PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] no titlebar buttons in unity session

sparker256
June 2nd, 2011, 01:02 PM
I found this bug report that matches what I am seeing. The titlebar buttons are not in unity 3d but they are in unity 2d and the other DE's. If you are also seeing this please add yourself to this bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/791081

Bill

kansasnoob
June 2nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
I "me-too"ed, commented, and subscribed.

I also added that bug# to the iso-tracker.

sparker256
June 2nd, 2011, 02:24 PM
I "me-too"ed, commented, and subscribed.

I also added that bug# to the iso-tracker.

Found another one against metacity package.

Bill

kansasnoob
June 2nd, 2011, 02:38 PM
So they may me dupes, I'll make a note of that.

BTW unity-2d is super buggy right now :)

You can review some of the bugs here:

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/

Just hover the pointer over the bug and it displays brief info, or click on it to see more.

Once alpha1 is released I'll bet a bunch of updates pour into the repos.

sparker256
June 2nd, 2011, 07:59 PM
So they may me dupes, I'll make a note of that.

BTW unity-2d is super buggy right now :)

You can review some of the bugs here:

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/

Just hover the pointer over the bug and it displays brief info, or click on it to see more.

Once alpha1 is released I'll bet a bunch of updates pour into the repos.
Yes there were dupes and this is the correct one that has been assigned to the Canonical Desktop Experience Team. Now I know it is a bug and will be fixed.

Bill

athenroy
June 3rd, 2011, 02:23 AM
I'm using 11.04, Classic Desktop and mine disappear if you click the little menu button on the opposite side of the window border. Fortunately, a restart restores the Min, Max and close buttons.

cariboo907
June 3rd, 2011, 08:16 AM
I'm using 11.04, Classic Desktop and mine disappear if you click the little menu button on the opposite side of the window border. Fortunately, a restart restores the Min, Max and close buttons.

If you aren't running Oneiric, this isn't the place to get help solving problems, please use the proper subforum.

VinDSL
June 3rd, 2011, 08:24 AM
You may, or may not believe this, but...

I haven't had titlebar buttons for 3-4 days, and...

I don't miss them at all! IMO, it's an improvement. LoL!

Maybe I'll continue running 'button-less' :D

VinDSL
June 3rd, 2011, 08:40 AM
Oh... BTW...

When I lost my buttons, I noticed another strange thing.

I change my wallpaper frequently. I store custom walls in ~/Pictures/Wallpaper.

Here's the weirdness...

The first time I choose a wallpaper, it works. If I switch to another wallpaper, I can't return to ANY of the wallpapers that I've run previously. I can't even rename the wall, or copy n' paste it, using a totally different name.

The only way I can switch back n' forth between (previously run) walls, is to move them to the wallpaper folder, in the system file area.

Heh! Hope that makes sense... :)

coffeecat
June 3rd, 2011, 09:05 AM
You may, or may not believe this, but...

I haven't had titlebar buttons for 3-4 days, and...

I don't miss them at all! IMO, it's an improvement. LoL!

Maybe I'll continue running 'button-less' :D

I have bad news for you! :) If you run the Alpha 1 live you get titlebar buttons back again. Which is odd because my hard drive installation fully updated to the time when the alpha 1 ISO was created still doesn't have buttons. I'll install alpha1 to a spare partition later and take special note as to whether I get buttons or not.

sparker256
June 3rd, 2011, 10:15 AM
I have bad news for you! :) If you run the Alpha 1 live you get titlebar buttons back again. Which is odd because my hard drive installation fully updated to the time when the alpha 1 ISO was created still doesn't have buttons. I'll install alpha1 to a spare partition later and take special note as to whether I get buttons or not.
You have alpha 1 with unity 3d and have titlebar buttons? I know that they are in unity 2d and gnome but not in unity 3d.

Bill

coffeecat
June 3rd, 2011, 10:27 AM
You have alpha 1 with unity 3d and have titlebar buttons? I know that they are in unity 2d and gnome but not in unity 3d.

Bill

Good point. Sorry for the misinformation. I'd forgotten that the live CD is defaulting itself to Unity 2d. If I log out (by killing the xserver with AltGr-Print-k) and in again choosing "Ubuntu" to get the 3d desktop in the live session, I don't get buttons after all.

I do get, "Sorry, the program <whatever> closed unexpectedly" though. :)

jfernyhough
June 3rd, 2011, 05:08 PM
Looks like this is a Compiz issue as I have the same thing, but with GNOME3 fallback + Compiz. Both Metacity and Mutter are fine (well, at least in terms of window buttons :D).

VinDSL
June 3rd, 2011, 10:01 PM
Heh! I'm still running a patched & mod'ed Natty Alpha 1 install. :D

I'm curious to see how long it will tolerate UbuOO updates, before it borks.

If it doesn't totally break by Beta 1, I'll switch over then.

Put another way, I have no interest in ISO testing, you know? ;)

seeker5528
June 4th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Oh... BTW...

When I lost my buttons, I noticed another strange thing.

I change my wallpaper frequently. I store custom walls in ~/Pictures/Wallpaper.

Here's the weirdness...

The first time I choose a wallpaper, it works. If I switch to another wallpaper, I can't return to ANY of the wallpapers that I've run previously. I can't even rename the wall, or copy n' paste it, using a totally different name.

That's a Gnome 3 thing, if you use the gnome-control-center background applet it only knows about the system wide wallpaper directory and your pictures directory, and it doesn't look recursively so for those of us who like to keep stuff organized it doesn't work.

The option to set the background in Nautilus seems to be MIA at the moment but if you open the wallpaper in EOG aka 'image viewer' and set the background from there that works and it gives you the option to 'open background preferences' so you can switch between zoom, stretch, scale, etc...

Later, Seeker

cariboo907
June 4th, 2011, 03:21 AM
If you click the + sigh in the lower left, you can navigate to the directory that your wallpapers are located in. See the screen shot.

VinDSL
June 4th, 2011, 05:54 AM
If you click the + sigh in the lower left, you can navigate to the directory that your wallpapers are located in. See the screen shot.
Yep, exactly!

The thing is, with any walls that I've previously used, the "Open" button is ghosted-out, thus it cannot be selected.

I have to copy the previously used walls to ~/usr/share/backgrounds, if I want to re-use them. ;)

Here's a screenie showing the ghosted "Open" button, and titlebar sans buttons...

(Click to expand)

http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-3-jun-2011(600x480).png (http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-3-jun-2011.png)

I kinda like the button-less titlebars. :)

cariboo907
June 4th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I'm running a fresh alpha 1 install, the button is active on my setup

seeker5528
June 4th, 2011, 06:45 PM
The thing is, with any walls that I've previously used, the "Open" button is ghosted-out, thus it cannot be selected.

Looks like the recent versions bring back something resembling the 2.x.x functionality.

Anything from outside of the Pictures folder that you have previously set as a background will show up when you switch to the 'Pictures Folder' view so having a grayed out open button when you are adding additional backgrounds is actually an improvement over 2.x.x.

I had to open the file manager and look to make sure no file organization was actually being harmed during the making of this movie. :p

Later, Seeker

scradock
June 4th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Looks like the recent versions bring back something resembling the 2.x.x functionality.

Anything from outside of the Pictures folder that you have previously set as a background will show up when you switch to the 'Pictures Folder' view so having a grayed out open button when you are adding additional backgrounds is actually an improvement over 2.x.x.

I had to open the file manager and look to make sure no file organization was actually being harmed during the making of this movie. :p

Later, Seeker

Curious - I installed afresh on May 29th, just before alpha1, and have kept updated since. I get the + active in both Pictures Folder and Wallpapers mode....

Must check how it is in my updated-upgraded-from-Lucid version of Oneiric...

VinDSL
June 4th, 2011, 11:09 PM
LoL!

I seem to be having a hard time describing this problem - maybe I should make a movie and put it on YouTube. :D

The walls work fine, if they're in ~/usr/share/backgrounds

The walls cannot be used more than once, if they're in ~/home

The "Open" option is not ghosted in ~/usr/share/backgrounds once you use a wall - you can switch back n' forth between any & all walls freely.

The "Open" option remains ghosted in ~/home, once you use a wall. And, once you use a wall, you cannot "Open" e.g. re-open it a second time, even if you change the filename, et cetera.

seeker5528
June 5th, 2011, 01:26 AM
LoL!

I seem to be having a hard time describing this problem

I'm still confused.

When I choose a wallpaper there is no open dialog, just thumbnails of wallpapers the background applet knows about either in the 'Wallpaper' view or the 'Pictures Folder' view.

These are the pictures that physically exist in my pictures folder

http://home.comcast.net/~seeker5528/Screenshot-GB1.png

If I browse for additional wallpapers to use and choose one I have already added it looks like this

http://home.comcast.net/~seeker5528/Screenshot-GB2.png

But it's not so bad that I can't 'open' a previously added wallpaper because when I switch to the 'Pictures Folder' view it remembers the wallpapers I have added from other locations and lets me choose any one of them.

http://home.comcast.net/~seeker5528/Screenshot-GB3.png

This is more or less the way it worked in Gnome 2.x.x, but I don't remember in Gnome 2.x.x having any indicator that you had already added the wallpaper.

I guess the next question would be if you could select multiple wallpapers to add at once as you could in Gnome 2.x.x. Yep, you can.

Later, Seeker

jerrylamos
June 5th, 2011, 02:04 PM
BFB doesn't show at the top left here inn daily build 5 June .iso Live, but clicking where it should be works. No big deal just curious.

Buttons at top right such as shutdown are there but very very faint.

Windows such as Home Folder etc. have no buttons but Alt-F4 works so I'm O.K.

"persistent" is also working but may take a couple boots to straighten out with a new daily build.

Haven't found any new bugs lately (see Alpha Release Notes for known bugs) on three test pc's, just things that haven't been implemented yet.

Certainly is quick to do a zsync and boot .iso Live persistent for checking what's happening in latest daily build.

I'm avoiding install for the moment having been burned with Natty Narwhal, and Alpha level install plus updates gets screwed up sooner or later.

Enjoy.

Jerry

sparker256
June 7th, 2011, 03:48 AM
This appears to be fixed so I have marked it solved.

Bill

VinDSL
June 7th, 2011, 08:54 AM

Bill
Yep!

Me titlebar buttons are back, too! :D

(Click to expand)

http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-7-jun-2011(2)(600x480).png (http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-7-jun-2011(2).png)

I really preferred it without the titlebar buttons, but... whatever.

No reason to get too experimental...

sparker256
June 7th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Yep!

Me titlebar buttons are back, too! :D

(Click to expand)

http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-7-jun-2011(2)(600x480).png (http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-7-jun-2011(2).png)

I really preferred it without the titlebar buttons, but... whatever.

No reason to get too experimental...

You have them on the wrong side but that is just me. :D

Ps. I did also want to thank you for your examples of what can be done with conky.

Bill

jerrylamos
June 7th, 2011, 12:31 PM

Bill

Not fixed on my newer faster pc with 6 June daily build..

6 June did have x-[] buttons on my netbook and my older Thinkpad T40.

?

I'm zsync'ing 7 June now. Wonder what's new/fixed/broken on it.

Jerry

BTW I prefer the x-[] on the top right....

sparker256
June 7th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Not fixed on my newer faster pc with 6 June daily build..

6 June did have x-[] buttons on my netbook and my older Thinkpad T40.

?

I'm zsync'ing 7 June now. Wonder what's new/fixed/broken on it.

Jerry

BTW I prefer the x-[] on the top right....

There is a newer version of compiz. If I remember there was a 060611 in the name and I will give the exact package as soon as I am done installing qtcreator.

compiz (1:0.9.4+bzr20110606-0ubuntu2) oneiric; urgency=low

* debian/rules, debian/compiz-gnome.install:
- generate g-c-c keybindings from new metacity package
- don't generate schema for gconf bindings, not sure we will ship them or
should switch to gsettings

-- Didier Roche <didrocks@ubuntu.com> Mon, 06 Jun 2011 17:58:54 +0200

compiz (1:0.9.4+bzr20110606-0ubuntu1) oneiric; urgency=low

* New bug fix release:
- Switcher window borders are not properly unmapped with
(unity|gtk)-window-decorator (LP: #789580)
- maximized window is displaced (LP: #772612)
- Unity launcher gets visible while screensaver is active (LP: #771391)
- 1 pixel icons in notification-area-applet when compiz is the windows
manager (LP: #767095)
* debian/patches/00_bzr_fix_apps_without_startupid.patch:
- removed: upstream

-- Didier Roche <didrocks@ubuntu.com> Mon, 06 Jun 2011 16:18:08 +0200

compiz (1:0.9.4+bzr20110415-0ubuntu2) natty; urgency=low

* debian/patches/00_bzr_fix_apps_without_startupid.patch:
- from upstream trunk, fix crash on applications removing _NET_STARTUP_ID
(LP: #759363)

-- Didier Roche <didrocks@ubuntu.com> Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:40:43 +0200

Bill

jerrylamos
June 7th, 2011, 04:37 PM
7 June daily build Live the buttons are back on all four of my test pc's ranging from new to years old.

Depending on the video card some things are a little flaky like the BFB on this radeon xpress 200 isn't visible but works. This video runs 3D fine but of course with the Live it is running 2D. The BFB is visible on my three other pc's.

Well, it works, so I'm O.K.

Jerry