PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Del key not working?

sparker256
June 1st, 2011, 10:19 AM
Anyone seeing this behavior? The keyboard "Delete" key seems disabled and I have to right click and pick "move to trashcan" from the drop down menu. I have a keyboard on my desktop machine and would like to use if that is still possible. :)

Thanks Bill

Framli
June 1st, 2011, 10:37 AM
Try Shift+Del, it works for me. Maybe it's the new Nautilus behavior.

afv
June 1st, 2011, 11:38 AM
It's Ctrl+Delete now. ;)

MacUntu
June 1st, 2011, 12:35 PM
Indeed sounds like a GNOME behavior: "Because you could accidentally hit the Del key and move files to Trash!" :D

You'll soon have to verify every action with an iris scan.

Framli
June 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Apparently it's
Ctrl+Delete to move to the trash
Shift+Delete to have a confirmation dialog about moving something to the trash

I'm very curious about the rationale behind this...

lucazade
June 1st, 2011, 02:07 PM
Apparently it's
Ctrl+Delete to move to the trash
Shift+Delete to have a confirmation dialog about moving something to the trash

I'm very curious about the rationale behind this...

I'd like to know as well why I've to use Alt+left mouse+right mouse click on gnome-panel to get the contextual menu (edit panel properties).

It seems a magic combo like for MortalKombat or StreetFighter :P

mc4man
June 1st, 2011, 02:37 PM
To reset delete button
dconf-editor
org > gnome > desktop > interface > check can-change-accels.

open nautilus > highlight any file > edit > mouse over delete, press delete button twice

Or if preferred do it over the 'move to trash' so delete moves to trash

rationale behind this..
same as removing Ctrl+Alt+backspace, scroll on desktop ect. ect.

Framli
June 1st, 2011, 02:49 PM
same as removing Ctrl+Alt+backspace, scroll on desktop ect. ect.
I meant the rationale behind having Shift+Del and Ctrl+Del with two different behaviors: one opening a confirmation dialog before moving to trash and not the other.

mc4man
June 1st, 2011, 03:16 PM
I meant the rationale behind having Shift+Del and Ctrl+Del with two different behaviors: one opening a confirmation dialog before moving to trash and not the other.

I must of missed something - I thought one moved to trash, the other deleted, confirmation is just a nautilus preference that applies to both.

Framli
June 1st, 2011, 03:33 PM
My mistake, I misread the prompt. :rolleyes:
Shift+Del doesn't move to the trash, but deletes after confirmation.

sparker256
June 1st, 2011, 06:30 PM
My mistake, I misread the prompt. :rolleyes:
Shift+Del doesn't move to the trash, but deletes after confirmation.
I would think just pressing "Delete" should put the item in trash. If you press shift or and other key plus "Delete" with conformation it does not go in the trash. I do not understand why these concepts that have been around for a very long time needed to be changed. :)

Bill

mc4man
June 1st, 2011, 07:17 PM
I do not understand why these concepts that have been around for a very long time needed to be changed
In cases like this it didn't need to be changed, someone (s) in a position to change decided to.
If you don't like it then change it back so delete moves to trash.

sparker256
June 1st, 2011, 08:43 PM
In cases like this it didn't need to be changed, someone (s) in a position to change decided to.
If you don't like it then change it back so delete moves to trash.
Sorry re read your post and after a little playing around I do have the behavior that I wanted. Thank you and am slowly learning to understand that most can be changed if you know where to look. :D

Bill