PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion about social networks?

PCaddicted
May 28th, 2011, 07:58 PM
My opinion about this is that social networks(Facebook,hi5,twitter,Netlog,MySpace etc.) are a bad thing.Users sometimes give away too much personal information on them.Also,hackers and sexual predators use them a lot in order to achieve their evil goals(btw,I hope you know what is social engineering).Needless to say that dangerous malware often circulates on social networks.To cut a long story short,I am personally against social networks.
What about you?

Tibuda
May 28th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Neither. Just don't overuse it and don't expose yourself too much.

el_koraco
May 28th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Good for hitting on chicks you just met the other night.

uRock
May 28th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I think Facebook is great for its purpose. As long as folks remember that everything they post there can be viewed by the whole world.

red_Marvin
May 28th, 2011, 08:29 PM
It is an enabler whose victims cannot help but splurging all their personal information online, an amoral tool for those who can be trusted to make their own decisions or a revolutionizing new way to communicate, all depending on who you ask.

athenroy
May 28th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I'm sorta neutral on that. I have a FB account, but rarely get on. As mentioned, they can be a security risk and you do have to be very careful what you post. On the other hand, I did run into several of the people I went to high school with and it was good to re-hash old times. You also have to be very careful of 'poisoned pages" if you run Windows at all. A lot of viruses on social sites. My roommate, Roberta, comes from a large family, most of whom live in another state, so she can keep up with family news through FB, so for her it works out good.

PCaddicted
May 28th, 2011, 09:31 PM
If you run Linux you don't really have to be afraid of viruses.And when it comes to social networks,you must care about how naive you are...

Thewhistlingwind
May 28th, 2011, 09:32 PM
It is an enabler whose victims cannot help but splurging all their personal information online.

Seriously............

The futures going to really annoy me.

Irihapeti
May 28th, 2011, 10:50 PM
What the OP said about social networks can also - at least, the non-tech bits - be said about the local pub.

I suspect that there are naive and over-trusting people who will divulge too much no matter where they are. That is the major problem.

I'm not that keen on facebook etc myself, but I may have to have a facebook presence for business reasons. I'm trying to work out how to do that securely. One way that's occurred to me is to treat it as though everything is totally public.

Oh, and here's one professional view (http://counsellingresource.com/features/2009/11/12/understanding-the-psychology-of-social-networking/) of social networking that I find amusing.

Aquix
May 28th, 2011, 10:55 PM
It's a dream for burglars. Not only is it posted that someone is away but they post pictures of where they are so one can be sure. Facebook killed a lot of carefull habits people had been using for decades.

uRock
May 28th, 2011, 11:49 PM
It's a dream for burglars. Not only is it posted that someone is away but they post pictures of where they are so one can be sure. Facebook killed a lot of carefull habits people had been using for decades.

That I have seen and agree with.

sffvba[e0rt
May 29th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Social Networks are a tool. If people miss-use or use them incorrect it is their problem. I have uses for it and I like it.

Spr0k3t
May 29th, 2011, 04:55 AM
I have an opinion about social networks, but neither for or against them. So I couldn't vote.

Macskeeball
May 29th, 2011, 05:07 AM
I have an opinion about social networks, but neither for or against them. So I couldn't vote.

Same here.

They're useful for keeping in touch with far away people, memorizing names, organizing events, and conveniently broadcasting to multiple people rather calling people individually. They're bad for privacy, sometimes for security (ex: FB messages linking to malware, or social engineering). Friends can send annoying app invites. Sometimes I find out things about people that I'd rather not know.

It's a mixed bag in my opinion, but there's no poll option for that. I suppose I could answer "I don't know," but I do know my opinion and I've given it some thought.

Disclaimer: My cousin works for Facebook.

Bazon
May 29th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Separation of private and professional identity is a very good thing, as that increases your freedom in both contexts - private and job.
Facebook and others only compromise that separation - not only the default settings, Zuckerberg strongly believes that everyone should only have one identity.
Many people ran into serious problems caused by things they did on Facebook. And to make it worse: You don't even have to do something, it is enough if someone else is posting a compromising photo and another one tags you on that...
No thanks!

PS:
sudo apt-get remove indicator-me is one of the first things I do on a fresh installation.

Bazon
May 29th, 2011, 07:00 AM
PS:
The real reasons why you should NOT use Facebook:
http://www.dedoimedo.com/life/facebook.html

cracker89
May 29th, 2011, 09:18 AM
i think theyre a waste of good time and resources, like many other timeless endeavours of men, in order to discuss lame things and pretend ur a pretty blonde with a phone stuck to ur ear. and ofcourse, announcing what you had for lunch.
does anybody not feel facebook is this huge sham to get people to give up everything about them voluntarily? and to let people think they can make a difference because now their voice is booming across the internet..! when actually theres nothing that really happens from posting on twitterr. none of its really making a difference. its all an illusion.

forums is my kinda thing!

yetiman64
May 29th, 2011, 09:41 AM
i think theyre a waste of good time and resources, like many other timeless endeavours of men, in order to discuss lame things and pretend ur a pretty blonde with a phone stuck to ur ear. and ofcourse, announcing what you had for lunch.
does anybody not feel facebook is this huge sham to get people to give up everything about them voluntarily? and to let people think they can make a difference because now their voice is booming across the internet..! when actually theres nothing that really happens from posting on twitterr. none of its really making a difference. its all an illusion.

:shock: - someone actually read my mind - :shock: Thanks for saving me all that typing cracker89. :D

cracker89
May 29th, 2011, 11:05 AM
:shock: - someone actually read my mind - :shock: Thanks for saving me all that typing cracker89. :D

lol... ur welcome. propoganda man... its been a long time in the coming. the government sponsors facebook. and the world government thats sought to be coming, they're going to make it their official database catalogue. :D

JRV
May 29th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I am not for or against social networks.
I don't use them because of lack of interest.

Random_Dude
May 29th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I don't use social networks for two reasons:
1 - I don't feel comfortable spreading too much personal information on-line, or give it to companies which might use it in a way that I don't approve (Facebook).
2 - I already spend too much time on the internet, the last thing I need is one more reason.

Cheers :cool:

Paqman
May 29th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I guess it all depends on how much you like your friends ;)

Fedz
May 29th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Voted: I like using social networks.

1) Nobody on earth is forcing you to give away personal info!
2) Nobody is forcing you to click .exe & or similar also friend & or meet sexual predators!

The problem with social networks is not the actual medium it's the person using it ;-)

cracker89
May 29th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Voted: I like using social networks.

1) Nobody on earth is forcing you to give away personal info!
2) Nobody is forcing you to click .exe & or similar also friend & or meet sexual predators!

The problem with social networks is not the actual medium it's the person using it ;-)

Or in this case, huge masses of people. I think you can do something so much more novel with so much money and so many resources, coupled with the time people spend doing nothing online. Infact, thats something the whole world needs. I love the way how aliens are always shown in movies as a whole very focussed race which has used up all its planetary resources in the most radical technology ever, and not high end graphics cards and movies with budgets the size of a small african nation. Tch.

Zero2Nine
May 29th, 2011, 02:21 PM

Forums can be exactly the same in that regard. Does posting in this thread make a difference?

cracker89
May 29th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Forums can be exactly the same in that regard.

I beg to differ. Forums like this one here, are for specific purpose. I am not sitting and making friends or reading peoples results in quizzes about their inner personality based on mini-games.

Does posting in this thread make a difference?

This is a conversation. And it wasnt intended to help, unlike many posts on twitter which have a fake air of doing something about things. See, my point is, you (not you personally) think, as compared to someone in the middle ages, that you have a voice in public affairs and cross border communications, which isn't false, but then at the same time, you dont really get to see instances where a strong voice on fb, as against a strong voice through say a more ancient vessel like a book or a newspaper, had an effect on anything substantial. For eg, if that Mexico oil leak had happened in the 1800's instead of now, pretty much the same thing would have happened, comparitively no liability escape, only then by reason of royalty or the church or something. The combined voices of oh so many troubled tweeters and fb-fanatics didnt do much, did it?

Its your choice at the end of the day.. I choose not. Because this is how I feel. And a lack of interest and because I really need to study. Even as we speak... :P

Cheers.

Frogs Hair
May 29th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I don't use them , but others find them useful. Social networks have been helpful for communicating with the rest of the world during and after natural disasters and political upheavals .

CraigPaleo
May 29th, 2011, 06:12 PM

It's probably not a good idea to keep burglars as friends. If it's a non-friend who found out because you don't keep your page private, that's your own fault really.

Separation of private and professional identity is a very good thing, as that increases your freedom in both contexts - private and job.
Facebook and others only compromise that separation - not only the default settings, Zuckerberg strongly believes that everyone should only have one identity.
Many people ran into serious problems caused by things they did on Facebook. And to make it worse: You don't even have to do something, it is enough if someone else is posting a compromising photo and another one tags you on that...
No thanks!

It's actually quite simple to create different lists with different permissions on FB. When I had a couple thousand gaming friends, they couldn't see anything I didn't want them to.

As for who can see photo's I'm tagged in, I have that set to "only me." If you familiarize yourself with the privacy settings you shouldn't really have those problems.

aysiu
May 29th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I love social networks, especially Facebook--not because the Facebook technology is anything special, but because "everyone" is using it. If all my friends ditched Facebook tomorrow for Diaspora, I'd use Diaspora instead. I have no loyalty to Facebook in particular. It's just a tool for connecting with people--same as email, same as text messaging, same as a phone call. All of these tools are controlled by corporations. Even if I'm hosting my own email, I'm still sending emails to my friends at gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc. I text message via Google Voice. My phone calls go through T-Mobile. My social networking interactions go through Facebook.

If you want to use technology with the majority of technology users (not just other tinfoil hat-wearing power users), at some point, you give up your "privacy" to a corporation. They'll know when you're calling or texting or posting and for how long and, if the government intervenes, probably about what as well.

If you live in a cave with no electricity, no library, no credit cards, no security cameras, no DMV, and you're somehow able to post on the Ubuntu Forums and be happy with your existence, good for you.

I don't post anything on Facebook that I wouldn't want Facebook knowing, and I adjust my privacy settings appropriately. Facebook has allowed me to keep in touch with friends. That's what matters to me. And, yes, I do want to see what they had for lunch. And I do want to see the latest pictures of their babies. When I was in secondary school, I wrote postcards and letters to my friends, and I swore I'd never use email. When I went to university, all my friends were using email to communicate, and people were no longer replying to postcards and letters, so I caved and switched to email. Now the preferred mode of communication among my friends is social networking.

If I want to communicate with myself, I use whatever medium I like. If I want to communicate with my friends, it only makes sense to communicate with the medium they use.

aytech
May 29th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Generally I consider social networks a waste of time. But sometimes good to get in touch with people you know from other cities or countries.

Allavona
May 29th, 2011, 07:00 PM
MyFaceSpaceTwittBook - All are worthless.

I social network all the time. I do it by getting off of my rear-end and going places.

Concerts, Parks, neighborhood gatherings, etc... And I don't have give *REQUIRED INFO* in order to do so. Seriously, there is no reason for them to ask for the information that they ask for.
Wait, yes there is! So they can shop it and pharm it around and you can get all kinds of mail and phone calls, and on days when the security team is sleeping (mostly everyday) people can hack your account and....you all know the drill.

Now for the PLUS side! In todays busy world it is an easy way to keep up with friends and family and Fred from 3rd grade whom you haven't seen in 30 years:P

I just wish that facebook and the like showed a bit more Social Responsibility.

buddyd16
May 29th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Facebook is great for making initial contact with people I used to know when I was younger and for those last minute birthday wishes at times when a phone call would be inconvenient or you just simple forgot.

It has also been a big help with getting back in touch with family members.

It really is what you make of it though. I just try to limit how much information I actually put up there.

buddyd16
May 29th, 2011, 07:05 PM
double post..sorry

aysiu
May 29th, 2011, 07:29 PM
MyFaceSpaceTwittBook - All are worthless.

I social network all the time. I do it by getting off of my rear-end and going places.

Concerts, Parks, neighborhood gatherings, etc... False dichotomy: the two aren't mutually exclusive. The people I interact with online are also going places--concerts, dinners, backpacking trips, etc. More importantly, I can't always meet up with these people in person, because they're in other states and other countries. I'd love to meet up for dinner with my old high school friend who loves in Sydney, but it's kind of far away.

And I don't have give *REQUIRED INFO* in order to do so. Seriously, there is no reason for them to ask for the information that they ask for. There isn't that much required info. Most of it is optional. And I know many people who just put in fake info anyway.

Wait, yes there is! So they can shop it and pharm it around and you can get all kinds of mail and phone calls, and on days when the security team is sleeping (mostly everyday) people can hack your account and....you all know the drill. I haven't gotten any more junk mail or phone calls since joining Facebook, but nice try.

uRock
May 29th, 2011, 07:57 PM
False dichotomy: the two aren't mutually exclusive. The people I interact with online are also going places--concerts, dinners, backpacking trips, etc. More importantly, I can't always meet up with these people in person, because they're in other states and other countries. I'd love to meet up for dinner with my old high school friend who loves in Sydney, but it's kind of far away.

There isn't that much required info. Most of it is optional. And I know many people who just put in fake info anyway.

I haven't gotten any more junk mail or phone calls since joining Facebook, but nice try.
+1 Using Facebook doesn't mean everyone sits at home talking to each other online instead of getting out doing things. It actually makes organizing events even easier. I spend maybe 5 minutes a day on Facebook and those five minutes are spread out over the day. Much easier and more convenient for my friends who all have different work schedules, because very few of us have 9 to 5 jobs here in the city that never sleeps.

Sharing images with folks via Facebook saves people the worries of having to open emails and download attachments. People can then comment on the images without having to type up an email or pick up the phone.

Facebook is one of the most secure sites I visit. It is easy to spot those infectious links that pop up from time to time on people's walls.

Private info required? No I haven't given FB my full name. They have my phone number which is an unlisted cell number and I have never received a spam phone call, nor have I received any new spam on my emails from FB. I am not worried about phone calls anyway, as all numbers that are withheld or long distance go straight to voice mail, unless the caller is in my contact list.

Facebook shows plenty of Social Responsibility in the fact their site has great permissions setups. With a few quick settings, you will not show up on searches and you can block certain people from seeing anything about you.

I think it is up to the end users to read up on how to keep their info private and how to be responsible with what they share. I wouldn't blame the provider for my own inability to do my part. That would be like expecting VW to send someone out to check and see if I am wearing my seat belt properly every time I get in my car. It is my responsibility, not theirs.

Macskeeball
May 29th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I think it is up to the end users to read up on how to keep their info private and how to be responsible with what they share. I wouldn't blame the provider for my own inability to do my part. That would be like expecting VW to send someone out to check and see if I am wearing my seat belt properly every time I get in my car. It is my responsibility, not theirs.

On the other hand, this is how complicated Facebook's privacy settings used to be: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/05/12/business/facebook-privacy.html

They've certainly improved since then, but my point is that they are responsible for the usability design of those settings.

cracker89
May 29th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Keeping in touch is keeping in touch. Yep, facebook is a good tool for communication. Probably..
But its this thing that its become. Is.. overhyped.. the word?

:P

I for one cant stand anything thats over hyped... so thats another reason!

Land lubbers!!!

CraigPaleo
May 30th, 2011, 02:44 AM
On the other hand, this is how complicated Facebook's privacy settings used to be: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/05/12/business/facebook-privacy.html

They've certainly improved since then, but my point is that they are responsible for the usability design of those settings.

Many people see numerous options as "complicated" no matter how they're organized. I just see a lot of options, not complication.

BrokenKingpin
May 30th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I personally do not use any of them, but I can see why some people do. That being said a lot of people spend way to much time on them instead of actually going out hanging out with friends and family.