PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] using ubuntu on a netbook

scorpian81
June 14th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Hi, I have been using ubuntu for a while and i love it. i have just bought a netbook and wondered which version i should use. I tried 11.04 on my desktop pc (in unity 2d) and didnt like it too much. I have a 10.10 boot cd, can i extract this in some way to put on usb stick?
many thanks, ian.

CaptainJamie
June 14th, 2011, 11:08 AM
You could redownload 10.10 but the netbook edition, which is optimised for netbooks (http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/ubuntu-10.04-netbook-i386.iso.torrent) but as you didn't like unity then maybe this isn't the best way to go. Alternatively, download the 10.10 gnome version (http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/ubuntu-10.04.2-desktop-i386.iso.torrent) or if you want something a little different kubuntu netbook is very nice, https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Netbook

I'm not sure about ripping the iso off the cd. It sounds too much like hard work to me and it might get corrupted. The downloads don't take too long on average broadband with ports open.

jake.anq
June 14th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hi

If it is the Unity desktop that you don't like, you can go back to Gnome by selecting 'Classic Ubuntu' from a list on a bar along the bottom of your screen. This will appear after you click your user name and before you login.
Alternatively, Xubuntu does not have Unity or Gnome and uses XFCE.

If you still have the .iso around, you can write this to a usb with the 'Startup Disk Creator' in System->Administration menu.
I would suggest keeping up to date with the releases.

scorpian81
June 14th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. I wanted to keep up with latest ones but didnt like the desktop layout in 11.04 so I will try classic ubuntu. and have a go with startup disc creator. should that fail i will just download from ubuntu site. as for xfce , im still struggling trying to work out all the variations of linux and just want the simplest and easiest to use possible.
Thanks.

ajgreeny
June 14th, 2011, 11:45 AM
You may also find that Lubuntu is even better for a netbook than Xubuntu.

I use it on mine now, and although it needs a bit of text file configuration because there are not the GUIs for some of that, it is blindingly fast, and does not get in the way of using the apps.

You can also, of course, add whatever apps you want from the ubuntu repos, so are not limited to what Lubuntu gives you by default. Give it a try on live USB; you may fall in love with it as I did.

mastablasta
June 14th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. I wanted to keep up with latest ones but didnt like the desktop layout in 11.04 so I will try classic ubuntu. and have a go with startup disc creator. should that fail i will just download from ubuntu site. as for xfce , im still struggling trying to work out all the variations of linux and just want the simplest and easiest to use possible.
Thanks.

That doesn't make much sense. First 10.04 is regularly updated as it is an LTS. it is also more stable as bugs got ironed out by now. 11.04 and others are sort of testing releases, but 10.04 LTS is ment for production use (such as business etc. and also for home use). for example 11.04 introduced unity which is still at it's infant stage. i mean they were developing it for only a couple of months. and it has many issue by default (hence the option of classic gnome desktop).

Linux is only a core. What you see are different distributions that approach this communication with core differently. on top of these distributions you have desktop environments (DE) which define how you graphically interact with the core and the system.

Gnome DE is the default one in Ubuntu. You already met it. it has a new interface called Unity.

XFCE is default DE in Xubuntu - it's preety much like gnome only lighter in terms of how many resources it uses. With debian as base XFCE can run very well on 256 MB ram as it consumes about 100 MB for the os.

KDE is the DE in Kubuntu - it's about resource consuming as Gnome with Unity. KDE looks a lot like Windows. the DE is more advanced/newer than current gnome 2.x. it uses Widgets to add items with right click to desktop. kubuntu also has a KDE Netbook option that is made to be more suitable for netbooks.

LXDE the DE in Lubuntu is the lightest and newest. it is not as mature as gnome or KDE, so it might still has some things to be ironed out and made a bit more user friendly. but on a plus side it can consume as little as 80 MB ram and works well on low systems.

There are many more windows managers and DE's out there (such as openbox, IceWM, e11). There are also other distributions that use these (major branches are Debian and Debian based distros of which Ubuntu is a part of and Red Hat branch of which Opensuse and state of the art Fedora are part of). Aside from Linux FreeBSD also use these DEs.