-developers-horrified.ars/)" <-click and read (and weep)> for Windows.

Doesn't seem like a very bright future for serious gamers or the game developers. Perhaps they'll find another platform? :-\"

beew
June 15th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Well certainly better since the OS is free and as are all the softwares. Since you are not going to do Photoshop or play games on a netbook the usual complaints that such programs don't run in Linux don't apply. It is also fast and lean as many have pointed out. Finally Ubuntu is also more feature rich. On a netbook you wouldn't be able to run win7 with all the bells and whistles, just home basic I would think but you can run full feature Ubuntu with no issue (and you can always use something lighter but with as many features like Xubuntu)

culham
June 15th, 2011, 10:01 PM
thats true beew you can only run home premium on a netbook and even then its slow and my notbook is not too bad spec wise its the 1.6ghz atom, 1gb ram and 250gb hd. ubuntu runs extremely well on it. I cant believe I paid 119 euro for windows 7 for my netbook my pc and my laptop.I cant believe ubuntu is free I would happily pay for a copy I think its windows that should be free especially vista :D

dFlyer
June 15th, 2011, 10:07 PM
An OS is a personal choice. Have your friend download the live cd and give it a try. Remind him that Ubuntu whatever flavor is not windows and don't expect it to work like windows. After he uses the live cd for a while, he should be able to make up his own mind. I've been using linux for 15+ years and I'm very happy. I feel linux in general is very stable regardless of what distro your using. I've been using Ubuntu as my only desktop since 2006. Remember to go slow and have fun regardless what your friend decides.

beew
June 15th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I would happily pay for a copy I think its windows that should be free especially vista :D

MS would have to pay me to use Vista. :)

drs305
June 15th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Moved to Recurring Discussions.

Timpster
October 24th, 2012, 03:48 AM
to the guy who said he would happily pay for Ubuntu --- have you donated?

Jakin
October 24th, 2012, 11:26 AM
to the guy who said he would happily pay for Ubuntu --- have you donated?

I know i have :) Though not recently...

One thing that i like about Ubuntu over Win7, is the window placement options.... it bugs me to death not being able to have windows auto centered on win7 :(