PDA

View Full Version : My virus alert

RefinersFire
June 6th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I found this hilarious. Especially since I am running Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal).

http://hupqtq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pDPOPu4Fszl-ULeMXZEwF3wojVPNPw7kwuOXJoncNKdBcFuiFCcVMZGmMDwBKn rOA_0iuKhLRGnLTDzJ32CMmM5qLvSSu39r4/Screenshot-1.png?psid=1

http://hupqtq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pM_Cxn3nTH5t-dJprpmNPsAJZ_F63tfrIweAgCKmHL5A93dJzQgpk1oxS2p_JcP L56khuaxGHVr4pQKBJd4ctC2ZVeDDStLsY/Screenshot-2.png?psid=1

http://hupqtq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pTuo-79B279pFiSmUquj-2Kg73-STeEgJvz0AUMG0PBoDqmMFr2kEL-2rz-QgHdlgtinQ5xSlAI6LBa8PdLXT_4UGnX2ZGn8I/Screenshot-3.png?psid=1

http://hupqtq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pTjGFYPlX_J9ioBHpycGS-rul9_8lq0lMhDdqvL8BzO80tFwTbViK9vtEC3KGK5Jh93fsCP8 weYhZm9EvO9N2oJPxgmXmyaie/linux_not_windows.jpg?psid=1

:lol:

Ok, I am done for now. I just thought it was humorous.

jhonan
June 6th, 2011, 09:44 PM
But what would happen if you ran that .exe in Wine I wonder?

RefinersFire
June 6th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I don't know...yet. lol

I may start XP Pro or Windows 7 in a VM and see what it does. No big deal if it infects the install. I just have to delete the vdi and copy it over from my back up. :)

speedwell68
June 6th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I don't know...yet. lol

I may start XP Pro or Windows 7 in a VM and see what it does. No big deal if it infects the install. I just have to delete the vdi and copy it over from my back up. :)

I was tempted to setup a VM, but I really can't be bothered. It is interesting to infect a VM, just so you can try and fix it.

PCaddicted
June 8th, 2011, 07:55 PM
That is a rogue security program.

Quadunit404
June 8th, 2011, 08:10 PM

OMG, REALLY?! I never would have guessed!

RefinersFire
June 8th, 2011, 08:13 PM

Thanks for telling me. A computer technician needs to know this stuff.:lolflag:

dniMretsaM
June 8th, 2011, 08:24 PM
These are funny. Especially when you see them with the old XP theme. That's a lot of tabs by the way.

jespdj
June 8th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Well, funny indeed when you're running Ubuntu and you know what you're doing.

But if your mother calls you panicking because she thinks there is a virus on her computer and now she has installed this fake scare mongering security program that tries to steal her credit card information and she's calling you to clean the mess up, then it's not really funny anymore.

ki4jgt
June 8th, 2011, 11:28 PM
well, funny indeed when you're running ubuntu and you know what you're doing.

But if your mother calls you panicking because she thinks there is a virus on her computer and now she has installed this fake scare mongering security program that tries to steal her credit card information and she's calling you to clean the mess up, then it's not really funny anymore.

been there!!!

Thewhistlingwind
June 8th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Oh dear, you'd best call them up and ask where you can find the Linux version.;)

ki4jgt
June 8th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Oh dear, you'd best call them up and ask where you can find the Linux version.;)

ROTFLMBO I actually want to try that. Where is their number?

Thewhistlingwind
June 9th, 2011, 12:14 AM
ROTFLMBO I actually want to try that. Where is their number?

You can contact them at their business address:

Malware-Writers-Don't-Give-Out-Personal-Info_Dodge_Texas

Timmer1240
June 9th, 2011, 01:26 AM
My friends and family get infected with that junk ALL the TIME! what do they do CALL TIM HE CAN FIX IT!Seems funny to me of all my friends and relatives Im the only one who was ever interested in being able to figure out my own problems and now Ive become pretty good at it I even make a few bucks on the side for it!Thats why I love Linux my system stays clean and fast no crap to straighten out all the time!

GWBouge
June 9th, 2011, 01:41 AM

Yeah ... yeah, it's still funny.

swoll1980
June 9th, 2011, 01:49 AM
OMG, REALLY?! I never would have guessed!

Thanks for telling me. A computer technician needs to know this stuff.:lolflag:
You guys shouldn't be so hostile. Believe it or not there exist people that know nothing of this whole computer thing.

nerdy_kid
June 9th, 2011, 01:54 AM
ohh I've been hoping I would run into a link to one of these scams for a while! I just want to joy of seeing it do nothing :D Too bad the name servers are for that site are failing right now...

jramshu
June 9th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Yeah, I tried it earlier too.

RefinersFire
June 9th, 2011, 02:56 AM

That would be my mother-in-law, to which I would say, "See, that's one more reason you should let me install Linux". :)

...and it would still be funny.

mmsmc
June 9th, 2011, 05:41 AM
my grandfather fell for one of these, he is 70 and i had to walk him through it over the phone, longest day of my life

robsoles
June 9th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I got something akin to those the other day, a google search result.

I was pretty stunned when (something like) Windows Defender was interrupting my browsing session to alert me that a hostile file had been downloaded from some or other website I had been visiting.

I got the pid for /usr/lib/firefox-4.0.1/firefox-bin and kill -9'd it quick coz my javascript settings are a wee bit too informal to be sure I could very safely click anything in the browser anymore.

Quick check for trouble, nothing found, I tried to reopen it (after disabling javascript :roll:) and it had been reported in the three or so minutes I spent making sure their script wasn't clever enough to manage anything malicious here.

Finally I found it funny :lol:

Nothing in the wild is impervious, I hope I catch it before it owns me or something ;)

hakermania
June 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM
What makes me pissed off is the fact that these guys are REALLY so stupid...
I mean, why don't they put a simple script to check the freakin' OS before the virus alert and have another alert for other OSs?
I mean LOL, the have a job to do and they don't do it correctly :P

RefinersFire
June 9th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I mean, why don't they put a simple script to check the freakin' OS before the virus alert and have another alert for other OSs?

My thoughts exactly. Keep in mind though, most Linux users know their stuff.

undecim
June 9th, 2011, 04:06 PM

Not worth their time, really.

I'm sure some check for different windows versions, and just default to XP. Though really, they're trying to target people who wouldn't know the difference between 7 and XP, so it probably wouldn't make a difference.

corrytonapple
June 9th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I have got some of those too. I will post a link here is just a second....

Nyromith
June 10th, 2011, 12:09 PM
On the same subject, what do you think about this product?

http://antivirussafety.com/

I have a strong feeling it is a phishing attempt and a fake antivirus, but when I reported it to Google they did nothing. Someone ever heard of it?

SoFl W
June 10th, 2011, 12:29 PM
My friends and family get infected with that junk ALL the TIME! what do they do CALL TIM HE CAN FIX IT!

Buy several of these t-shirts (http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/frustrations/388b/).

RefinersFire
June 10th, 2011, 01:54 PM
On the same subject, what do you think about this product?

http://antivirussafety.com/

I have a strong feeling it is a phishing attempt and a fake antivirus, but when I reported it to Google they did nothing. Someone ever heard of it?

Take your pick. They've been around for years trying to infect malware on to unsuspecting people's PCs. Most sites install hackware on to people's PCs. They used to install trojans for spamming IRC channels or sending mass DDOS attacks back in the 90's.

This site MAY be legit, I am not sure. I don't have the time to check right now.

Disclaimer: This website has no affiliation whatsoever with the owner of this software program and does not re-sell or license software. All software is freeware and/or shareware with the understanding that the user may need or want to pay for it later. Membership is for unlimited access to our site's resources. We provide an organized website with links to third party freeware and shareware software, technical support, tutorials and step by step guides.
Straight from their web site

BrokenKingpin
June 10th, 2011, 06:54 PM
But what would happen if you ran that .exe in Wine I wonder?
This brings up another thought... with the mono framework installed, a .Net exe compiled under Windows will run just fine under Linux...

juancarlospaco
June 10th, 2011, 07:30 PM
you guys shouldn't be so hostile. Believe it or not there exist people that know nothing of this whole computer thing.

+1 ʘ‿ʘ

zealibib slaughter
June 10th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I've actually installed this fake av on my ubuntu box to see what would happen. It trashed wine but not much else. I had to purge and reinstall wine. very disappointing that such a good piece of malware wouldn't dammage my ubuntu system, you would think that it would be more of a challenge to fix.

corrytonapple
June 11th, 2011, 04:43 PM
You guys shouldn't be so hostile. Believe it or not there exist people that know nothing of this whole computer thing.
I wonder why they would be in the Ubuntu Forums? :-k
The bold text and the flying LOL sign should also be a signal for sarcasm.

robsoles
June 11th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I wonder why they would be in the Ubuntu Forums? :-k
The bold text and the flying LOL sign should also be a signal for sarcasm.

When I see a post like that in a 'less formal' sub-forum I usually decide to assume they found the thread by some sort of site-wide search and didn't realise it isn't meant to be advice for anybody who might actually be having trouble with 'it' somehow.