PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite terminal emulator

vehemoth
June 6th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Mines tilda, but I don't like how it fails to start properly sometimes.

cgroza
June 6th, 2011, 03:24 AM
gnome-terminal

ilovelinux33467
June 6th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Konsole and Yakuake

Dustin2128
June 6th, 2011, 03:37 AM
gnome-terminal
this, tilda and yakuake.

NightwishFan
June 6th, 2011, 03:42 AM
I used to like Yakuake a lot. Now I use either xterm or gnome-terminal.

RoflHaxBbq
June 6th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I like gnome-terminal because I'm original.

uRock
June 6th, 2011, 04:10 AM
My favorite terminal is whichever one comes with the different *ubuntu versions I am using at the moment. They all get the job done without any complaints on my end, though it would be great to hear what other emulators have to offer.

|{urse
June 6th, 2011, 04:13 AM
I'm all about the yakuake for a drop-down or rxvt. I like konsole also.

lovinglinux
June 6th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Konsole and Yakuake

This.

BTW, anyone experiencing graphical issues with gnome-terminal on KDE? When I use that emulator, it takes a lot of time to load and when it does, it is initially displayed all messed up.

CharlesA
June 6th, 2011, 04:34 AM
gnome-terminal

My favorite is probably Konsole, but I usually use that ^ or Putty. ;)

athenroy
June 6th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I use what comes with the desktop. Right now, Gnome-terminal set to transparent with orange font(matches my background!)!

Bandit
June 6th, 2011, 05:45 AM
gnome-terminal

Yea gnome-terminal is my fav also. Simple and easy to customise.

Thewhistlingwind
June 6th, 2011, 05:50 AM
gnome-terminal

+1

I prefer green on black text myself.

Dobbie03
June 6th, 2011, 06:17 AM
I use Guake, I like it how I only have to push the f12 button and I am on my way,

Nyromith
June 6th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I like XFCE terminal. White text with green not blinking cursor looks awesome. It even has the option to turn off font anti-aliasing, which I don't like in a terminal.

Spice Weasel
June 6th, 2011, 08:42 AM
urxvt

DaithiF
June 6th, 2011, 08:47 AM
cmd.exe on windows.

nah just kidding, rxvt

nothingspecial
June 6th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I was using what ever came with the distro till I read this thread. Now I'm having a go with guake. It seems that some of the keybindings conflict with byobu, but I notice you can change them. I might continue with it.

Random_Dude
June 6th, 2011, 09:05 AM
gnome-terminal

This.
I've tried other emulators, but I seem to always get back to gnome-terminal. However, I don't like the defaults, I change it to white text on black background with a bit of transparency.

Cheers :cool:

Kromgol
June 6th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I love sakura.

el_koraco
June 6th, 2011, 09:44 AM
lxterminal

gutterslob
June 6th, 2011, 09:47 AM
urxvt

Zero2Nine
June 6th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Just gnome-terminal. But I'd use the default terminal for any distro or DE because I don't spend so much time in it.

Aquix
June 6th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I can't live without tilda witch I guess is gnome-terminal. I have it set to fullscreen and it's always just a F1 away. In and out in nano seconds.

leviathan8
June 6th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Terminator.

m_duck
June 6th, 2011, 01:16 PM
xterm or urxvt for me.

RiceMonster
June 6th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Whatever the default one that comes with the DE is. Konsole, gnome-terminal, xfterm4, all the same to me.

whatthefunk
June 6th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I like guake. I like how easy it is to get to and I like how I can have it take half the screen and stay there while I use the other half...makes it easy to cut and paste and read online guides.

KoolPenguin
June 6th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Guake, Press F12 and its there.

cgroza
June 6th, 2011, 02:55 PM
+1

I prefer green on black text myself.
Green FTW. Makes it look hacky.

cgroza
June 6th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Anyone knosws a emulator which offers emacs shortcuts?

BrokenKingpin
June 6th, 2011, 03:04 PM
gnome-terminal... has never done anything to not make me like it. That being said when I am in KDE or XFCE, those terminals work just fine for me as well.

ghostborg
June 6th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I've always used gnome-terminal and tried Terminator with tabs but found that I would accidently close all of them.

3xp10r3r|X13
June 6th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I really like the Xfce Terminal Emulator. It provides a really nice design and works fine, just as pretty much all of them.

Simian Man
June 6th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Whatever the default one that comes with the DE is. Konsole, gnome-terminal, xfterm4, all the same to me.

Me too. As long as it has tabs, transparency and lets you change the colors it doesn't bother me. I usually use KDE, so I spend most time with Konsole.

I don't really like the Quake style drop down consoles because I usually spend a fair amount of time in the shell at a time. I can see how they'd be nice for just entering a few commands though.

nothingspecial
June 6th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Me too. As long as it has tabs, transparency and lets you change the colors it doesn't bother me. I usually use KDE, so I spend most time with Konsole.

I don't really like the Quake style drop down consoles because I usually spend a fair amount of time in the shell at a time. I can see how they'd be nice for just entering a few commands though.

I've just started using quake today and it is great for spending a good deal of time in the shell. I'm running it full screen with a windows for elinks, irssi, mail, music ..... etc - and if I want a gui F12 and it goes away, only to return with another F12.

I really like it.

odiseo77
June 6th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Yakuake, but since I use Gnome, then I have to use Guake (it's good too, but Yakuake is nicer).

wojox
June 6th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Terminator.

This plus byobu loaded on start.

VCoolio
June 6th, 2011, 10:48 PM
urxvt, best lightweight-features-usability ratio, very configurable, very cross-de. And I like tmux a lot to run in it.

zealibib slaughter
June 6th, 2011, 10:55 PM
guake and gnome-terminal embeded on the desktop via compiz

whatthefunk
June 7th, 2011, 12:27 AM

F11 toggles full screen in Guake.

krapp
October 19th, 2011, 02:04 AM

I think you can run a shell within Emacs.

cgroza
October 19th, 2011, 02:29 AM
I think you can run a shell within Emacs.
Yes, but eshell is a dumb terminal, and the ansi one does not work very well here.

Pogeymanz
October 19th, 2011, 02:57 AM
I used to say that urxvt was my favorite. It was very fast at displaying big outputs on my old computer, but I've had trouble with it using an xft font and compositing.

These days, I really like lilyterm and sakura.

Basically, all the vte-based terminals are the same. It's just a matter of how easy it is to enable/configure my favorite settings.

krapp
October 19th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Yes, but eshell is a dumb terminal, and the ansi one does not work very well here.

This is probably the only place to look http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryShell. If it's not there you could ask on reddit at /r/emacs or on IRC.

Returning to the topic, my favorite presently is anything that displays the Ubuntu Mono font correctly and with little fuss. Gnome Terminal does this nicely.

vehemoth
October 19th, 2011, 03:40 AM
I used to say that urxvt was my favorite. It was very fast at displaying big outputs on my old computer, but I've had trouble with it using an xft font and compositing.
That's interesting, I'm assuming you had xft enabled when compiling. I currently prefer RXVT-Unicode because it's the only one I know of that I can follow links in man pages even without touching the rat.
I might have to look into what terminals fit best into kde as the latest kde looks awesome.

lovinglinux
October 19th, 2011, 03:44 AM
konsole and yakuake

+1

not found
October 19th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Wait... there is more than one?!

:p

PS - On topic, I use which ever one comes up with Ctrl+Alt+T...

Bachstelze
October 19th, 2011, 04:32 AM

zsh offers an Emacs editing mode (actually it's the default). I don't know how faithful it is to the original Emacs since I don't use it, but I guess it should be pretty close.

Also Terminal.app.

Rodney9
October 19th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Xfce Terminal Emulator

ilovelinux33467
October 19th, 2011, 04:44 AM
I might have to look into what terminals fit best into kde as the latest kde looks awesome.

Konsole comes with KDE and fits quite well :). Actually even the gtk based terminal emulators should fit well into KDE due to oxygen-gtk. See attached screenshot.

vehemoth
October 19th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Konsole comes with KDE and fits quite well :). Actually even the gtk based terminal emulators should fit well into KDE due to oxygen-gtk. See attached screenshot. I've had a quick look at konsole but the default font didn't work too well (probably not monospace or something) and I had a problem with the cursor appearing over the last typed character.
P.S. I'm not installing kde as a whole and I'm just picking and choosing what I want, last time I used a kde based distro I didn't like the default selection of apps. However so far the menu seems to be much better than last time (not sure if it was distro specific though) and the notifications are done in a nice way.

Lucradia
October 19th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Sakura

a2j
October 19th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Guake. Green on black.

mips
October 19th, 2011, 06:44 PM
sakura, terminator, xfce terminal all work well. I'm over things like Yakuake etc.