PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HD Flash on Atom/Ion - does it work?

alexeix
June 2nd, 2011, 11:18 PM
Hi,

Having spent many hours trying to get the BBC iPlayer (and other HD Flash sites), to play back in 1080p, I have to admit defeat.

I understood that this should be possible with the latest nVidia drivers, available at this point in time, which can take advantage of hardware acceleration!?

I've followed numerous tutorials online, but cannot get it working within Firefox or XBMC!!

My question is, does anyone actually have 1080p Flash playing correctly on an Atom/Ion PC (e.g. the Acer Aspire Revo 3610)???
If so, please advise what you did to make it work.

If I can't get this working, I will have to install Windows, because I need Flash HD playback in 1080p.

Looking forward to hearing feedback based on personal experience.
Thanks.

lovinglinux
June 3rd, 2011, 08:08 AM
Install Flash-Aid (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flash-aid/). Run the add-on wizard. It the Tweaking options, make sure Flash-Aid detected and selected the option to Enable Linux HWVideo Decode. If not, then make sure you have vdpau installed.

Let me know if it doesn't detect that option, so I can troubleshoot the add-on code.

alexeix
June 3rd, 2011, 09:24 AM
Thank you for the reply.

I will certainly go ahead and troubleshoot as you advise, but please can you refer me to an HD Flash site which you can run on a similarly low-specced PC?

Nobody has yet replied to say they can do anything HD...

:(

alexeix
June 6th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I installed Flash Aid and HD Flash performance has improved, but is still choppy; it's not good enough for using a Linux box as a media center for Flash video.

To confirm, I did tick 'Enable Linux hwvideo decode'.

Is there anything else to try?

lovinglinux
June 7th, 2011, 12:04 AM
I installed Flash Aid and HD Flash performance has improved, but is still choppy; it's not good enough for using a Linux box as a media center for Flash video.

To confirm, I did tick 'Enable Linux hwvideo decode'.

Is there anything else to try?

See http://www.webgapps.org/tutorials/firefox/optimization/flash-optimization

alexeix
June 8th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the link.

I tried those suggestions (or rather, those that I could).
Under CompizConfig Settings Manager, I didn't have the Unredirect Fullscreen Windows option.

I didn't touch the Xorg tweaks either, because although competent, I've been burned by messing with Xorg in the past.

Unfortunately, HD Flash still doesn't play back properly.

It's quite telling that nobody has actually confirmed that they CAN watch HD BBC iPlayer content - or from any other site for that matter.
I suspect this is just a limitation of Flash on Ubuntu for now.

:(

lovinglinux
June 8th, 2011, 12:39 PM
It's quite telling that nobody has actually confirmed that they CAN watch HD BBC iPlayer content - or from any other site for that matter.
I suspect this is just a limitation of Flash on Ubuntu for now.

BBC iPlayer, Hulu and similar sites works on Linux, but sometimes they stop working with some updates. I don't know about your specific hardware tho.

I don't have access to those sites, because I live in Brazil, but I can watch flash HD on my desktop. However I have a low-end notebook that has problems playing flash even in low res.