PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Emac Hdd upgrade

jonnny_j22
May 28th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Background
- I've recently been donated a second emac by a friend that needs a new hdd. I want to add as much speed as possible, but don't know much about hdd transfer speeds

The Questions
1)sub £100 SSD vs 7200 16mb 3.5'' platter drive ? I can't seem to find much information here. As far as I can tell, the standard hard drive would be faster unless I'm prepared to spend a couple of hundred on a top of the range SSD - is this correct?

2) will a sata/ide converter slow the transfer rates? is it worth spending the extra 50% to get an ide drive with the same specs as a SATA drive, or just use the converter?

3) Thoughts on connecting the drive via firewire - how much slower would this be than connecting the drive via the ide port on the motherboard? I am only concidering this as I don't use the firewire ports for anything else, and getting to the hard drive is a total pain, not to mention the inherrant risk of electric shock on these machines.

Many thanks in advance for all your help!

jjex22
May 29th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Have you looked at usb? that would be faster than original firewire.

jonnny_j22
May 29th, 2011, 02:23 PM
unfortunately my emac is usb 1 and it can't boot from a usb hard drive, just flash drives.

handy
May 29th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I'd just stick a SATA drive in with a converter so you can just plug an IDE cable into it.

I use these on one of my machines & I don't notice any speed difference. The machine has drive drawers, so it gets both IDE & SATA drives (with adapters inside the drawers).

It is time consuming to replace the drive in the emacs. Be careful around the CRT & its components (no need to be paranoid though) & you won't get bitten. :)

[edit:] I've been inside many (at least 100) CRT monitors & never been bitten...