PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Audio (Audio Range Incorrect)

Faenar
June 12th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Hi all - I've recently moved off of Windows 7 x64 to Ubuntu 10.04 x64 and am having a bit of trouble with my audio. I have poured over hours of google searches to no avail. If I set my audio to 100% it is still quiet (about 60% of what it should be).

I have double checked in alsamixer and everything is set to 100% and not MM on any channel. When I open up the gnome-volume-control panel I can see that on the volume slider bar 100% is not at the extreme right end of the slider (see screenshot)

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z340/JuggernautMkIV/Volume_Slider.png

When I slide it past the 100% mark it sounds fine, but as soon as I adjust the volume again it goes back down to that 100% mark which is quite annoying.

I'm using an HP dv7-4165dx laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I can provide command outputs as needed.

ajgreeny
June 12th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Have you checked volume levels on the apps where you have this problem? They all have their own volume settings.

3xp10r3r|X13
June 12th, 2011, 10:14 PM
To configure everything really detailed, open up your terminal and type:

$ alsamixer
You should get a graphical interface within the terminal, which provides you with the ability to configure everything the way you want it to be.

Which means according to:

I have double checked in alsamixer and everything is set to 100% and not MM on any channel. When I open up the gnome-volume-control panel I can see that on the volume slider bar 100% is not at the extreme right end of the slider (see screenshot)

Have a look at (maybe) different sound cards set to different things.

I don't know your system, but I forget from time to time to apply the correct settings for different sound cards.

Faenar
June 12th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Have you checked volume levels on the apps where you have this problem? They all have their own volume settings.

I have this issue with all applications including the OS itself (boot in, log off, erros). The applications are all at max volume as well.

Have a look at (maybe) different sound cards set to different things.

I don't know your system, but I forget from time to time to apply the correct settings for different sound cards.

The 2 audio cards I have listed in alsamixer are my onboard sound (all at max) and my HDMI out (also maxed).