PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Tunesviewer needs restrictions...

5h4dy
June 1st, 2011, 12:11 AM
I understand that the point of tunesviewer is to access the iTunes store, but I downloaded a song for FREE and was then prompted to install the plugins, and then it said I needed to make sure I had proper licensing for the downloaded song. Needless to say I deleted it immediately. There should be a restriction for downloading music illegally.

I just hope this one download won't have the feds knocking on my door. I'm an anti-pirate because there's no point in going to jail for music. And not only that these musicians are trying to make money with their work, so...point.

Joe of loath
June 1st, 2011, 12:53 AM
... what?

AFAIK, tunesviewer is used to download iTunes university files (IE lecture podcasts) in Linux. Nothing to do with pirated music.

5h4dy
June 1st, 2011, 01:10 AM
Well it is 100% possible to download a song that costs $0.99 on iTunes..I did it as an experiment to see if it would bring up a box to log into itunes or pay...it simply downloaded the song and then asked for me to download the codec. So, it is possible. If it's meant for podcasts only, it should connect only to the podcasts section. You can click on Music and then in the main window, it gives you the price for the song/album and the artist etc. But on the bottom screen where you download from, the songs are downloadable without restriction...so I don't know.

Joe of loath
June 1st, 2011, 01:28 AM
Are we looking at the same program? The only music I see is compilation podcasts.

NoBugs!
June 1st, 2011, 01:29 AM
Actually, it's not possible. Did you notice how small that file is? It's the preview-url, which happens to be the same as the full url on podcasts. Downloading that would be effectively the same as clicking "preview" in iTunes and recording on a device. And since you got a license error, that small preview must have DRM protection anyway.