PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Creating bash file to launch minecraft server

Taryup
June 3rd, 2011, 10:48 AM
Hi!

I'm playing quite much minecraft and are also hosting servers sometimes at LAN-partys and stuff.

So what I'm wondering is how to create a desktop icon for my minecraft_server.jar (thats in another folder) and run it like this:

java -Xms2499M -Xmx2500M -jar minecraft_server.jar noguiThis is because i need more memory than the normal settings, so i have to use these settings. When i cd in terminal it works fine, but when i put it in a script it doesn't work.

Thanks!

frankbooth
June 3rd, 2011, 11:38 AM
Shouldn't this do the trick?

#!/bin/bash
java -Xms2499M -Xmx2500M -jar /in/another/folder/minecraft_server.jar nogui

save it to a file called (for example): minecraft.sh
and make it executeable

EDIT: I'm not a big timer when it comes to bash scripting ;)

Taryup
June 3rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
That didn't work for me. There is no error. I just launch the minecraft_server.sh (that i made) with a program launcher from the desktop. What could I have done wrong? The ".sh" file contains the code you said.

Zorael
June 3rd, 2011, 12:37 PM
Try running it from a terminal and see what error messages it outputs there (if any).

$ ./minecraft.sh

Taryup
June 3rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
It said access denied when I tried to open it. Is there a command that gives me admin rights? Cause I'm admin on this account on the computer.

Zorael
June 3rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
You need to set it to be executable, else it's just a text file. Linux doesn't think in terms of file extensions the way Windows does; a file can be named herp.txt and still be a binary executable.

$ chmod +x minecraft.sh
$ ./minecraft.sh

Taryup
June 3rd, 2011, 01:32 PM
Still doesn't work :( Where am I gonna put the chmod? just anywhere in the ".sh" file?

Laforge129
June 3rd, 2011, 01:43 PM
Still doesn't work :( Where am I gonna put the chmod? just anywhere in the ".sh" file?

Have you tried:
edit minecraft.sh

#!/bin/bash
Sudo java -Xms2499M -Xmx2500M -jar /in/another/folder/minecraft_server.jar nogui

sh minecraft.sh

usually when it says access denied you need admin rights!

Taryup
June 3rd, 2011, 01:57 PM
Wrong post..

Zorael
June 3rd, 2011, 03:03 PM
No; you need to set the script to be executable, either from the terminal by running that command or graphically in a file browser. If you're not familiar with the terminal, forget my previous post.

Since what you want to create to begin with is a launcher (icon) on your desktop, you can either create the script and then make a launcher that runs it, or just make a launcher right away that does the same thing without needing the script. You need a Folder View widget to create such a launcher in, or alternatively have your whole desktop workspace be a Folder View.

This is determined by right-clicking your desktop and picking Settings, then in the View tab change Layout to what you want it to be. A "Desktop" layout houses widgets, be they either Folder Views or analogue clocks or whatnot. A "Folder View" layout is equavilent to the Windows desktop; it represents a folder someplace - the Desktop directory in your home being the default - and shows the files in there.
Creating such a launcher can be done in the Applications Menu editor instead if you want the launcher to reside there.

--------------- True launcher route (script-less)

When in a Folder View, right click an empty space and pick Create New -> Link to Application.

Alternatively, right click your Applications Menu and pick Edit Applications. In there hit New Item. The tab names differ a bit in the two approaches, but the following guide should be easy enough to follow in either.

General tab
Name the application what you want, probably 'Minecraft Server' or so
Application tab
Description: the "alternative name" for the launcher. It has no effect when the launcher is outside the applications menu
Comment: the little text that's shown when you mouseover your launcher. So you could put 'Sandbox Mining Game Server' there, but it's optional
Command: java -Xms2499M -Xmx2500M -jar /full/path/to/minecraft_server.jar nogui
Work path: /full/path/to (where minecraft_server.jar is located)
Advanced options:
check Run in a terminal and optionally Do not close when command exits

OK

Once the launcher is created you can right-click it and then click the big icon in the General tab to change the launcher's icon.

--------------- Script route (graphical way)

Open up Dolphin and navigate to where the script is. Right-click it and select Properties. Head over to the Permissions tab and tick Is executable. Now try double-clicking the script and see if it starts properly. Note that this will probably make the script run in the background, which is not preferable with the Minecraft server if you want to run server commands.

Now that it's set to executable, if it still doesn't work then the error is elsewhere, probably in the script itself. It should no longer give an error about missing permissions, although it might give errors about not finding files, since you didn't run the script from its own directory.

You should never need to run it with sudo.

holy markups again batman

Taryup
June 3rd, 2011, 07:33 PM
I can't get into folder view. Right-clicking my desktop but I can't find any "Settings".

Taryup
June 3rd, 2011, 07:44 PM
Okey, I was in folder view. -.- And now it works. Seems that that the problem was that i didn't enter the whole path to the "minecraft_server.jar" in this command:

java -Xms2499M -Xmx2500M -jar (here /full/path/to/ )minecraft_server.jar nogui

Thank you really much for helping me out with this!

tvetter05
June 20th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Using Zorael's method works, only it creates a new world and files in /home/user and doesn't use my existing one in /home/user/minecraft-server. How can I fix this? Thanks.

java -Xmx1024M -Xmx1024M -jar /home/user/minecraft-server/minecraft_server.jar nogui