PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] user status

g_ramesh
June 15th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Hi,

while installing Ubuntu 10.10 I created a user and the installation was smooth.
Please tell me what is the type of user that was created during installation, whether it is with administrator rights ? How to check ?

nomko
June 15th, 2011, 12:01 PM
The first user is also the root.
Any other user created after the installation is a normal user without root priviliges.

dcsoldschool53
June 15th, 2011, 12:54 PM
The first user is a normal user who can have temporally root privileges by using the commands sudo and gksu/gksudo ( the administrator). Any other user created after that, is a normal user without any temporally root privileges unless you had created that account as a part of the first normal user's group. In short, you had added the account to the administrator group. Then, He can have temporally root privileges too. I think, I said that right.

seawolf167
June 15th, 2011, 03:04 PM
For more information on how to become the root user to do things like install packages or edit configuration files, you can read about it here - RootSudo (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo).

egalvan
June 15th, 2011, 04:16 PM
The first user is also the root.

As dcsoldschool53 stated, the first user IS NOT ROOT

the root account (the root user) is locked (NOT disabled).

Almost ERVERYthing a normal user does on Ubuntu can be done with sudo,
as the link seawolf167 provided pointed out.

It IS possible to un-lock the root account, but this is HIGHLY DISCOURAGED, as it is quite a security risk.
And if you have to ask HOW to un-lock the root account, the risk rises exponentially.

nomko
June 16th, 2011, 08:31 AM
As dcsoldschool53 stated, the first user IS NOT ROOT

the root account (the root user) is locked (NOT disabled).

Almost ERVERYthing a normal user does on Ubuntu can be done with sudo,
as the link seawolf167 provided pointed out.

It IS possible to un-lock the root account, but this is HIGHLY DISCOURAGED, as it is quite a security risk.
And if you have to ask HOW to un-lock the root account, the risk rises exponentially.

My mistake!

g_ramesh
June 16th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks to all of you for replies. How to check whether a user is normal or super user etc?

dcsoldschool53
June 16th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks to all of you for replies. How to check whether a user is normal or super user etc?
Mark this thread as solved if we answered your question.

seawolf167
June 16th, 2011, 01:10 PM

No user would be a "super user", the command sudo stands for substitute user-do, so when you use it, you are substituting yourself for root for that command. All users by default will be "normal" users, you can add them to the Sudoers file, take a look at the information here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sudoers).

grahammechanical
June 16th, 2011, 01:36 PM
You need to find the Users and Groups utility. In 10.10 I think that you find it under System>Administration or System>Preferences. You may find, as I did, that this user is listed as Custom. There are three options, Custom, Administrator and Desktop User. The Custom setting gives some administrator rights but not all of them. I can do all that I want to do with the custom setting. Click on Advance Settings>User Privileges to see what each option allows you to do.

Regards.

Regards.

g_ramesh
June 17th, 2011, 08:05 AM
You need to find the Users and Groups utility. In 10.10 I think that you find it under System>Administration or System>Preferences. You may find, as I did, that this user is listed as Custom. There are three options, Custom, Administrator and Desktop User. The Custom setting gives some administrator rights but not all of them. I can do all that I want to do with the custom setting. Click on Advance Settings>User Privileges to see what each option allows you to do.

Regards.

Regards.

Thanks grahammechanical for an informative answer, will check up in my system.