PDA

View Full Version : Another graphic interface besides Gnome?

A Ghost In The Machine
June 14th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Hy everyone. Having been playing around with linux for a few weeks, i now have a basic understanding of the concept. But i havd one question left before i begin my attempt at programming. Is there a way to change the graphic interface in linux? I mean gnome is ok, but i was just wondering if there are other gui besides gnome? Also is it easy to replace one gui with another?

Artificial Intelligence
June 14th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Moved to Programming Talk.

Gnome? You mean GTK?

jwbrase
June 14th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Moved to Programming Talk.

Gnome? You mean GTK?

No, I think he means Gnome. To me, his question seems to be, in a nutshell, "are there other Desktop Environments for Linux, and how would I go about changing my DE?".

3rdalbum
June 14th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I'm not sure what changing your desktop environment has to do with programming, but you can install multiple DEs from Synaptic Package Manager. You can then switch between them at the login screen.

Artificial Intelligence
June 14th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I'm not sure what changing your desktop environment has to do with programming, but you can install multiple DEs from Synaptic Package Manager. You can then switch between them at the login screen.

You're right. Though misunderstood his writing.

Thread moved back to Beginner's Forum.

mastablasta
June 14th, 2011, 10:07 AM
like for example KDE: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

That site also has instructions for installing other DE.

Just note that your porgrammes might get doubled and with more DE they might get trippled or quadruppled. for exmaple gnome has a battery power manager, XFCE has it's own manager so if you add xfce like this then you will see both managers in the panel. you will also see for example 2 file managers (nautilus form gnome and thunar from xfce) etc.

TenPlus1
June 14th, 2011, 10:37 AM
apart from gnome their are a few other front-ends or window managers you can use (XFCE, KDE and OpenBox) are the easiest to install by going into synaptic package manager and searching for '-desktop'

right-click and mark for installation either of these:

- lubuntu-desktop for Openbox
- kubuntu-desktop for KDE
- xubuntu-desktop for XFCE

each come with their own selection of software for that front-end...

flotoonie
June 14th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Can you install the different GUI without the associated programs?

nothingspecial
June 14th, 2011, 01:38 PM
You can install the other DEs without *most* of the other programs, for example, if you install xfce4 you will get thunar but you won't get the other xubuntu stuff like abiword and gmusicbrowser.

A Ghost In The Machine
June 14th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Geez, I love this forum so much, everyone is so eager to respond to everyone's questions.. Thanks, I'm going to check out a few of these! I want a sort of minimilistic DE