PDA

View Full Version : 24 ssd raid. Wow!

swoll1980
June 5th, 2011, 04:02 AM
I had know idea. Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs)

sammiev
June 5th, 2011, 04:18 AM
That's smoking! :)

papibe
June 5th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Impressive! It makes me want to buy an SSD drive... and the prices turn me back to reality: I can't afford it.

Dustin2128
June 5th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Makes me wish I had a good few SSDs.

swoll1980
June 5th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Makes me wish I had a good few SSDs.

Makes me wish I had 24 :P

Bandit
June 5th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I almost busted a gut when they pulled out the fire extinguisher.. lol

Legendary_Bibo
June 5th, 2011, 05:59 AM
They ripped a DVD in 0.8 seconds. Want.

jespdj
June 5th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I recently built a new desktop computer with an SSD, an OCZ Vertex 3 (120 GB). This driver has a new controller that can read up to 500 MB/s. It's indeed superfast. If you think your harddisk is slowing you down, then an SSD is definitely something that I can recommend. To take advantage of the full speed of the OCZ Vertex 3, you do need new SATA 6 Gb/s (SATA-3) connections in your computer. The old SATA-2 is too slow for this SSD.

They ripped a DVD in 0.8 seconds. Want.
No, they copied the content of a ripped DVD in 0.8 seconds. There is no DVD driver in the world that can read a whole DVD in 0.8 seconds.

papibe
June 5th, 2011, 05:23 PM
OCZ Vertex 3
+1

Maximum PC magazine did a roundup of SSD drives on their June issue. The OCZ Vertex 3 came on top.

Regards.

Bart_D
June 5th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Maximum PC magazine did a roundup of SSD drives on their June issue. The OCZ Vertex 3 came on top.

What?

I thought that tht Intel X25M(can't remember the exact name) was much better than any other SSD.

What makes the Vertex better than that Intel SSD?

IWantFroyo
June 5th, 2011, 06:40 PM
And that looks like Windows Vista. Impressive.

Oxwivi
June 5th, 2011, 08:22 PM
And that looks like Windows Vista. Impressive.
Yeah, it's that fast with Vista, imagine the performance with Linux-based OSs...

Bandit
June 5th, 2011, 08:33 PM
+1

Ohh nice new model..

What?

I thought that tht Intel X25M(can't remember the exact name) was much better than any other SSD.

What makes the Vertex better than that Intel SSD?
Intel and OCZ are neck and neck on performance and quality of product. IMHO also the only two brands worth having in the SSD market.

Dustin2128
June 5th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I might do a RAID 0 on a pair of 8 or 16GB SSDs since it's what I can afford, plus the risk of drive failure taking out the whole array is low.

Legendary_Bibo
June 5th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Ubuntu 10.10+ supports the trim command for SSDs now I believe. If I could afford a 250gb SSD and replace my 320gb drive in my laptop I'd do it in a heart beat. I can only imagine...Gimp loading in less than a minute.

Dustin2128
June 5th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Ubuntu 10.10+ supports the trim command for SSDs now I believe. If I could afford a 250gb SSD and replace my 320gb drive in my laptop I'd do it in a heart beat. I can only imagine...Gimp loading in less than a minute.
I run loads of desktop systems and I'm thinking of swapping out a lot of smaller drives for 8 gig SSDs. Is there anything in particular you need to do to extend the life of the drive? I've heard don't use ext3 or 4 but that's all. Anyway, my plan is to buy maybe a 16 or 32GB SATA II drive for use in my desktop in which I put my root directory and most of my home, with larger stuff like games and movies on my 300GB mechanical drive.

JustinR
June 5th, 2011, 11:35 PM

I have an Intel X25-V, one of their slowest performing SSD, and GIMP loads in only 15 seconds!

Legendary_Bibo
June 5th, 2011, 11:46 PM
I have an Intel X25-V, one of their slowest performing SSD, and GIMP loads in only 15 seconds!

Do you have a bunch of brushes, and gradients in your Gimp folder?

I have like 700mb of extra stuff, and it makes Gimp take a significantly bit longer to load.

Legendary_Bibo
June 5th, 2011, 11:48 PM
I run loads of desktop systems and I'm thinking of swapping out a lot of smaller drives for 8 gig SSDs. Is there anything in particular you need to do to extend the life of the drive? I've heard don't use ext3 or 4 but that's all. Anyway, my plan is to buy maybe a 16 or 32GB SATA II drive for use in my desktop in which I put my root directory and most of my home, with larger stuff like games and movies on my 300GB mechanical drive.

I wonder if my laptop has an unused hard drive slot. If it doesn I could use that to put the OS on it, and keep my home and Windows partition on the normal harddrive (or even put Windows on the SSD as well). Also, programs that are large would get moved to the SSD as well (Gimp, maybe CS4, anything that has long loading times).

Dry Lips
June 6th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I might do a RAID 0 on a pair of 8 or 16GB SSDs since it's what I can afford, plus the risk of drive failure taking out the whole array is low.

How much electricity does a SSD use compared to a normal Green HDD,
and do they fail as often as normal HDDs when you use them in a server?

Legendary_Bibo
June 6th, 2011, 12:33 AM
How much electricity does a SSD use compared to a normal Green HDD,
and do they fail as often as normal HDDs when you use them in a server?

I've heard the ones now have a minuscule failure rate compared to the mechanical drives. Also they do use less electricity.

Dry Lips
June 6th, 2011, 12:44 AM
I've heard the ones now have a minuscule failure rate compared to the mechanical drives. Also they do use less electricity.

So I guess a SSD drive is a good alternative to a traditional RAID 1 setup?

Legendary_Bibo
June 6th, 2011, 12:48 AM

yeah, but a RAID 1 of SSDs are the best option.

Dry Lips
June 6th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Well, is there any point at all in having RAID 1/SSD if they are so
much less prone to malfunction in the first place?

The reason why you have RAID 1 is mainly to have a backup in
case one of the HDDs fails, right?

---
I want to point out that I'm not making an argument,
but I'm simply curious..

Bandit
June 6th, 2011, 02:28 AM

GIMP loads in 5 secs on my system after a fresh reboot.

Bandit
June 6th, 2011, 02:30 AM

yeah, but a RAID 1 of SSDs are the best option.
Think yall two are confusing RAID1 (Mirroring) With RAID0 (Stripping).

Well, is there any point at all in having RAID 1/SSD if they are so
much less prone to malfunction in the first place?

The reason why you have RAID 1 is mainly to have a backup in
case one of the HDDs fails, right?

---
I want to point out that I'm not making an argument,
but I'm simply curious..
You are correct though..

KingYaba
June 6th, 2011, 05:06 AM
One of these days I will have an SSD array. One of these days... :(

Legendary_Bibo
June 6th, 2011, 06:29 AM

You are correct though..

I was just saying that a RAID 1 of SSDs was safer than a single SSD.

Legendary_Bibo
June 6th, 2011, 06:30 AM

That's...beautiful.

Dry Lips
June 6th, 2011, 12:00 PM

We do? The point we discussed was HDD failure. When you have RAID 1
your system won't go down if one of the disks malfunction...

My question was:

Which is better on a web server? (in terms of safety):
a) RAID 1 (mirroring) of two traditional green HDDs
b) or 1 single SSD. (No RAID.)

--

Bandit & Legendary_Bibo: Mine does also load in 5 seconds.

But I haven't any plug-ins or brushes installed...;)

earthpigg
June 6th, 2011, 04:27 PM

Sounds about right for me, too.

OO.o Writer in about 2.5?

*-disk:1
description: ATA Disk
product: OCZ-VERTEX
physical id: 1
bus info: scsi@3:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sdb
version: 1.31
serial: xxxxxxxxxxxx
size: 59GiB (64GB)
*-volume
description: EXT4 volume
vendor: Linux

I was lazy and just put it as / with my radial hd as /home...

I think next time I reinstall Ubuntu, it'll be with the SSD as /, with the radial hd only as /home/chris/multimedia or something similar. Movies/Music/Pictures are the only reason my /home wouldn't be able to entirely fit on the SSD, and I never watch movies faster than one second per second anyways.

But, yeah, back on topic: I think a second SSD would have been a better allocation of funds on this build than the GTS 250 and i7. A more modest video card and i5, paired with a second identical SSD, would have been better.

JustinR
June 6th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Do you have a bunch of brushes, and gradients in your Gimp folder?

I have like 700mb of extra stuff, and it makes Gimp take a significantly bit longer to load.

I have quite of extra from all over the internet loaded into GIMP, but I don't believe it all adds up to 700MB - maybe 400-500MB. But I imagine it shouldn't take much longer to read an extra 200MB, less than a second at the drives full speed of 283MB/s!