PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Transmission - Multiple Ubuntus

avnd
June 13th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Hello there! I have installed two Ubuntus 11.04 Desktops on two separate partitions. I then started a torrent download with Transmission in one of the 2 Ubuntus. I save the downloaded files in a separate data partition. My question is that if I were to run the same torrent file in Transmission in the 2nd Ubuntu and point the target folder to the same folder I was using before in the data partition (which now has bits and pieces of the file downloaded in the 1st Ubuntu), will Transmission skip the already downloaded parts or start fresh all over again? Thank you.

StrayEddy
June 13th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I m pretty sure it would skip the already downloaded parts to continue the download. Just make sure your transmission options are the same.

doas777
June 13th, 2011, 08:35 PM
if the two clients are sharing a working directory, then the second client should detect the temp files and check them to determine what is there and what is not.
no guarantees though.

DanneStrat
June 13th, 2011, 08:42 PM
will Transmission skip the already downloaded parts or start fresh all over again? Thank you.

Hi! Interesting question.

No, it will not start over.

It should resume the incomplete files.

Joe of loath
June 13th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I have had downloads resume, even when switching clients.

DanneStrat
June 13th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I have had downloads resume, even when switching clients.

Yes, that is also possible.

BT-clients can append an extension to incomplete files to get exclusive

rights to those files. Some examples are ".uT", ".bc" and .part. So if

you had a windows box running a torrent in bitcomet for example, then the incomplete

files would have the extension ".bc". If you wanted to resume those files

with transmission under ubuntu, you would first have to remove ".bc" from

the filename and then transmission would be able to resume that torrent.

Just thought I would leave it here since it's good to know.

avnd
June 14th, 2011, 06:43 AM
(@DanneStrat, Joe of loath, doas777 & StrayEddy) Thank you for your replies and further confirmation, everyone.

DanneStrat
June 14th, 2011, 07:58 AM
(@DanneStrat, Joe of loath, doas777 & StrayEddy) Thank you for your replies and further confirmation, everyone.

You're welcome.