PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fullscreen browser-based video crashing PC (Google videos & BBC iPlayer)

DaveM__
June 12th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I am new to Ubuntu Linux - I really like the freedom this OS provides but I have a few teething problems and I was hoping that one of you kind souls would be willing to help me. Most of my problems relate to video playback. I had an issue with choppy fullscreen Flash playback but I was able to rectify this with a Firefox plugin called Flash-Aid.

I do, however, still have a problem with fullscreen video on certain platforms. If I make BBC iPlayer or Google Videos fullscreen, the screen goes black, hangs and the PC auto-reboots. I am running Ubuntu 11.04 (64bit). I would be most grateful of any help thanks.

Kind regards,

Dave

PS I have a hunch that Compiz might be creating some other problems with this version of Ubuntu but I can't be certain.

kc1di
June 12th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Hi,
It's a setting in flash that needs to be changed.

go to you tube click on any video clip. when it comes up right click within the clip a dialogue box will appear go to settings and uncheck the box labeled "enable hardware acceleration. Then try full screen video again.

DaveM__
June 12th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks for your input, it worked a treat.