PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No System menu at top of screen

Rosscopico
June 12th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Hi everyone, Im very new to Linux and am working my way thru the Ubuntu pocket guide.
On page 18 of the guide, the author is explaining about the menu options, ie:- System --> Preferences --> Appearance.
However, the menu that appears at the top of my desktop only has File Edit View Places Help.
No System drop down menu, I have gone thru the menu options available to me, but no System.
I have seen screenshots where ppl do have System menu at the top.
Pls help me!!

Rosscopico
June 12th, 2011, 06:02 PM
I forgot to add, that Im using Ubuntu 10.10

Rocket2DMn
June 12th, 2011, 06:12 PM
It sounds like you're actually using 11.04. Go to Help->Ubuntu Help from your menu and see if it says that you're using 11.04.

Rosscopico
June 12th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Look like youre right, its saying 11.04
I managed to find a terminal command line that I copied & pasted earlier that said I had 10.10?
Very confused!

Does 11.04 not have the system menu?

GWBouge
June 12th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Yes and no ... everything is still there, they just moved it around a little with the Unity interface.

So, instead of System -> Preferences -> Appearance in your example, you could:

1) On the Unity Bar, click the + 'Applications', then expand the top-right 'All Applications' and click 'Themes and Tweaks', expand the middle 'Installed' section and you should see Appearance

2) Press the Super key (the 'Windows' key ... between Ctrl and Alt) and type 'System' (or even just 'sys') and you can select 'System Settings'.

3) Press the Super key and just type 'appea' and 'Appearance' should show up.

Frogs Hair
June 12th, 2011, 07:13 PM
11.04 has the menus you describe if you login to Classic Gnome . When the greeter box appears at log in , select your user name and and from the session list below on the panel select Classic Gnome . Continue to login.

Muskegman
June 12th, 2011, 07:36 PM
click on the top panel on the far right , click on the shutdown icon, there you will find system settings.

Rosscopico
June 12th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks everyone, Im starting to get it now!

Another question, I've installed the java rte, & am now trying to get the upgrade with the following command line:-
sudo apt-get update
but I keep getting the following message:-
E: Malformed line 62 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)
E: The list of sources could not be read.

What does that mean & how do I fix it?

apollothethird
June 12th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks everyone, Im starting to get it now!

Another question, I've installed the java rte, & am now trying to get the upgrade with the following command line:-
sudo apt-get update
but I keep getting the following message:-
E: Malformed line 62 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)
E: The list of sources could not be read.

What does that mean & how do I fix it?

Hi, Rosscopico. I believe your problem of this thread has been resolved. If you cared to take the time to mark this question as solved it's serve as a great resource to the community for anyone having a similar problem with the menus.

You have a new issue about how to fix your apt-get program. I believe it'd also be a great contribution to the community if you would start a topic with something to that effect. That way others having problems with fixing their apt-get will be able to benefit from the specific thread.

If you have 10 unrelated problems, it might be easier to have help by having 10 unrelated threads so that each one can be followed by people who have interest or expertise in that area.

Just something to consider.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames (http://www.apollo3.com/%7Eljames)

Rosscopico
June 12th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Understood:)