PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new to ubuntu and my screen wont turn on

hellcatt
June 14th, 2011, 02:42 AM
ive tried using both wubi.exe and a burned cd and when i try to boot into ubuntu my laptop runs but my screen is not just blank but doesnt even seem to turn on.

parkerskouson
June 14th, 2011, 02:43 AM
What did you use to burn the instalation cd?

hellcatt
June 14th, 2011, 02:45 AM
windows image disk burner. but even with wubi i get the same action and i tried that before any cd

parkerskouson
June 14th, 2011, 02:47 AM
I would try and download Imgburn, as it specializes in .ISO burning. Then just using it to burn the .ISO.

hellcatt
June 14th, 2011, 02:50 AM
ok i have that anyway ill try that

parkerskouson
June 14th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Let me know if that helps. Also, ubuntu uses a different format type. so that might be the problem.

hellcatt
June 14th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Let me know if that helps. Also, ubuntu uses a different format type. so that might be the problem.

can you elaborate? and is there a way to fix my problem in wubi?

nzjethro
June 14th, 2011, 02:57 AM
If you have a USB stick lying around, download unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) and you can make a Live "CD" on your USB. It'll load faster, and it may help with these issues if it didn't burn properly.

parkerskouson
June 14th, 2011, 03:08 AM
The drive format is just how to OS reads the HDD. Windows( which is what i am assuming that you are using) uses drive format Ntfs. Ubuntu uses drive format ext3. A format of the HDD is nesicary for a install.

hellcatt
June 14th, 2011, 03:25 AM
The drive format is just how to OS reads the HDD. Windows( which is what i am assuming that you are using) uses drive format Ntfs. Ubuntu uses drive format ext3. A format of the HDD is nesicary for a install.

so im wasting my time trying to run it off of a cd without a partition?

btw second cd using imgburn didnt change anything

nzjethro
June 14th, 2011, 03:31 AM
so im wasting my time trying to run it off of a cd without a partition?

btw second cd using imgburn didnt change anything

No, not wasting your time. When you get the live CD to boot, you can run GParted to alter (create, format, etc.) your partitions. Did you try unetbootin? Is it possible that your download was wrong? I don't know the size of the install .iso, but maybe check out the Ubuntu homepage and see if your file is the right size. Else it may have downloaded wrong.

hellcatt
June 14th, 2011, 03:36 AM
im downloading unetbootin right now so ill try that next, its going incredibly slow. which version should i get anyway?

nzjethro
June 14th, 2011, 03:40 AM
im downloading unetbootin right now so ill try that next, its going incredibly slow. which version should i get anyway?

Um, up to you. I'm using 10.10, as you can see, and have had absolutely no issues with it. But I've heard that 10.04LTS is rock solid, and there are a lot of very smart people on here running LTS, so heaps of support. Maybe give that a try? I'd stay away from 11.04. What were you looking at?

fabricator4
June 14th, 2011, 03:46 AM

Which version of Ubuntu? I'd really recommend 10.04 LTS for newcomers. LTS means "long term support" - it's supported until April 2013 is relatively problem free at installation.

You problem may be related to your graphics card. Ubuntu 11.04 has a whole lot of new code relating to graphics and the desktop and problems with this are causing people installation problems. As I said, I'd recommend 10.04 to the newcomer.

If you can't boot the machine off the LiveCD and try it out successfully, then it's most likely that an install won't work either.

Chris

hellcatt
June 14th, 2011, 03:48 AM
ok well that helps alot because i was trying 11.04. i dont see LTS in unetbootin tho. if it matters any im doing this purely for android purposes even tho ive been curious about linux for a long time

im downloading LTS from the ubuntu site now

parkerskouson
June 14th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Sad to say but basicly.

nzjethro
June 14th, 2011, 04:01 AM
ok well that helps alot because i was trying 11.04. i dont see LTS in unetbootin tho. if it matters any im doing this purely for android purposes even tho ive been curious about linux for a long time

im downloading LTS from the ubuntu site now

Smart choice. LTS will be a good move, and it's similar enough to 10.10 that there is a hell of a lot of support here for it. If LTS doesn't boot properly, post back. :)

hellcatt
June 14th, 2011, 05:20 AM
got it going guys, thanks for all the help

dFlyer
June 14th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Burn a live cd and see if you can get to the desktop, off the cd.

Wild Man
June 14th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Hi, are you still trying to do a wubi install? if you are you install it through windows and you do not format the partition as told to do in a previous post. This is for a wubi install if you are still trying to use wubi.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1639198
http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142%3Au-ocqbntw_o&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=Differences+between+Wubi+vs+dual-booting&as_qdr=all&sa=Google+Search&lang=en#911
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

fabricator4
June 14th, 2011, 01:39 PM

Excellent! Chalk another one up for LTS :-)

If you have any more questions, come back and see us ;-) and welcome to the forums.

Chris.

nzjethro
June 14th, 2011, 11:32 PM

Cool, good to hear. Want to mark this thread as solved so others with the same problem know this is a solution?