PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to remove old installation of ubuntu

drathi
June 14th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Hi,

I installed Ubuntu two times.Previous installation for Ubuntu was corrupted but still exists in my computer.When I start my computer it also shows in menu items.

How I can remove all old ubuntu files and free hard disk space. I also want to remove it from menu items when system start.Please suggest me.

Thanks
Deepak

jerrrys
June 14th, 2011, 05:42 PM
you can use "gparted" that comes on your live ubuntu cd or just install gparted to the working ubuntu partition

doas777
June 14th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Hi,

I installed Ubuntu two times.Previous installation for Ubuntu was corrupted but still exists in my computer.When I start my computer it also shows in menu items.

How I can remove all old ubuntu files and free hard disk space. I also want to remove it from menu items when system start.Please suggest me.

Thanks
Deepak

what you describe could be two ubuntu installs or it might be one ubuntu with several kernel options. can you please let us know what your grub menu screen says more precisely? if you format over the OS but your gripe was having multiple kernels, then your problem is worse, not better.

Wild Man
June 14th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Hi,

Thanks
DeepakHi, you should post a screen shot of gparted with all the partitions on your drive so we can make sure you have to install and not just extra kernels as stated in the other post.