PDA

View Full Version : Geohotz and piracy?

8jwong14
June 3rd, 2011, 12:34 AM
Did he support piracy? If not, did he release a disclaimer with his cracks warning not to pirate stuff? If he did support piracy, did he support open-source which cna make a lot of software free (pirates like free stuff)?

earthpigg
June 3rd, 2011, 01:26 AM
Did he support piracy?

I believe he was indifferent to traditional copyright infringement, aside from infringing certain provisions of the DMCA (something virtually all of us do. I'm an American, and I didn't purchase the codecs I use with Ubuntu - did you?).

If not, did he release a disclaimer with his cracks warning not to pirate stuff?

What makes that his responsibility?

The iTunes Terms of Service warn you not to use iTunes to manufacture nuclear weapons. (seriously (http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html) - ctrl+f and then type 'nuclear') Do you believe it to be Apple's responsibility to put that silly warning there?

Should all hammers come with a disclaimer warning the user not to use it on someone's head except in self defense? It is obviously useful as a weapon, after all.

If he did support piracy, did he support open-source which cna make a lot of software free (pirates like free stuff)?

You really have to define "support", here. Am I supporting violence against women and drunk drivers when I drink a beer?

I guess I don't have any direct answers to your questions, except that we need to come to a common agreement about what certain words mean and how responsibility works before we can move on with the discussion.

Dustin2128
June 3rd, 2011, 02:07 AM
He simply opened up the playstation 3. After that, I doubt he cared what anyone did- that's the point. He just wanted to give people control over their purchased hardware. Sony did what sony does- overreact.
Bahahah, brilliant earthpigg. The relevant quote from itunes eula:
You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture, or production of nuclear, missile, or chemical or biological weapons.

dniMretsaM
June 3rd, 2011, 02:13 AM
No, he does not support piracy. In his PS3 jailbreak, he made it so that you can not use backup games. Obviously there are patches that allow you to do this, but Geohot made a conscious effort to stop piracy with his work.

8jwong14
June 3rd, 2011, 10:49 PM
No, he does not support piracy. In his PS3 jailbreak, he made it so that you can not use backup games. Obviously there are patches that allow you to do this, but Geohot made a conscious effort to stop piracy with his work.
DO you have any links to this? IF what you say is true, then I will support Geohotz's actions.