PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update broke my wireless?

aa4bb
May 27th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Update Manager popped up today with a small update, <1 MB. I let it update, as usual.

Since then, when I boot, my wireless light does not come on and I have no wireless networking. Everything's been fine with the wireless ever since I upgraded to 10.04 a year ago, until right now.

If I boot a live session in 10.04.2 from a USB drive, the wireless works fine. That's what I'm using to send this message.

I have a Dell Latitude D620 with about 2BGB memory.

Could the Update have done this? I haven't installed any new software or done anything out of the ordinary otherwise.

josephmills
May 27th, 2011, 03:07 AM
hi there could we see a
lspci -nn and a
lsusb and a
rfkill list all thanks

ApOgEEs
May 27th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Perhaps, you may check this answers which might be related to your issue:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-nettool/+question/155040

aa4bb
May 27th, 2011, 06:24 PM
apogees and josephmills,

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I must confess: I didn't research it thoroughly enough before posting my question and I gave incomplete and misleading information on the problem by accident.

The problem was actually "Networking disabled". That included wired as well as wireless. By search, I found reports of a setting "NetworkingEnabled=false" in the file NetworkManager.state in directory /var/lib/NetworkManager being responsible. Once I edited that file and changed "false" to "true" and rebooted the system, everything is fine.