PDA

View Full Version : How do you think about this rant ?

leclerc65
June 12th, 2011, 02:01 PM
http://batsov.com/Linux/Windows/Rant/2011/06/11/linux-desktop-experience-killing-linux-on-the-desktop.html

imortalninja161
June 12th, 2011, 02:12 PM
hmm yer well i am a new Linux user really a humble cert3 networking student and my private network many consists of windows OS besides the rig i am using to type this message. i cant hate linux for what it does wrong becuase call me a nut if you will but linux represents freedom for me. and the light at the end of the tunnel that can crush that bill gates *** hole one day. and imma do what i can to help move linux forward where i can and yerrr i believe in you TUX lol.

Frogs Hair
June 12th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I can't take anything seriously the requires the author to use cruse words. If this person makes valid points I will never know because of the language used I simply won't read it.

cbowman57
June 12th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Whatever floats his boat. Why he would consistently buy hardware (had to be an upgrade or two in those 8 years) that isn't well supported by linux only he knows I guess.

Hope he'll be happy with Windows. :)

wizard10000
June 12th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I think the guy's kind of a bonehead. My own observations -

This guy claims to teach classes in system administraton but likes Fedora on servers. Anyone who puts a development OS on a production server needs to be fired.
Windows software is maintained by paid developers. Except for some members of the kernel team almost all Linux developers are volunteers.
My spousal unit has an i7 laptop with Optimus and she runs Windows. He's whining about lack of support when the technology is only a couple of months old?
Issues with Nvidia drivers are known issues. He selected a proprietary driver to use with an open source OS.
If he doesn't like the way wireless works in Linux perhaps he should reverse engineer a few drivers himself and help provide decent drivers.

Dry Lips
June 12th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I'm not saying that this guy is right, but this is what he says about himself:

P.S. Btw I’m as pro a Linux user as they get - a professional sys admin, a former kernel developer so don’t bother me with moronic comments from the type “you’re not doing something right/you should try another distro”.

Purplerob
June 12th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Wow... I'm lucky... I have had none of those problems. Even if I had those problems I would keep using Linux for its "openness." That is something windows or mac os x can't beat.

cgroza
June 12th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Uhmm, its his problem.

Simian Man
June 12th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I agree with him. For me the benefits of Linux mostly outweigh the downsides, but that doesn't mean the downsides aren't there.

This guy claims to teach classes in system administraton but likes Fedora on servers. Anyone who puts a development OS on a production server needs to be fired.

Fedora is a production operating system.

wizard10000
June 12th, 2011, 03:39 PM
...Fedora is a production operating system.

Fedora is among other things, a development platform for RHEL. I'd fire a sysadmin who used a non-LTS Ubuntu release on a production server as well ;)

Production servers are about availability. I quit using Fedora and switched to CentOS years ago on a home LAMP server when an update broke sendmail. You don't do bleeding edge on production severs - you do it on development servers. They teach this in Enterprise IT 101 ;)

ebasa
June 12th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I don't pay attention to any rants, life is too short.

3Miro
June 12th, 2011, 04:26 PM
...powered by Nvidia’s Optimus GPU switching technology - when the GPU load is low it uses the built-in Sandy Bridge GPU, when it gets higher - it switches to the discrete NVS 4200M GPU. Needless to say - this technology is not supported under Linux, but I was prepared to live without it. After all both Intel and Nvidia are known to have decent Linux drivers so I was about to try both GPU and select the one with the better performance.

I didn't read after this. Seriously, you get the most incompatible software AND you know it is incompatible and then you complain about it.

It is true that hardware support is an issue with Linux, but when that happens, you find compatible hardware and thus use your money to make hardware-developers give better drivers.

I think he got the main problem though. People get machines designed for windows, they make no prior research and then give up when things don't work.

Get System76 or ZaReason, then talk about compatibility.

Bart_D
June 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM
http://batsov.com/Linux/Windows/Rant/2011/06/11/linux-desktop-experience-killing-linux-on-the-desktop.html

I agree.

That is why Ubuntu is heading the right direction. And why, in my opinion, Arch Linux is heading in the wrong direction. Power Linux users scoff at beginners/average users who complain when they can't do simple things due to a lack of proper built-in support provided by the distro. We don't all have time nor do we care about visiting a wiki EVERYDAY inorder to determine when to update our systems and hope that driver/hardware/software issues are fixed while simultaneously not totally breaking our systems. There-in lies the problem.

Power users want full control to make and break their system.....beginners/average users just want something that works. These two approaches (Arch vs Ubuntu) just cannot live together. Sorry. but that's the truth and you know it.

For making ANY kind of market share inroads, things have to work out-of-the-box. Too bad the day when that happens is a long time away.

coffeecat
June 12th, 2011, 05:08 PM

Fedora is a production operating system.

Fedora is among other things, a development platform for RHEL. I'd fire a sysadmin who used a non-LTS Ubuntu release on a production server as well ;)

I remember seeing a similar sentiment expressed on Fedora forums a year or more ago. Someone posted a bitterly worded rant complaining either that an update borked their system or that it had passed end-of-life and was no longer supported - I can't remember which. The important point was that the OP identified him/herself as a sysadmin and this was a production server. The responses from experienced Fedora users were to the point and merciless, telling him/her that Fedora was not suitable for this purpose and that if they could not afford the RedHat contract for RHEL, then they should use Centos.

Interesting.

el_koraco
June 12th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Well, sometimes it's good to change things up. If the dude was getting frustrated with Linux, maybe Windows will do him some good. I don't quite understand people having to explain why they use one OS or another, and why I have to read it then.

Bandit
June 12th, 2011, 05:13 PM

Windows software is maintained by paid developers. Except for some members of the kernel team almost all Linux developers are volunteers.
My spousal unit has an i7 laptop with Optimus and she runs Windows. He's whining about lack of support when the technology is only a couple of months old?
Issues with Nvidia drivers are known issues. He selected a proprietary driver to use with an open source OS.
If he doesn't like the way wireless works in Linux perhaps he should reverse engineer a few drivers himself and help provide decent drivers.

I would really like to see that guys rant also with KDE 2.0, 3.0 and recently when 4.0 was released.. LOL I think he would have a lot more curse words in his rant then.. hehe
Any bonehead that thinks something is to run great in the Open Source world the first few months its released doesnt have a clue. If he was a power user like he claimed he would have just stayed with Gnome2 or went to one of the other two dozen WM/DEs we have available.

I'm not saying that this guy is right, but this is what he says about himself:
LOL he also said he had been using for 8 years.. Goodness if hes a Professional Systems Admin after 8 years of using Linux.. LOL This would make me a GOD!!
**Lick my toes fools**

Fedora is among other things, a development platform for RHEL. I'd fire a sysadmin who used a non-LTS Ubuntu release on a production server as well ;)......
I tend to agree with you. Forgot where a read a few years back that stated in fact Fedora was the development platform for Red Hat Enterprise. It was either Fedoras or Red Hats website.. Fedora isnt production quality until right before they work on the next release, then the existing Fedora is then taken and released under RHEL.

cbowman57
June 12th, 2011, 05:15 PM
i don't quite understand people having to explain why they use one os or another, and why i have to read it then.

+1

ErikNJ
June 12th, 2011, 05:26 PM

Have a look at what runs kernel.org. ;)

manzdagratiano
June 12th, 2011, 05:37 PM
To that guy's useless rants, I can only say this:

Haters Gonna Hate.

When you sign up for GNU/Linux, you know that you do exchange a certain amount of convenience for the power of freedom. Many comments to the rant state this themselves - drivers in GNU/Linux lag behind their Windows counterparts precisely because of Microsoft's monopoly; just go to ANY laptop vendor's website, and see written in the upper right corner "Windows Life Without Walls. XXX recommends Windows 7". This is the biggest joke on Earth - corrupt new slates by giving them the impression that this is the only OS in the world. I had not even heard of GNU/Linux until I went to college, that's how bad it is.

I would rather not be a serf of Microsoft than live with a few bugs which I can fix myself or other good-hearted souls will eventually. At least no one tells me what I should do with my system. The dude wants to go back to serfdom just because they `feed' him well, his choice.

GWBouge
June 12th, 2011, 08:58 PM
He might have some valid arguments in there, but he lost any credibility he might have had as whatever hardcore, power, or expert user he claims to be more than once ...

I do know how to research hardware compatibility ( :-) surprising, eh?), but I do like cutting edge technologies as well (problematic…)
Um, what did you expect to happen?

I’ve bought myself a new ThinkPad T520 laptop, powered by Nvidia’s Optimus GPU switching technology
I guess because of the quote above? Good luck ...

How many of you have enjoy Dolby Digital or DTS sound from their Linux boxes?
Aside from all the people using Linux variants on an HTPC setup? I do ... on a Creative X-Fi that you couldn't get to work, using ALSA which you think is garbage.

Have you tried playing a HD video clip in youtube with flash player at full-screen?
Yes. Works fine.

Linux users think that Mozilla Firefox is very slow and memory hungry - but it turns out that the Windows version is generally performing a lot better
No, I don't find it any more slow or memory hungry than any other 'big-name' browser, and runs a bit slower in Windows. At least, not on my machine. Trying using supported hardware. Maybe your issue for the afore-mentioned quote?

That's enough for now.

giddyup306
June 12th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I didn't read all of it, but here's some things that I noticed.

He doesn't like open office. There's Libre Office.

He says he has problems with flash and 64-bit. I have Mint 11 64-bit. Zero flash issues, as well as with 11.04. 10.10, and I think even 10.04.

I agree with him on the audio tho. Between VLC, Cinelerra, KDEnlive, and other programs, it's a nightmare trying to get everything to "just work".

Every time I get flustered with Linux, I spend about two minutes on WIndows, and realize why it is that I switched to Linux in the first place.

As far as printers go, I bought a Pro 901 that Supports Linux with support from Lexmark. If you buy a Ford you're not going to buy Chevy parts for it...

TheNosh
June 13th, 2011, 04:57 AM
He doesn't like open office. There's Libre Office.

So far, they're the same thing with different branding. He doesn't like OO.o because it doesn't work for him, not because it isn't "free" enough.

And that's a perfectly valid point. MS Office does offer functionality that simple isn't offered in it's free counterparts. IBM Lotus Symphony (which is based on OO.o, with heavy interface modifications) works fine for me, and does everything I need, but if you need the features of MS Office that it lacks, then there simply isn't a viable free substitute.

JustinR
June 13th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I think the rant has truth to it.

His first problem is also a problem I have. A kernel/nVidia update has made sure Plymouth hangs my system on bootup - no amount of tweaking will fix it.

Adobe flash + nVidia drivers no longer work usably - tearing is an extreme problem (Flash 10.3 + nVidia GeForce 8600M GT (current driver)). I'm not sure what causes it, but I used to be able to watch 1080P youtube clips in Flash player - now 240p is choppy and tears a lot.

Unity almost never loads on startup, It always loads the classic desktop - I have to log out + then back in for it to work.

Kernel doesn't work with my Intel Core 2 Duo processor's SpeedStep (CPU Frequency changing), with SpeedStep enabled the processor will not go past 800MHZ, no matter what.

Edit: These problems are all documented in bug reports + forum posts that don't have solutions - I have looked into it before any one starts asking.

The graphics driver appears to crash often - it looks like something similar to disconnecting only half of the graphics card plug - lines and waves of color flash and the computer has to be restarted manually.

Compiz barely runs on my computer anymore and smooth scrolling features no longer work in any browser - it's a pain to scroll through webpages now - I feel like my computer will hang any minute. VirtualBox has been causing more and more kernel panics on my system than usual.

I can see where he's coming from - Ubuntu (and Linux in general) is becoming a pain to use, even though it used to work great on my computer (Dell Inspiron 1720) - no issues, but each release after that has been consistantly worse. It's depressing - it sucks to say that the only OS that works without issue on my computer is Vista/7, but I'll keep using Ubuntu as long as possible :).