PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Internet Explorer

parkerskouson
June 14th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Hey guys. Another dumb question. I am trying to install Internet Explorer on Ubuntu 11.04. I have already tried PlayONLinux, but it gives an error saying Wine has encountered a fatial error... Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Parker

wep940
June 14th, 2011, 12:21 AM
I don't know if it's still around, as I haven't looked for it for a couple of years, but there at least used to be a product called ie4linux to install internet explorer in Linux. I tried it on an older, slower PC and didn't like it. I wanted IE for shockwave, but all of that is supported in Firefox in Ubuntu now.

Wild Man
June 14th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Hey guys. Another dumb question. I am trying to install Internet Explorer on Ubuntu 11.04. I have already tried PlayONLinux, but it gives an error saying Wine has encountered a fatial error... Any suggestions?

Thanks,
ParkerHi, I run windows in virtualbox on linux and you can use explorer that way.

parkerskouson
June 14th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Ok thanks. Will look at it. my dad just wants it because he is using ubuntu server for his work.

parkerskouson
June 14th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Ok. I tried the IE4Linux program. It would not let me install it because my Wine was outdated. I updated it and it still didnt work. Any suggestions?

Wild Man
June 14th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Ok. I tried the IE4Linux program. It would not let me install it because my Wine was outdated. I updated it and it still didnt work. Any suggestions?Hi the best way to use all the programs you want is in virtualbox.

parkerskouson
June 14th, 2011, 01:01 AM
How do you do virtualbox. Another noob question:)

Wild Man
June 14th, 2011, 01:17 AM
How do you do virtualbox. Another noob question:)
Hi, go to this site and you can read the manual for how to use it and set it up and what it is.
http://www.virtualbox.org/

parkerskouson
June 14th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Ok. Thanks

Wild Man
June 14th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Ok. ThanksHi, your welcome have fun with ubuntu.

beew
June 14th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Just curious, why do you even want to do that?

parkerskouson
June 14th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I want it because there are websites for my dads work that must have internet explorer and he is using ubuntu server.

beew
June 14th, 2011, 02:40 AM
I want it because there are websites for my dads work that must have internet explorer and he is using ubuntu server.

You can use firefox with the user agent switcher addon on those stupid IE only websites.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/

parkerskouson
June 14th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Thanks so much. thats exactly what he needed.