PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] network password issues

mattygee
June 14th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Hi

I was an ubuntu virgin until the other day, so this is all new to m.e

I have installed 11.04, and every time I turn the computer on I have to input my wireless key password, or general access password, to access the internet via my wireless broadband. This is a pain, which I have never had with other operating systems, so I am sure there must be a way for the computer to remember my password..how do I do it?

On a slightly different note, I have tried to install some software (memory-map V5) with Wine, but have no idea how to make it work, I can see no way to install it still. I click on the dvd icon and it just reveals all the folders that can't be read. I just want to install it to the desktop, is this not possible?

As you might tell, I am not at all computer literate....and am regretting my move to ubuntu right now.... so please be gentle with me.

thanks
:confused:

john77eipe
June 14th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Hello,

Welcome to Ubuntu forms.

It's been a long time I used wine. But I remember, just locating the exe file and double-clicking it to run file.

Matt__
June 14th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Im pretty sure you have to either put in a user account password OR default keyring everytime you log in. Make sure auto connect is checked in wireless setup too.(click the shutdown icon top right / system settings / network connections)

RE. mindmap software...are you trying to run it directly from dvd? If so it may have permission issues. copy all the files to a folder on the desktop and right click the .exe and make it an executable (checkbox) then open with wine.

You could always try freemind which is a java mindmap app from the software center.

PS. dont regret the move, anything new is strange at first. I'm still using ubuntu 10.04 until I get used to 11.04 on my test machine.

Scunnered
June 14th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Provided you are happy using what would be an insecure system it is possible to automatically login and have the wifi connect as well.

By selecting System > Administration > Login Screen you are able to set up the initial login. By right clicking on the wireless network connection and selecting edit connections you can similarly apply the automatically login setup. Open the wireless connection and highlight your connection. Select edit and ensure that there is a tick at connect automatically & available to all users.

I hope this assists. I when I take the laptop out of the house reverse the process just in case it gets into the wrong hands.

Hope this assists

PS I am using Lucid (10.04) but I expect the processes will be the same for 11.04.

mattygee
June 18th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks for your help everyone. I did manage to solve password thing...but wine still eludes me...no idea how to make that one work....all I get is unreadable files when I copy it across to the desktop..and wine never opens...is it not an emulator for windows?

One further point...in fact maybe I should start a new thread for this one...but i have no DVD player that works. I have downloaded every one from the software centre, but they all come up with errors, or just don't read the DVD . the error message says I need additional plug ins...but then when it looks for them it cant find any that match. Help on this would be much appreciated as I watch a lot of dvds.

Anyone got a windows software CD for me to re-install from....... only half joking!!!!

thanks

Matt