PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video chat through Gmail - no mic on camera

stevovets
May 26th, 2011, 12:39 AM
So, after screwing around a bit, i successfully managed to video chat through GMail with my HP KQ246AA webcam. I can see the other person perfectly, and they can see me. However, their microphone is working but mine won't at all.

I went through the Webcams Troubleshooting page on the wikiUbuntu site:
"6. Fixing Audio problems with USB webcam

I installed a Logitech webcam Pro 9000 on a new Karmic/9.10 32bit install. Video worked "out of the box" but there was no audio. After hunting around for a while, I remembered how I had a similar problem trying to get digital audio out over hdmi on another 9.10 box. The problem was that the alsa settings (not visible under pulseaudio) had the IEC958 device muted (silly setting if you ask me!).
Anyway, I took the following steps to getting my webcam audio to work:

start a terminal window/xterm window
type: sudo alsamixer
using the tab key, make sure to be either in "all" or "capture" mode
using the left/right arrow key, navitage to the correct "slider"

(I'm not sure if the right one was front mic (left/right) or just plain "mic" or Mic Boost but I enabled them all)

if the value at the bottom of the slider says "M" then your device is on "mute" - Hit the "m" key to togger the mute / un-mute
using the up/down arrow, adjust the setting to get as much green as possible w/o getting in the red zone.
repeat for all lables that look like "mic", "front mic" "Mic Boost" etc...
exit alsamixer
test your audio. I installed Cheese to do a quick audio/video recording test but you can also test with "sound recorder" or the skype test call etc...

That should do it!"

...But that didn't do it. I tried basically every combination of muting and unmuting, switching channels, things of that nature. Nothing seems to get it. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

PLEASE!?

IWantFroyo
May 26th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Open a terminal and just type 'alsamixer' without the sudo.

Hit f4 (capture) and bring it all the way up.

Let us know if this fixes it! Good luck!

stevovets
May 26th, 2011, 01:18 AM
eeh, no dice on that :-k

IWantFroyo
May 26th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Does Jockey (Additional Drivers) bring anything up?

stevovets
May 26th, 2011, 01:30 AM
nope, doesn't list anything