PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] video card

calolmos
June 6th, 2011, 03:17 AM
So... i am brand new to linux and not very tech savvy to begin with. i am still learning the very basics of ubuntu. i need someone to hold my hand and tell me how to install a driver for my nvidia EN8600GTS video card. it seems very confusing, i can find linux drivers on the nvidia site. however, i am clueless as to how to install them. i know i need some programs to run some windows stuff but don't know which one or ones to get. If anyone can help, i would be very grateful.

Thanks

papibe
June 6th, 2011, 03:25 AM
The safest way is to install a tested version provided by Ubuntu. Go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers.

Check this tutorial (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/nvidia)for more info.

Regards.

calolmos
June 6th, 2011, 03:40 AM
that was so easy, i feel stupid.

thanks so much for the quick response

papibe
June 6th, 2011, 03:47 AM
that was so easy, i feel stupid.

Please don't. Keep asking questions, and enjoying the forums!

Regards.

calolmos
June 6th, 2011, 04:00 AM
hmm... I see that hey have been downloaded but i don't think installed... i get this message in additional drivers "this driver is activated but not currently in use" ?

papibe
June 6th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Could you post the content of this file /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?

calolmos
June 6th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Also, i suppose the pad lock icon over the "additional drivers" has something to do with it. I have administration rights, i think. i can not find a administrator page from system settings,

System > Administration?

calolmos
June 6th, 2011, 05:00 AM
i can not seem to find, or know how to find this file, "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

sorry,

papibe
June 6th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Open a terminal and run this:

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Regards.

jwcalla
June 6th, 2011, 08:25 AM
After enabling the drivers, did you reboot? It's one of the unfortunate things that must be done when graphics drivers are installed.

calolmos
June 7th, 2011, 06:55 PM
yes, i did. but now i have a much more serious issue. i did not have a firewall installed, and now ubuntu won't load. don't know for sure if they are related.

when i try to install ubuntu from scratch again, nothing happens