PDA

View Full Version : "Windows 8 apps will be created in HTML5 and JavaScript"

Ric_NYC
June 6th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Microsoft needs to tell Windows 8 developers now about 'Jupiter' and Silverlight

Last week during the first public preview of the Windows 8 user interface, Microsoft officials said that new Windows 8 apps will be created in HTML5 and JavaScript. By deciding not to mention anything about .Net and Silverlight — telling developers they’d have to wait until the September Build conference to hear more — company officials ended up setting off new speculation that the company is poised to dump its current frameworks and programming interfaces.

(If you don’t think Microsoft’s developers are worried, I’d point you to this post about the future of Silverlight on the Silverlight Forums site (http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/t/230502.aspx), which had lots of vitriolic comments and more than seven million page views before the thread was locked and new threads complaining about Microsoft’s lack of information were started (http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/t/230744.aspx).)

More info on Zdnet (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-needs-to-tell-windows-8-developers-now-about-jupiter-and-silverlight/9608?tag=content;selector-blogs).

Windows 8: Microsoft’s high-stakes .NET tablet gamble
No room in the HTML/Javascript lifeboat

Program Manager Jensen Harris says in the preview video:

We introduced a new platform based on standard web technologies

Microsoft made no mention of either Silverlight or .NET, even though Silverlight is used as the development platform in Windows Phone 7, from which Windows 8 Tiled mode draws its inspiration.

The fear of .NET developers is that Microsoft's Windows team now regards not only Silverlight but also .NET as a legacy technology. Everything will still run, but to take full advantage of Tiled mode you will need to use the new HTML and Javascript model. Here are a couple of sample comments. This:

My biggest fears coming into Windows 8 was that, as a mostly WPF+.NET developer, was that they would shift everything to Silverlight and leave the FULL platform (can you write a Visual Studio in Silverlight? of course not, not designed for that) in the dust. To my utter shock, they did something much, much, much worse.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/06/06/windows_tablets_without_silverlight_dot_net/

nidzo732
June 6th, 2011, 05:27 PM
And, we thought unity is bad:)

Oxwivi
June 6th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Anyone betting on a new Mac interface?

forrestcupp
June 6th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I think there will be a difference between phone/tablet style apps and full fledged programs. I don't see how you could efficiently develop a complete program like Quickbooks or Photoshop using HTML5 and JavaScript. They're just scripting languages without a hint of object oriented structure. That's like taking 5 steps backwards in programming technology.

They're still going to support the more full featured developing techniques; they will just have to be run in the legacy user interface.

Oxwivi
June 6th, 2011, 07:40 PM
There is a legacy user interface that can be switched to like native apps. The preview video showed currently it looks exactly like Windows 7.

Dragonbite
June 6th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Get all the .NET developers over to Linux and program in Mono and Vala (which is a C#-like syntax). :popcorn:

Oxwivi
June 6th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Get all the .NET developers over to Linux and program in Mono and Vala (which is a C#-like syntax). :popcorn:
Red Hat ain't gonna be able to afford that much!

lulled
June 6th, 2011, 08:20 PM
And, we thought unity is bad:)
Did anyone think Unity is bad??? :o

potrick
June 7th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I wrote about Unity on MakeUseOf recently; almost all of the comments have been about how Ubuntu should stop messing around with the interface and just try to be like Windows, because that's what people are familiar with.

And there were a lot of comments.

I have to wonder how much hate Microsoft's forward-looking move is going to generate.

Unity was necessary; the desktop needs to move forward or be abandoned. Ubuntu trying to do so is the source of no small outrage, but Microsoft is going to face a much harder battle with its users. My bet is this entire thing is dropped without months of release, like WinFS.

spupy
June 7th, 2011, 06:47 PM
As I understood HTML5+JS will be mostly for apps for the new Tiles interface. You still have the old windows+taskbar desktop below.

gnomeuser
June 7th, 2011, 08:17 PM
first this is a short demo of a very early stage of a possible user interface. Microsoft has made major changes before and dropped features prior to release. Till the beta is out I doubt we can say for certain what is in Windows 8 and roughly how it will look.

Microsofts commitment to HTML5 is well known so it is no surprise that they demo something using the latest buzzword.

It is also clear that Microsoft employees are under NDA on Windows 8 (see: Davey Brions blog). What story is to be told for anything relating to other aspects such as Silverlight and .NET is simply not something they are allowed to tell us, sadly.

So simmer down, await and use time productively to improve our own platform.

Nyromith
June 7th, 2011, 10:32 PM
My grim prophecy about the changes in the digital world:

I'm afraid all this web and cloud craze in the software world, and tablets/smartphones plague in the hardware world, are a preparation for a massive strike on Personal Computing, from all the leading companies.

In the software world, those evil corporations are planning to turn a wonderful technology that we have against us - the internet, by abusing its huge improvement in speed over the years. Windows 8 is a testing ground for Windows 9, which will not be a full-featured operating system that it is now, but a web browser that will connect to a website - the desktop of Windows 8, sitting on Microsoft's servers. Every application that we will want to run will be a website. Google follows the same path.

And all this is directly connected to the hardware world. To force people to use websites rather than local applications, there is a need to drastically reduce the processing power we have today - by manufacturing very weak devices that use a different processor architecture - ARM, that is not compatible with the vast amount of software that is exists today. The more people will use toys instead of computers, the greater is the chance new software will be written by the new standards - local and very limited, or powerful as web-based. Needless to say that not everyone who can write software to run locally has the money for an expensive server infrastructure. Large corporations have.

So as I see it, by 2015 personal computers and personal software will be almost extincted, and replaced by large tablets and small smartphones, that will perfectly fill the degrading needs of former PC holders.

Enterprise environments will also find themselves under attack - Amazon and other will try to suck the local infrastructure into a virtual environment that sits on their servers and feeds their IT departments.

And we, the real computer geeks (double meaning), will be pushed back to our basements and green CLIs, and will be the tiny minority that remember the glorious era of Personal Computing. I believe Linux will survive, but I'm afraid real computers will become very expensive and hard to get.