PDA

View Full Version : Ever seen the film the core? ext3 file-system

micha8l
June 3rd, 2011, 02:43 AM
Unusual one, but I'm experimenting on how best to corrupt an old hard-drive I've got spare. It's formatted with ext3 file-system. So far I've been using magnets on it to try corrupt it, but the thing keeps running!!

I think I need a more powerful tool than hand magnets, I remember watching the film The Core where the hacker Rat uses some kind of hand-tool that looks like a hair-dryer, I assume it generate a electromagnetic wave, which in my case would be perfect.

What's the name of the tool ^ or something else that could corrupt a hard-drive without the hard-drive being turned on?

Kind Regards
Mike

psusi
June 3rd, 2011, 03:32 AM
Probably a degauser. Used to have to use them on CRTs every once in a while to fix 'em when the image got screwed up.

June 3rd, 2011, 03:58 AM
I used a large magnet to erase a self-replicating DOS virus from a drive once. I even managed to repair the disk after that using a disk doctor program.

Jennie023
June 3rd, 2011, 05:08 AM
I used a large magnet to erase a self-replicating DOS virus from a drive once. I even managed to repair the disk after that using a disk doctor program.

Does it worked ? :-\"

haveguitarwilltravel
June 3rd, 2011, 05:57 AM
Take a power Drill, Drill 3 symmetrical holes right through the disk, that'll do the trick. :)

jerome1232
June 3rd, 2011, 06:38 AM
Throw it into a bonfire! Get it right there in the coals.

Morderwurst
June 3rd, 2011, 07:34 AM
Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ckechIqW0

linuxinstalledfromhdd
June 3rd, 2011, 07:42 AM
take out the screws. remove the platters and use them as drink coasters or rear view mirror shrine thing-a-ma-bobs