PDA

View Full Version : ios 5/icloud great for linux

Purplerob
June 6th, 2011, 10:35 PM
After looking at icloud on apple.com I quickly realized how great it is for Linux. Previously to set up, upgrade, and manage an ios device you needed itunes on a mac or windows computer. I know that when I got my ipod touch, One of the most annoying things about it was that I needed to use windows. Now, there is no reason to use windows. This may seem small to some of you but for me this is amazing! This is one more thing that you don't need windows for!

For more detail about what I'm talking about look here:http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html#pcfree

Dustin2128
June 7th, 2011, 12:30 AM
And previously previously, you didn't need itunes to start your iPod/Phone for the first time at all. It's all in response to people wanting to actually be allowed to use their device (jailbreaking). It's also why I don't buy apple. Well, one of many reasons.

egoflux
October 14th, 2011, 02:17 PM
well you can use your iphone, ipod, or ipad without the need of a computer but it's not a solution to linux users...how are you going to sync your music, videos, documents and schedule?? still need itunes for that

tenthirtyone
October 14th, 2011, 03:55 PM
well you can use your iphone, ipod, or ipad without the need of a computer but it's not a solution to linux users...how are you going to sync your music, videos, documents and schedule?? still need itunes for that

If they come up with a solution to this... I'm done with Windows...

aeiah
October 14th, 2011, 04:02 PM

can you not pull files over ftp? that what my gf does with her android device

Retlol
October 14th, 2011, 05:40 PM

No you can't. Try buying an ipad 2 and turning it on.

Needs itunes to "sync".

I don't use itunes and don't know why a tablet would have to sync with a ****** music player before you can turn it on.

I didn't buy it ofc, but the gal who did had to go to the shop to get it working (and had to go back the day after to do the same).

chromatica86
October 14th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Any Idea when my ios5 ipod touch will be able to mount in ubuntu 11.10?

krapp
October 14th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Best solution is to get an Android device (I don't use smartphones by the way) or a non-Apple mp3 player.

earthpigg
October 14th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Mail (http://www.apple.com/ios/features.html#more): Your inbox is about to receive some great new features. Format text using bold, italic, or underlined fonts. Create indents in the text of your message. Drag to rearrange names in address fields. Flag important messages. Even add and delete mailbox folders on the fly. If you’re looking for a specific email, you can now search in the body of messages. And with iCloud, you get a free email account that stays up to date on all your devices.

Italic formatting? Folders? Free e-mail? Unbelievable. I'm going to buy one of these massively innovative devices immediately.

PC Free
Independence for all iOS devices.

With iOS 5, you no longer need a computer to own an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. Activate and set up your device wirelessly, right out of the box. Download free iOS software updates directly on your device. Do more with your apps — like editing your photos or adding new email folders — on your device, without the need for a Mac or PC. And back up and restore your device automatically using iCloud.

A computer that works without reliance on another computer? My God, this literally oozes genius. I cannot contain myself.

krapp
October 14th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Well when you put it that way...

You have to admit selling BSD as BSD just isn't as sexy.

Mikeb85
October 14th, 2011, 08:52 PM
A computer that works without reliance on another computer? My God, this literally oozes genius. I cannot contain myself.

Actually I think it is genius. They change the form factor of computers (touchscreens), but then send us back a decade or two in functionality. Then every new device they give us back some functionality, with technology they already have (and thus don't have to waste money developing), which forces us to buy every gadget if we want to do be able to actually do something, until we are separated from all our money...

ninjaaron
October 14th, 2011, 08:55 PM
You have to admit selling BSD as BSD just isn't as sexy.

I could see where someone could be deluded into admitting such a thing.

alanchambers
November 18th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Any Idea when my ios5 ipod touch will be able to mount in ubuntu 11.10?

Try it - I think you'll be as pleasantly surprised as I was when i connected my shiny new iPad (iOS 4 at the time - now 5.01) to my Ubuntu 11.10 laptop.

Without my having to do anything, it mounted and opened two drives - one called Alan's iPad and the other called "Documents on Alan's iPad". The latter has a folder for each app (some of them hidden so do a Ctrl-H in Nautilus), under which you can see all its data. Some apps are quite happy for you to put data in and out of their folders directly, which is very convenient.

Photos are OK too - you have to put them into the DCIM folder, as if the iPad had taken them itself. You can then move them on the iPad into whichever folder you want them in.

The one for which you really do seem to need iTunes is music.

Another good way to get a lot of content onto iOS devices is DropBox, though the way the iOS file system works, you can't use it to transfer files in the other direction and it's not so good for very large files, as the data has travel via the Internet.

Also, some apps - for example GoodReader, which I use for reading large PDF manuals - have built in support for FTP etc, providing another easy way to transfer content.

Admittedly a lot of this is fighting with iOS to do things that ought to be easy (and are easy on Android) but nevertheless, there's a lot you can do quite easily with Linux.

BrokenKingpin
November 18th, 2011, 08:35 PM
It's all in response to people wanting to actually be allowed to use their device (jailbreaking). It's also why I don't buy apple. Well, one of many reasons.
++

Jesus_Valdez
November 19th, 2011, 12:20 AM
iTunes Match.

szymon_g
November 19th, 2011, 02:12 AM

no, you don't.

hanzomon4
November 19th, 2011, 08:27 AM
No you can't. Try buying an ipad 2 and turning it on.

Needs itunes to "sync".

I don't use itunes and don't know why a tablet would have to sync with a ****** music player before you can turn it on.

I didn't buy it ofc, but the gal who did had to go to the shop to get it working (and had to go back the day after to do the same).

Not true exactly. The gal's ipad was one that was boxed with ios 4. The ipads that came with ios 5 pre-installed do not need be connected to a computer. Its actually pretty sweet to set one up especially in the case of iphones where the user was already running ios 5 on their old phone and backing up to icloud.

Haronniin
November 24th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I understand those who are vehemently opposed to Microsoft and Apple, but the diatribe doesn't contribute anything useful to the conversation. I appreciate comments from folk such as alanchambers which actually provide useful information for those wishing to connect a proprietary device with Ubuntu.

polardude1983
November 24th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I'm loving that I can backup and upgrade my iOS without a pc. Now just waiting for ubuntu to support the iOS 5

John F
June 6th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Try it - I think you'll be as pleasantly surprised as I was when i connected my shiny new iPad (iOS 4 at the time - now 5.01) to my Ubuntu 11.10 laptop.

Without my having to do anything, it mounted and opened two drives - one called Alan's iPad and the other called "Documents on Alan's iPad". The latter has a folder for each app (some of them hidden so do a Ctrl-H in Nautilus), under which you can see all its data. Some apps are quite happy for you to put data in and out of their folders directly, which is very convenient.

Photos are OK too - you have to put them into the DCIM folder, as if the iPad had taken them itself. You can then move them on the iPad into whichever folder you want them in.

The one for which you really do seem to need iTunes is music.

Another good way to get a lot of content onto iOS devices is DropBox, though the way the iOS file system works, you can't use it to transfer files in the other direction and it's not so good for very large files, as the data has travel via the Internet.

Also, some apps - for example GoodReader, which I use for reading large PDF manuals - have built in support for FTP etc, providing another easy way to transfer content.

Admittedly a lot of this is fighting with iOS to do things that ought to be easy (and are easy on Android) but nevertheless, there's a lot you can do quite easily with Linux.

My iPod Touch did that until the last upgrade. I could play music off it through my Linux laptop. Now it is completely shut out.

John F

MisterGaribaldi
June 6th, 2012, 05:45 AM
What never fails to amaze me is all the chatter here on UF about using "this or that Apple product" with one's Linux-running PC. I don't know, maybe it's a thing I have for irony, but doesn't it strike anyone else here as odd that we'd see so many Linux users just *clamoring* to use products from one of the three most hated technology companies on the face of the Earth?

mihaimm
June 15th, 2012, 11:44 AM
doesn't it strike anyone else here as odd that we'd see so many Linux users just *clamoring* to use products from one of the three most hated technology companies on the face of the Earth?
Nope. Those look good, feel good, are simple enough for our parents, resell for a very good price, are supported for a long time.
I actually moved from a 3G to a Samsung Android and back. The droid died after 1 year (and 2 weeks... so no more warranty). The 4 years old 3G is still doing fine. Very slow... but working.