PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] lousy projectm performance with Radeon HD 5700

korgoth28
May 29th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I built a new computer a while back with a phenom II 3.2 ghz (unlocked to 4 stable cores :cool:) and a Radeon HD 5700 Series (I think this one: http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-100283-3L/dp/B0035K6H2C).

In theory this system should be able to crank up the settings pretty high, right? With nothing else running but youtube in iceweasal, it can barely handle 512 megabyte textures and all the other settings pretty low. If I make the window much larger than the default 512x512 the framerate crashes, and that's a pretty small window (my resolution is 1400x900). In the past, with much worse systems, I could turn the mesh down to 64 and fullscreen would go smoothly, though it would be unwatchably ugly. Now it's unwatchably ugly AND the framerate doesn't seem to be much better.

Install of projectm was extremely smooth.

I vaguely remember installing disabling and installing drivers manually a while back (I started with a pretty minimal install). But I thought I got it so it was using the driver offered by ATI without being slowed down by ndiswrapper. Could the driver be the issue?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Temüjin
May 29th, 2011, 10:37 PM
What version of Ubuntu are you using? Also, post output of:

fglrxinfo
EDIT: BTW, ndiswrapper is a tool for using Windows wireless drivers

korgoth28
May 29th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I'm using 11.10.

It probably wasn't NDISwrapper I'm thinking of. I was trying to get wireless cards to work at the same time so I'm probably getting them confused.

Also:

root@localhost:~# fglrxinfo
bash: fglrxinfo: command not foundI take it that would be a good thing to install?

EDIT: istalled a bunch of packages with fglrx in them and now it says:

root@localhost:/home/mike# fglrxinfo
Segmentation fault

Temüjin
May 29th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I'm not sure if fglrx installs on 11.10 yet :\ Post output of:

glxinfo

korgoth28
May 29th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Still "command not found".

Temüjin
May 30th, 2011, 01:43 AM