PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] replace OSX with Ubuntu

zoi0sooB
June 15th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Im raging at my Mac OSX and i just formatted it.... I just had an idea a few minutes ago... Can i install Ubuntu 11.04 by itself on the computer WITHOUT OSX?

Should i treat the macbook Pro like a regular windows laptop when it comes to reformatting and stuff?

s0nspark
June 15th, 2011, 01:26 PM
yes, you can do that... I just replaced OS X with natty on my Macbook Pro and it went without a hitch.

handy
June 15th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Many of us (Mac OSX users) think that it is a really good idea to keep a small <50GB OSX partition. The reason being it gives us an easy way to access firmware upgrades directly from Apple.

You can do it via external drives & all that, but with the price & sizes of HDD's these days, why bother, unless you have a really good reason?

zoi0sooB
June 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM
how do i boot ubuntu instantly without needing to hold Alt?

handy
June 15th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Are you dual booting?

If so are you using rEFIt?

If you are using rEFIt you can set the delay to whatever you desire. I use 3 seconds, which gives me enough time to choose OSX if I need to for whatever reason.

If not, I know not.

zoi0sooB
June 15th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks guys, Thats all well and dandy at the moment, But no matter what i try, the wireless wont work....

Ive done wireless with linux on my other PC but for some reason it wont work...

(my friends laptop is the same and it worked off the bat, why dosent mine?)

handy
June 15th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks guys, That's all well and dandy at the moment, but no matter what I try, the wireless wont work....

I've done wireless with Linux on my other PC but for some reason it won't work...

(my friends laptop is the same and it worked off the bat, why doesn't mine?)

You probably should start another thread on that new topic, giving LOTS of details on the subject.