PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Questions of a Kubuntu first timer

ngubk
June 14th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Hi! This is the first time i use Kubuntu although i've sticked with ubuntu for years( i don't like the new Unity Interface). I have some questions i'd like you to give me some advices:
1/ Is there anything similar to compiz, ubuntu tweak here? i often use screen edge + right click to change workspace but i can't find it here.
2/ I want to change Opacity of some apps and the panel( permanently, not right click on the top left symbol and change opacity).
3/ I want to add 'Open as admin' and 'open in terminal' for right click like we can in Gnome
4/ Is there any tool like Synaptic Package Manager here. I can't live without it http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/Smileys/classic/sad.gif
5/ Please give me some web page with useful kde info for reference ( i can't find many links relating kde tweaking like gnome)
Thank you very much for any reply!

mastablasta
June 14th, 2011, 07:16 AM
system changes are done in system settings a control panel like interface. you can change everything you want. mostly even through a graphical interface.

you have kpackagekit. you could probably also install synaptic if you would feel the need for it.

Wild Man
June 14th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Hi! This is the first time i use Kubuntu although i've sticked with ubuntu for years( i don't like the new Unity Interface). I have some questions i'd like you to give me some advices:
1/ Is there anything similar to compiz, ubuntu tweak here? i often use screen edge + right click to change workspace but i can't find it here.
2/ I want to change Opacity of some apps and the panel( permanently, not right click on the top left symbol and change opacity).
3/ I want to add 'Open as admin' and 'open in terminal' for right click like we can in Gnome
4/ Is there any tool like Synaptic Package Manager here. I can't live without it http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/Smileys/classic/sad.gif
5/ Please give me some web page with useful kde info for reference ( i can't find many links relating kde tweaking like gnome)
Hi, first try f1 it should give a a guide of kubuntu. I have not used it in a while but it use to come with synaptic installed also. The one for kubuntu is in the system settings I believe but I always used synaptic, if it is not installed I am sure you can install it. Kubuntu comes with its own effects just do a search in help. I think you open system settings and you an change the appearance and most all the other settings from there.

ngubk
June 14th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Oh i find Desktop Effect under System Setting. It has many features . I'll tweak it a bit to compare with compiz. The Help Center is pretty sufficient for me.
Do you know how to disable opacity of the panel?

Wild Man
June 14th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Oh i find Desktop Effect under System Setting. It has many features . I'll tweak it a bit to compare with compiz. The Help Center is pretty sufficient for me.
Do you know how to disable opacity of the panel?Hi, it would be in settings under appearance I think, but like I said I have not had it installed for some time now.

slooksterpsv
June 14th, 2011, 08:52 AM
A couple of things about Kubuntu, if you make any changes to settings, widgets, etc. you have to logout then back in to make the changes permanent, why, I have no clue. rebooting, shutting down, etc. don't save the changes. That's one of the reasons I moved away from Kubuntu. I don't have time to log out and log in to save my changes each time.

el_koraco
June 14th, 2011, 09:07 AM

1. System Settings - Workspace Bahavior - Screen edges, and hit it on. The compositing WM in KDE (the equivalent to Compiz) is called Kwin, and it has much better perfomance. Also, go to the Desktop Effects setting, and change the animation speed to fast or very fast.
2. Dunno what you mean.
3. You can embed a terminal in the KDE file manager, Dolphin. It think you just need to hit F7, but look in the Edit tab.
4. Muon, it's a KDE clone of Synaptic.
sudo apt-get install muon

el_koraco
June 14th, 2011, 09:08 AM
A couple of things about Kubuntu, if you make any changes to settings, widgets, etc. you have to logout then back in to make the changes permanent, why, I have no clue. rebooting, shutting down, etc. don't save the changes. That's one of the reasons I moved away from Kubuntu. I don't have time to log out and log in to save my changes each time.

Don't talk BS, please.

slooksterpsv
June 14th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Don't talk BS, please.

I'm just stating what fixed issues I had with it and what was causing it, and explaining my reasoning for change. I don't know when they'll fix that issue but if he sets a setting or two, logs out, and logs back in does it stay? If so, there's the fix.

ngubk
June 14th, 2011, 09:59 AM
2. Dunno what you mean.

Thanks for your reply
I mean st like Opacity Brightness effect in Compiz Setting Manager. I can change Opacity of each apps

Muon is quite good. I will look further to see if i can replace Synaptic with it.

ngubk
June 14th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Nope. I don't have to log out for it to change. May be Kubuntu 11.04 has that bug fixed. ;)

mastablasta
June 14th, 2011, 10:01 AM
@slooksterpsv -- you must have been the only one with the issue. or perhaps this was on an older 4.x KDE i never tried?

el_koraco
June 14th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks for your reply
I mean st like Opacity Brightness effect in Compiz Setting Manager. I can change Opacity of each apps

Muon is quite good. I will look further to see if i can replace Synaptic with it.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that one, haven't used it, and am not on Kubuntu right now. If Muon doesn't suit you, you can install Synaptic, a lot of Kubuntu users (used to) do that.

ngubk
June 14th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Do you know how to get ibus working in Kubuntu 11.04. I use Vietnamese, In Ubuntu i just have to install a package named 'ibus-unikey'. But now under Input Method i can't select Vietnamese anymore.