PDA

View Full Version : What transport mean do you prefer on short distances?

PCaddicted
May 29th, 2011, 10:47 PM
My favourite is the bicycle-Eco-friendly,good exercise and fun :)

Dustin2128
May 29th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Depends. If the weather's nice, I'll walk. But living in the south, driving is the only option during the summer- it's at least 90-100 June-August.

Hwt
May 30th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Depends. If the weather's nice, I'll walk. But living in the south, driving is the only option during the summer- it's at least 90-100 June-August.

You're telling me. It's even worse if you live by the coast because the humidity. I walked 5 miles yesterday and about had a heat stroke (for the record I am considered to be within the "healthy" weight on the BMI charts). I normally ride my bike for up to 1.5mi distances, and drive for anything further than that. For aforementioned reasons, however, bike riding is getting difficult.

Gremlinzzz
May 30th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Bicycle gets me there and back with time to spare.
walking's just to slow.:D

Artemis3
May 30th, 2011, 12:30 AM
IMO unless going uphill, bicycle is better as much more air moves around you refreshing you more than walking or running (and it has a much lower impact to your knees). But of course if you had a tram in that route, you wouldn't mind ;). Bonus if they let you bring your bicycle aboard so you can finish the short distances from to the system...

When you do have to go uphill, the difference with walking diminishes, but it compensates after you reach a point when you can cruise and get refreshed again.

Macskeeball
May 30th, 2011, 12:54 AM
For short distances? Well, obviously, that would have to be the hot air balloon. I mean it only makes sense.

Bandit
May 30th, 2011, 02:13 AM
This lol.. Its been up to 91F today and currently still 88F at 8:12PM.
I love my cars A/C. Plus the humidity can get so bad you will need a 2nd shower after just getting in the car.

tgalati4
May 30th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Electric scooter or bicycle.

CraigPaleo
May 30th, 2011, 07:51 AM
"Short" is relative. I take my car almost everywhere I go. If I want exercise, I'll jog. :)

I try to do my shopping on my day off or on my way home from work, which is about 50 miles away. If I need an extra something, I'll still drive to the store, which is about 7 miles away. There is no public transportation where I live and I'm not going to spend a couple of hours walking to the store just for a roll of toilet paper.

Paqman
May 30th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Generally car. The town I live in has rail links if you want to go longer distances, but we're a bit scuppered for short distances. I've got a bike, but I don't use it that much as generally when I'm going somewhere short distance it's either to buy something or because I'm taking my daughter somewhere.

tapi0n
May 30th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I'll walk nearly anything.

I would prefer going by bike, but it's just such a hassle to keep your bike with you all the time (locking it up somewhere, make sure it's not in a prohibited zone, getting your bike when you're done, ...).

CraigPaleo
May 30th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I'll walk nearly anything.

I would prefer going by bike, but it's just such a hassle to keep your bike with you all the time (locking it up somewhere, make sure it's not in a prohibited zone, getting your bike when you're done, ...).

In what types of places would bikes be prohibited? Just curious.

tapi0n
May 30th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I live in a city where loads of students live. A lot of students means a lot of bikes. To keep the city 'clean' there are only certain areas where you can park your bike.

jshepherd
May 30th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Got to say, any excuse to go out on my motorcycle.
Although I'm keen to cycle (bicycle) soon as fuel costs are getting silly now, not to mention the obvious health benefits of fresh air and exercise.